Fog Lights Today - pdc {P}
I was in Sheffield last night and after looking at the weather in the City centre at 11pm, decided it was probably best not to get back to Manchester via the Snake or Woodhead passes, and instead elected to go back on the M1/M62 via Leeds. What a good decision it turned out to be, for I was in the most severe fog from joining the M1 all the way to Halifax, about 50 miles. Once the fog had lifted the majority of vehicles still had their fog lights on, so I guess that the people of Yorkshire and Greater Manchester can look forwards to loons driving with their fogs on for the next 4 months now.
Fog Lights Today - Burnout2
Rest assured that many of the motorists of Berkshire, Hampshire and Middlesex have no concept of what constitutes "severely reduced visibility" as opposed to some light fog either.
Fog Lights Today - daveyjp
Same this morning in Leeds/Bradford. Slight mist in my area of Leeds but plenty of fog lights. Get to Thornbury in Bradford and the fog descends, visibility still at 100m+ all the way in to Bradford and there are vehicles merrily running round with no lights at all! In built up areas with busy traffic I can see no point in using rear fog lights whatsoever. I thought they were designed to be used as a warning to vehicles catching you up during quiet periods, if I'm going at 20 mph in a queue of traffic I'm more than aware of the car in front without being blinded by their fog lights!
Fog Lights Today - 3500S
hmm, I can re-iterate that. Early this morning inbetween Slough and Windsor was some of the worst fog I've seen for a long time. Of course, all fogs on. Speed down.

Check rear view and a car comes out of the mist ON SIDE LIGHTS!!!

Jesus wept.

Fog Lights Today - peterb
Saw a Daewoo this morning on front & rear fogs + no other lights at all!
Fog Lights Today - b3gon
I was overtaken in the fog this morning by a car with no foglamps on, one rear light, and as it turned out, only one brake light.

At least he had gone to the trouble of installing a fully lit up xmas tree on his dash!!
Fog Lights Today - Mark (RLBS)
Prat coming out of Aylesbury this morning in a Merc CLK, on the dual carriageway driving at about 80mph, fog bad enough for me to be doing 45mph ish, and he had no lights on at all !!
Fog Lights Today - OldPeculiar
There was quite a lot of variation in lighting on the M4 today ranging from no lights, side lights, fogs and even someone who thought that a display of christmas lights was sufficant!

Perhaps the thread should be renamed as Fog Lights Today, and tomorrow and next week.........
Fog Lights Today - CM
There I was driving on the outskirts of Croydon (en route to meet a fellow BRer) and what should I see at 11.30 but a BMW 5 series with side lights on along with the front fogs.

It was silver in colour, with natty yellow and orange reflective stickers all over and some blue lights on top.
Fog Lights Today - BobbyG
The Merc driver probably assumed that if his car needed lights on, then the Merc would turn them on automatically....
Fog Lights Today - Pugugly {P}
Front fogs have become the designer lights of choice. I can't recall in previous years so many being lit in normal (albeit dark) conditions. What is wrong with these people. They will be the first to bleat when the Old Bill plonks them a well deserved thirty quidder.
Fog Lights Today - No Do$h
They will be
the first to bleat when the Old Bill plonks them a
well deserved thirty quidder.

If only they would! I would love to see the guys working with the ANPR vans pull a few of these numpties.

Isn't it about time the DVLA issued a small sticker with every tax disc reminder, to be placed by the fog light switches with a reminder of the correct use and penalties for failure to comply? Follow this with a zero tolerance crackdown and Gordon's coffers swell, Police targets are met and I cancel my order for a brace of Milan anti-tank missiles, (foglight abusers for the annihilation of).
Fog Lights Today - GroovyChick{P}
Seem to have had a mare driving today - M60 this morning a BMW with not one single light on at all!!!!

Complete stupidity if you ask me.

GC
Fog Lights Today - GroovyChick{P}
I meant STUPIDITY! ;-)

Duly edited. Don\'t do it again.... {wags finger}

No Dosh

mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Fog Lights Today - Colin M
I just flew back from Los Angeles this evening. We had to carry out an automatic landing as the reported visibility was down to 400 metres in fog.

Got out of the airport and onto the M25 where around 25% of drivers had front and/or rear fogs on. The Highway Code states 100m as suggested visibility for their use, but why oh why do all these idiots think that they need rear fogs in heavy traffic?

The drive home was 100 times more stressful than flying as I was continually dazzled by the charge of the light brigade. No doubt we'll see them driving around for the next 3 weeks with them all left switched on.

Mr Plod, could you please start enforcing some of these laws?

Fog Lights Today - Pugugly {P}
One good thing last Christmas, the Police locally took to stopping these people and using the lights as a "moving traffic offence" they captured a few chancers in the rush hour after Office parties. Good thinking.
Fog Lights Today - SR
Slight departure from the topic, but I've always wondered why on my car (Seat Leon) I can't put on the rear fog lights without the front ones being on first.

I alway thought that the rears were a legal requirement (and more useful) while the fronts are just an option, so surely the rears should come on first?

Is this OK, bad design or worse?
Are you sure your switches are the right way round?
Fog Lights Today - Dynamic Dave
Slight departure from the topic, but I've always wondered why on
my car (Seat Leon) I can't put on the rear fog
lights without the front ones being on first.

On my Vectra the rear foglights will only work when the headlights are on; or sidelights and front fogs are on. If I turn the front fogs off when only on sidelights, the rears go out as well.
Fog Lights Today - CM
On my BMW5, I can only have my rear lights on when the fronts are on. I haven't tried to see whether the fronts come on by themselves but I doubt it as side lights were needed on my old 3 series.
Fog Lights Today - CM
OK, so who is going to find the OB I saw in his car using his front fogs in the middle of the day?
Fog Lights Today - doctorchris
only time I have ever found front fogs useful was when both dipped beam headlamp filaments failed simultaneously miles from anywhere and the foglights were useful as headlamps as they are both mounted just next to the headlamps.
Fog Lights Today - doug_523i
I think foglights should automatically reset to off when the ignition is turned off, then we wouldn't have to put up with days of being blinded in clear weather. Surely the manufacturers could inlcude this feature quite cheaply.
weirdly my Landcruiser does reset its rear fogs when the ignition is turned off, but for some reason not the front ones.
That's to illuminate all those lemming-like pedestrians.
you're gonna get a slap, you are.
Fog Lights Today - BazzaBear {P}
You pair having a tiff?

On the subject of when to use them, I use fronts in poor visibility (basically I define this as the fronts helping in any way).
The rears I use if visibility is bad and there's nothing behind me, the moment I notice someone is behind and has caught up, I turn them off. He already knows I'm there, I doubt he wants to be reminded of my presence by a burnt-out retina.
Of course, in really bad fog, I'd leave them on still, although again, if we were in traffic so he was right behind, I'd probably turn them off.
Oh, the other use I have for front fogs is flashing them at the numpties who have their's on all the time. I'm new to the forum, but think the term I'm looking for is 'the big pink fluffy dicers'
You pair having a tiff?

Nah, it's a mod thing
I'm new to the forum, but think the term I'm
looking for is 'the big pink fluffy dicers'

You catch on quick for bear. For added effect place in italics.

Just like AO.com only here you use < instead of [ (ditto the reverse, but if I put that up here the text will vanish!)
Fog Lights Today - Wilco {P}
Blimey we're going to have to appoint a moderator for the mods.

Back on topic, rain has replaced the fog but lights are still blazing merrily. In a lot of motoring years I can only recall one occasion when I thought it merited the use of rear fogs. OK I live in the soft South and don't get "real" weather but rear fogs have to be one of the most useless compulsory fittings on a modern motor.

Manufacturers don't always help by having warning lamps hidden away out of sight (Focus for e.g.). However the Focus is not bad to follow behind when illuminated - at least the lamp is low down and you can clearly see when the brakes come on...
Fog Lights Today - Dynamic Dave
I think foglights should automatically reset to off when the ignition
is turned off....

Vauxhall have been wiring their cars to do this for approx 5 yrs now. Either switching off the ignition or the lights cancels the fogs, both fronts and rears. Trouble is you still get the numpties who reach for the front fog light switch as soon as they get in their cars. What it needs is a sensor restricting the speed to a max of 40mph whenever fog lights are switched on.
Fog Lights Today - Imagos
i think we ought to ban fog.....
i think we ought to ban fog.....

Just wait. Tiny Blur and his chums will be working on a new piece of legislation even as we type.
Fog Lights Today - teabelly
Only they'll pass it over to a junior civil servant who promptly comes up with legislation to ban dogs or figs.....

teabelly
Fog Lights Today - borasport20
No, no, what the boss (Gordon Brown) is planning is to TAX fog. You'll have to buy a special tax disc if you intend to drive in fog, and if you are photographed (by infrared cameras, of course) driving in fog, you'll get a fixed penalty ticket...

--
Bora - what Bora ?
Fog Lights Today - jeds
Front fogs have no real use whatsoever and should be banned. Rear fogs are at least useful on occasions if only people new when and when not to use them and if only all manufacturers would fit self cancelling devices.
front fogs add as much to the "be seen" part of things as well as some "see" bits.
Fog Lights Today - henry k
Front fogs have no real use whatsoever and should be banned.

Fog lights are very useful in really thick fog. By that I mean 5 or 10 mph maximum speed. Fog like that appears to be rare in Surrey.
Rear fogs are at least useful on occasions if only people
new when and when not to use them and if only
all manufacturers would fit self cancelling devices.

Totally agree.

I think my old Sierra has the best arrangement of rear fog lights and other rear lights.
Side lights brighten to fogs.
Brake lights are next to the number plate so well away from fogs.
Twin reversing lights oo.
I seem to recall RR have the same arrangement so Ford is in good company.

I do not like single rear fog lights.
I note Focus hatch has single fog / reverse lights but saloon appears to have two of each. Bean counters again?
Fog Lights Today - Rob the Bus {P}
Yesterday, the Woolwich area was a little foggy in places, as was most of SE London. The instruction came over the radio in the bus to turn on our fog lights. The conversation went something like this:

(C = Control, D = Driver)

C: "All mobiles please turn their fog lights on"
D: "It's not foggy"
C: "Repeat, all mobiles please turn their fog lights on"
D: "But it ain't foggy here. Are you telling me to break the law?"
C: "No, I'm telling you to put your fog lights on"
D: "Same thing, cos it ain't foggy here"
C: "Yes, but it might be round the corner"
D: "Well, when I get round the corner I'll put 'em on then"
C: "Please put them on now"
D: "No"
C: "I must insist that you put them on now"
D: "I'll put them on when I think it's necessary, thanks"
C: "I'm telling you to put them on now"
D: "Bloomin' 'eck, would you tell me when to wipe my own posterior an 'all?"

I nearly crashed the bus I was laughing that much!

By the way, the driver in question wasn't me.

Cheers

Rob