Cherished Registrations. - David Woollard
I know HJ has a link to a reg no sales site in his FAQs but this one is well worth a look as well.

www.newreg.co.uk/

It has the facility for an on-line search of any number to see when/where/if it was issued.

Interesting to test it with a simple number we considered buying in the mid nineties. Turns out it was withheld and came up for auction ar Ragley Hall 8/9th June 1999. That's enough to tell me we were never in the running for it! Good detail for a free on-line search.

Also their FAQs have some of the best explanations I have ever seen concerning the tenous rights we have to cherished numbers. In particular the section on stolen/scrapped/written off cars is worthy of very close scrutiny if an owner is to avoid the indignity of buying his own number back from the insurance company.

David
Re: Cherished Registrations. - Colin M
I like the way NewReg apply a 100% mark up to numbers that can be bought from the DVLA website for £250. Their search function is far better than the DVLA one though.

Colin
Re: Cherished Registrations. - benjamin
the search function couldn't find any of the number plates i'm interested in, so i tried some current ones and again it didn't work. wierd.
Re: Cherished Registrations. - GRAHAM
Well, sorry to tell you, but I just ran the reg. mark I purchased 7 years ago from another source thru this site and it tells me it's never been issued!!
Re: Cherished Registrations. - David Woollard
Growler,

You're right, their wording needs changing on that homepage search. Tried it with the number I found and it did the same thing. You need to click the link where it offers to get more info....on the word "here". Then re-enter the number in the box.

I'd missed that because I searched using "Was it issued?" in the left hand menu frame.

When you do that it seems fine.

David
Re: Cherished Registrations. - Dave
Oh sh*t! I've proved it works on some known regs. But apparently my bike was never issued!

THis is after an HPI Check!

I'm going home now to scrap it!
Dave wrote:
>
> Oh sh*t! I've proved it works on some known regs. But
> apparently my bike was never issued!

I know why! Bike and car numbers can't be exchanged so they haven't bothered with bike plates.

Damn I'm clever...
Re: Cherished Registrations. - Ian Cook
That's funny, Dave - I entered the number for my old 1950 BSA and it found it straight away. I presume your bike is fairly new?

Ian
Not really. 1994.

I'm sure you can't transfer from bike to car or vice versa.

If it found you 1950 BSA then my theory must be wrong.

Odd though 'cos I tried it with my old bike and that didn't exist either.
I thought it was going to be mistake due to mud on the plate!

Interested about the bike/car reg thing, wonder how long that has been in place.

In my young days there was no such thing as a retention and the dealers would keep the nos on mopeds/bikes (hope that's right). Also I remember Dad selling a no from a vintage bike (yes OK, it was a bit off) which would have gone on a car. I see similar numbers going for £10,000 now on that site.

I've got a 1960 Land Rover for sale at the moment (trying to cut down on winter projects) and the only replies seem to be from no plate dealers. It's quite a sport seeing how far the enquires get before they say "what's the no as a matter of interest?"

David
Re: Cherished Registrations. - Mark (Brazil)
From the website in question..

"The rule currently restricting the participation of motorcycles in the number transfer arrangements will be abolished from 1 October 2001. From that date, all motorcycles (including mopeds) can participate freely provided the normal requirements of the number transfer facility are met. "

M.
That's interesting Mark.

If the transfer from bikes is OK again I know where there is a late fifties DKW with a number worth £600. The sale has fallen through at only £180 (needs an easy MOT), chap might accept £150 cash now. Apparently the first buyer turned out to be a right messer.

Think I'll get it and turn a shilling.

David
Re: Cherished Registrations. - Mark
Good idea David

might be worth searching the Fens for old Raleigh Wisps, NSU Quicklys, NVT 50s, BSA Dandys and the like as long as they still have their registrations attached. These were some of the 1950s models that were so useless when new that generally the Classic brigade are'nt interested in them. I am sure many of these things were dumped in sheds or barns when they blew up for the umpteenth time.

Wonder if this reg will also cover the transfer of numbers from those powered bicycle things, Cyclemotors I think, some of which also had registrations attached.

as ever

Mark
Re: Cherished Registrations. - mike harvey
I think the bikes would need to be mot'd to transfer the number.
Mike
Bike Registrations. - David Woollard
Thing is a small motorcycle is almost as easy to MOT as getting an old pushbike going. They are easier to store/move and if many people think the number can't be transferred there could be some real bargains.

I feel a business coming on.

David
Re: Bike Registrations. - Mark
David

I trust you will remember where the suggestion came from when you build your empire further.

as ever

Mark
Re: Bike Registrations. - David Millar
MoTs may be easy but how many of those 50s mopeds languishing in some old carrot store haveseen the light of day since V5s were needed? Persuading DVLA to give you a 'lost' number they could sell themselves may be harder.
David Woollard wrote:
>
> I thought it was going to be mistake due to mud on the plate!

For some reason this *really* made me laugh!
'Non-existent' registrations - John Slaughter
No Dave, keep it! If it's never been issued you're at no risk from cameras are you?

Some chance!

Cheers

John
Re: Bike Registrations. - Brian
You will find that a lot of the numbers that have fallen out of use have been reclaimed by the DVLA and sold on.
That happened to me when I tried to resurect a number, WAR 63.