Peugeot 406 D whooshing sound - Robin the Technician
Vehicle: Peugeot 406 1.9 diesel turbo Estate
Hi Guys,
I've started to notice a 'whooshing' sound on acceleration. It sounds associated with the turbo although when stationary revving the engine there is no noise. Is there a hose to the Turbo that may have split?? any ideas??

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Peugeot 406 D whooshing sound - RichardW
Robin,

There's not all that much boost pressure with no load on the engine, so you quite possibly won't notice any leakage when stationary.

First, is it due an oil change? My 3 XUD TD's have always got more noisy when they're due an oil change.

Then check all the hoses - quite possible one has spilt, or a clip has come off/got misplaced. I assume as it's a 406 the intercooler is down the front of the engine rather than on top? (There's a small seal between the top intercooler and the inlet manifold that blows out making a very effective whistle!)

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Hi Richard,
It is a couple of months away from an oil change- however the engine was replaced this Jan/Feb due to water getting into it and bending a rod. Ill have to look and see if I can identify the part you're referring to and establish if it was taken off during the rebuild. If it was, then it can go straight back to the dealer under warranty!!!
Thanks for the advice.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
I've been driving the car allweek now and have noticed a distinct lack of power on acceleration when needed. The 'whoosh' is quite loud outide the vehicle when accelerating. If i drive it very steadily, I get no whoosh which points to the turbo. Is the turbo on the exhaust manifold on the back end of the vehicle (the most inaccessible point).
Any advice please??
--
Peugeot 406 D whooshing sound - RichardW
Robin,

Yes the turbo is on the manifold down the back of the engine. My guess is you've just popped a hose off somewhere, or one is split, which should be pretty easy to find / sort. Start by looking over all the hoses and see if anything looks amiss - particularly note there is a small bore hose from the pipework to the injection pump.

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the advice. Glad to say I identified the problem- the intercooler to inlet hose had a 3in split in it. A fabricated repair using a best piece of B&Q drain pipe and two jubilee clips coupled with a bit of elbow activity with a hacksaw and job fixed!!! I have ordered a new hose from local Pug agent at £35 but the temp repair is holding well.

--