B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - BaseRSXmanual
He bought a brand new Ferrari 360 spider in San Francisco and drove it directly to a business meeting.

Anyway, after the meeting was done, Bill took a limo back to the airport (same day). Few days later Bill received a call from SF Mayor stating, "Mr. Gates I believe you left your Ferrari in SF. Our guys found it parked in the back alley, we've impounded the car for security purposes."

Bill said, "So sorry, I didn?t realize I drove that day. Ill have someone pick it up right away."

The joy of being the richest man in the world...you have the freedom to forget you just left your 200k+ Ferrari in an alley.
B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - J Bonington Jagworth
A curse as well, if you can't remember what you left where! A bit like having several houses, none of which you can call home (not that I have much sympathy).

"You can tell what God thinks of money by looking at the people he gives it to."

-------------------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum!
B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - eMBe {P}
BSRSX - Can you post a link to this story, or is it just another urban-legend?
Yeah, it might just be an "urban-legend". I read that story on another board. But so far no one has been able to find a real news story about it. It may be bs because why would the "mayor" be the one to call him? lol
B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - tone
If its true (why would he tuck it in a back alley?) then the he could have afforded another in the time it took the mayor to tell him
B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - ajit
Why on earth did he buy a ferrari ? I would have a sense of occasion each time I drove one - I would cut that meeting short to get back to driving it. Probably his wealth has numbed him!!!!
B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - Altea Ego
At least Lary Elison (CEO Oracle) has never forgoten where he parked his MIG
All kidding aside Bill does do a lot of good. He recently donated millions of dollars to our local inner city school district. He has no ties to Kansas City ether but he starting a program to help struggling schools systems and our was one of the first to get the help. He is also spending millions in Africa to help control the AIDS problem and help children there. So he doesn?t spend all that money on cars.
All kidding aside Bill does do a lot of good. >>

I second that. He has given Billions to good causes, and the most anyone/any-Govt has given to malaria research. He deserves all the success he made for himself; and thanks to him, a large number of backroomers are able to communicate here using his free products (InternetExplorer and OutlookExpress).

Motoring? ND

I just couldn\'t resist that ;o)
B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - THe Growler
I would have thought rather than Bill, it would have been all the long-suffering customers who bought his over-priced bug-ridden software, who should get the kudos. It was our money after all.

Actually I once lost a rented Corsa in an airport carpark and couldn't find it so I had to take a taxi.......

B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - pdc {P}
erm, his foundation does what it does for tax purposes, so although charities benefit, the motive isn't 100% selflessness. Not to mention the fact that free windows software to schools means more people tied into M$. Bot like Nestle with powdered baby milk.
"using his free products"

Ever wondered why they are free? Netscape had over 90% of the browser market before Bill belatedly discovered the Internet. Of course, MS is now on the receiving end of other people's freely distributed software, such as Linux and Open Office, and,naturally, is protesting loudly!
JBJ, Growler, pdc : tut, tut, now - keep it to motoring, chaps. My comment was regarding the software most people use to this motoring forum.

The place to debate communism vs capitalism, democracy vs dictatorship, monopoly vs oligopoly, monogamy vs polygamy, or the free contribution made by Gatism to onanism, etc. all belong elsewhere.
Citizen's Patrol - THe Growler
Vigilante moderation (should I add that to the Growler Oxymoron list, I wonder) is among us, folks.

Actually I did mention motoring: my point was if I of all people can lose a car in a car park then we can hardly blame poor old Bill for being a bit absent-minded himself. I almost split my Chinese bootleg Wranglers laughing ;+D "Bootleg" - get it, huh?! Nudge nudge.

Far be it from me to imply Mr Gates doesn't share his wealth out now and then for the most praiseworthy of reasons, but one might reasonably infer from his doing so that this generosity may accrue other benefits not entirely based on altruism.

There I go again, another "-ism". Just look at that :+O

"keep it to motoring, chaps"

Hmm. So Bill G as philanthropist is OK, but criticism of his products is off-thread? As for: "thanks to him, a large number of backroomers are able to communicate.." that is, with respect, complete tosh. We'd just be using Netscape and discussing Gary Kildall or Steve Jobs instead.

Anyway, if I was worth $100bn, I could afford to be generous, too. At least I'd give HJ some of it!

Still, I did like "..Gatism to onanism" :-)

B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - Mark (RLBS)
>>JBJ, Growler, pdc : tut, tut, now - keep it to motoring,

Malaria research is Motoring ??

Tell you what, you concentrate on keeping your own notes centred on motoring and I\'ll have a stab at the moderating stuff.
B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - Baskerville
>and,naturally, is protesting loudly!

And is building in controls to prevent other office programs reading Word and other file formats (this done under the guise of "security" so it will naturally gain huge support). He's a monopolist: giving computers to "good causes" just enhances that monopoly. But computing is not all about Microsoft yet: pretty soon those using the new M$ products will lose some of the ability to choose which software is on their computer. Choose StarOffice or the (free) OpenOffice instead of M$ Office: they are fully compatible for now and will run happily in Windows.

But back to the thread: there's a Porsche ad in this week's New Yorker magazine. Under a picture of a parked Porsche it says: "That time when a Porsche is parked. You don't get it back."
B. Gates bought a Ferrari and forgot it! - P.Mason {P}
Many years ago I had to take a painting up to London to submit it for an exhibition. I drove my Frogeye Sprite from Salisbury to Merton and caught the tube to central London. Later that evening I caught a train back to Salisbury from Waterloo, forgetting the Sprite.. A few minutes of panic when I got home, thinking my car had been stolen, until sanity returned. Caught the next train to Waterloo, back out to Merton and home at last in the early hours..
P.