chain cam engines - HectorG
I know HJ is keen on chain cam engines as opposed to the belt-driven variety. The belt change on my current VW GT TDi is horrendously expensive at a main dealer who has to do it to fulfill the terms of the warranty.

I am looking at cars at the moment and the Honda Jazz impresses me. I note from the CBCB that it has a chain cam.

Do any backroomers know if chains have to be changed, at what mileage would this normally be carried out and, if necessary, is this proceedure very expensive?

I would imagine that a new chain is not a cheap item.

HectorG
chain cam engines - Dude - {P}
With regular oil changes, a cam chain should last at least 100k miles, and whilst the cost of the chain would be higher than a belt, there would be little difference in labour charges.

Belts were introduced as a cost saving alternative by manufacturers, and with profit margins on retailing cars so tight, a means of generating profits for their workshops in their retail outlets.

I agree with H.J. that chains are vastly superior and would not buy a car without one, - when you read of the hassle caused by belts on this forum, - no thank you. !!!
chain cam engines - Roger Jones
I've just been advised by an expert attached to the MB Club simply that "the duplex timing chain does not wear". A bit too simple, I guess, but nevertheless comforting.
chain cam engines - andy n
cam belts should be banned!, to have a component as vital as the camshafts driven by a device which cannot be considered reiiable after about 50k miles is outrageous! a high quality roller chain opreating in the ideal conditions it would ,clean ,constant lubriction etc should last 200k miles, my twenty year old datsun 240z with 180k miles is still on its original duplex chain with no real wear in the rollers ,pins or bushings where as my much newer volvo v70 with half that mileage already has had three cam belts (thats progress for you) i note those masters of engine design mr honda kawasaki ,suzuki etc have as far as i know never used cam belts in there superb dohc engines long may it continue!
chain cam engines - Aprilia
The cam belt is a very inferior engineering solution. I make a point of steering clear of cam belt engines.

Modern cam chains should last until the rest of the engine requires major overhaul and would then be replaced as part of the rebuild work.

There are exceptions (some very old designs) and the Mercedes M102/103 engines which had simplex chains up until 1988.
chain cam engines - Cliff Pope
Timing chaims don't last forever - I have just replaced the 50-year old chain on my Ferguson TEA20 tractor. It didn't break, it just got a bit noisy.
chain cam engines - twinexhaust
Can anyone tell me if the Nissan Terrano 2.7 Turbo Diesel engine is chain or cam? Have looked in the manual but nothing to be found under service schedule. Car is 5 door, 5.5 yrs old with just under 40k on the clock. Used for the dreaded school run and pulling the horse trailer (with horse) which it is pretty good at (pulling the trailer that is). Using the local 2 man garage for servicing so wonder if i need to be considering this for the next service.

Thanks.
chain cam engines - Sooty Tailpipes
Dunno, but what I have noticed, is that most large diesels are driven by a chain.
I don't think Nissan use belts on *any* of their engines.
joosisiqu/Aprilia,

Thanks for the responses.
chain cam engines - doctorchris
Terrano diesel definitely has a timing chain which will last the lifetime of the engine.
chain cam engines - dirtguy
Most Diesels do not have timing chains due to large cubic Inches and high tourqe rate. Most of the time they use gears so you can time the cam and the fuel pump with the same set. If you want to see a chain realy wear out put one in a diesel, it will not take it.
chain cam engines - Dynamic Dave
Most Diesels do not have timing chains ....

Most Vauxhall diesels have, as well as Fords, and probably quite a few other manufacturers as well.
If you want to see a chain realy wear out put one in a diesel, it will not take it.

Why? All it is doing is connecting the crank to the camshaft. A diesel camshaft is no more difficult to rotate than a petrol one. A cambelt is more fragile, yet is also used in diesel engines.
chain cam engines - z
I had a Mitsubishi Sapporo, which had a chain driven cam. After about 100k miles, mostly with synthetic oil, the chain had accumulated enough wear that the timing of the valves and ignition was jittering around all over the place. In such a case, not just the chain but also all the related sprockets need to be replaced. Bikers will understand the whole situation.

This is one advantage of the belt drive; it doesn't 'stretch' from wear the way a chain does, and get all jittery. On the other hand, of course, it is much more likely to just snap, often without any warning or preliminary visible symptoms.
So, advantages of the chain: less likely to completely give up the ghost and inflict severe damage on an interference engine. And it usually lets you know it needs replacement before this happens.

Advantages of the belt: quieter, does its job better in old age than a chain would up until death finally arrives, current belt replacement intervals overlap the short end of chain replacement intervals, and it's cheaper to replace when it does come to that.

Also, amen to the poster who mentioned snapping a belt due to a seized water pump. Happened to me; luckily, in the above situation the water pump drive belt wasn't driving the camshaft, so I managed to get a mere 30 miles from home before the combined facts that it was the middle of the night and that the water pump drive belt had also been driving the alternator put an unsatisfactory end to my journey. But the common practice of driving the water pump from the cam drive belt substantially increases the risk of very nasty things happening, in my opinion.
chain cam engines - keith40

This is a very old message but belt driven can would not last 100k

Most have to be changed after 4 years

Chain driven diesels are far superior to belt driven all the worlds best diesels use chains

Duplex.

Mitsubishi had major build quality issues in the 1980, 1990 and early part of 2000.

They used inferior parts for cheapness duplex can chains should live as long as the end.

Sorry this person had a bad time but overall chains are better you will always get the odd one that fails but belts fail reqular and with very expensive outcomes whole engines destroyed with valves going through head and block. Belt driven cams make me nervous

chain cam engines - stan
I have a Honda Accord (1.8se 2000 model) I thought it had a belt (like every other car I have driven)having had one snap on me, if it hasn't I will be delighted

Regards

chain cam engines - Roy Beasley
i note those
masters of engine design mr honda kawasaki ,suzuki etc have as
far as i know never used cam belts in there superb
dohc engines long may it continue!

I wouldn't go so far as to quote Honda motorbike engines as a shining example of camchain technology. Over the past 40 years they have produced dozens of appalling camchain tensioner designs, some of which resulted in the same bikes being subject to multiple recalls (CX500 dot marks, anyone?). Indeed I understand that the latest VFRs provide yet another example (YOY did they scrap the gear driven cams of the 750 model?)

chain cam engines - Nick Field
Roy is correct, there was a time when Honda were incapable of getting the top end of any engine right. I remember the CX500 debacle well, preceded by the CBX550 disaster and followed by the hopeless VF750F. Honda VFR's, at least up until the latest VFR800 VTEC, have the best means of cam drive ever engineered - GEAR. These engines just go on and on and on, the rest of the bike will fall apart, but the motor lasts forever.

After the disintegrating cams of the 750F, Honda had to get it right and in doing so produced one of the all time greats of motorcycle engines. Collosal, rock hard gears in roller and needle roller bearing drive the cams, which in the early models are graced with easy screw and locknut adjusters.

I know of no current cars with gear driven cams.
chain cam engines - Roly93
I know of no current cars with gear driven cams.

I think the gentleman who said this was right in the respect of large truck engines and marine diesels, but in automotive diesels I dont think there are any now if there ever were.
chain cam engines - Garethj
In reply to Roger Jones;

That is an over simplification! My car had a triplex cam chain and it did wear out. It\'s fair to say that it was only done when the engine was rebuilt at 300,000 miles and because it\'s the easiest time to do it, but it did wear!

Replacement of cam-belts shouldn\'t be too hard, the single cam Polo belt was changed by me in less than half an hour and I\'d never done one before, the 2 cam belts on my Alfasud Sprint were changed in a few hours but that\'s not too bad for something that\'s only needed every 80,000 miles. Is that worse than replacing a cam chain in twice or three times that distance but it taking three times as long to do?

There are other factors to cam-belt life; even with additives to the rubber it\'s not a good idea to keep dousing them with oil from a leaky engine, and if engine access is generally bad it\'s difficult to change them but that\'s not necessarily a fault of using a belt instead of a chain.

Gareth
chain cam engines - Dizzy {P}
Gareth,

If only it were as simple as "change the belt every 80,000 miles". Lots of belts are running on borrowed time after about 40,000 miles. In fact belts can fail catastrophically at any time; witness my son's Clio which suffered sudden seizure of the water pump, the impact of which snapped the belt and wrote off the engine.

If your car was still running at 300,000 miles the chain was obviously still doing its job even if it was "worn out". Likewise, for instance, the old Austin/Morris 'A' series engines (A30/35, Minor, Mini, etc) which had timing chains that rattled very loudly after a while but probably never failed.

I'm not saying that all belt drives are bad. The 3" wide one on the Perkins Prima engine (Montego, Maestro, Volvo Penta marine) gives no trouble so far as I know, but it was designed for a long and arduous life, something missing from many minimal-budget belt-drives.

All my cars in 43 years of motoring have had chain drives - with one exception. That was a Ford with the early E93 engine having the camshaft driven by a Tufnol (engineering plastic) gear, and it failed suddenly and disastrously just like a belt drive!
chain cam engines - Garethj
Agreed for the water pump etc. seizure. Sometimes it looks like the engineers didn't learn anything from the Lancia Gamma!

Gareth
chain cam engines - Alan
I was told by a mechanic that you will hear a worn cam chain rattling well before it breaks and so it will not suddenly go without warning like a belt could. It would also probably last as long as the engine.
chain cam engines - bazza
Anyone out there prepared to type out a quick list of modern cars that are equipped with chain drive? I. for one, would find it very informative
Baz
chain cam engines - daryld
Put it this way...

We looked at the Audi A4 Multitronic: I decided against the car as I am fed up with cambelt changes..plus dealer would not specify the clutch life on the Multitronic, and wanted £450 to replace it if it did fail as it was not covered under warranty.

BMW 3 series: My wife can't stand the image..more common that a Mondeo (which is a better car in my view) even if it has a cam-chain engine.

So what's left? What has a cam chain and a traditional auto transmission?
chain cam engines - jc
Chains & belts both have advantages.Chains are good if they're short and have a good tentoiner(usually very expensive).Belts are simple & after 2000MY. should be ultra-reliable.
dotorchris, thanks for confirmation re. Terrano. Something less to worry about.
daryld

Mondeo has cam-chain engine from 2000MY onward.
Aprilia,
Including the TDCi engine?
No, I think that's belt. Sorry, I was thinking only in terms of petrol engines.
chain cam engines - fiesta man
Including the TDCi engine?

The TDCI *MONDEO* engine has a chain driven pair of cams. The Focus uses a belt for the cams.>>
chain cam engines - Drew20
the reason chains were left on the scrap heap was that they wear badly. Just like a bike chain, metal on metal under load will slowly wear the teeth and the chain and gradually the timing will shift.
so...
whilst a chain is much less likely to fail catastrophically, it will not hold valve timing constant over its lifespan, this will effect performance and efficiency. Hence the belt is better as, though its life may be short in comparison it does not lose timing accuracy

other than the extortionate dealer costs for warranty there is no problem as changing a belt is like "whip it off and pop a new one on"
chain cam engines - A Dent{P}
Sorry, I can?t agree with any of that.
Motorcycle drive chains and sprockets wear because the full engine power is put through them, they are mostly un-lubricated and constantly exposed to dirt/water/salt/what-have-you and the sprockets are not hardened IIRC (take a file to one). Motorcycle cam chains on the other hand last for life, and hold the timing well enough to provide power to weight ratios car owners can only dream about.

Incidentally tiny puny powered Honda C50?s by the million have used them for decades so they don?t sap power as has been cited before.

As for whipping them off? some cars are practically engine out jobs first.
No thank you.
not interested in an argument I'm afraid

not that I'm an expert but motor cycle engines are well different to car engines. reasons for chains on bikes and not cars??? I don't know

as to Honda C50, I'm not sure I follow your argument here. An old small engined car using a chain demonstrates what? My point is more that Mr. Ford knows that the chain will lose definition over time and so has to design a bit of leeway into his cam to amke sure that the engine still runs at 100k. With a belt Mr. Ford doesn't have to bother with leeway but can design a cam profile for timing that is spot on for power and thus efficiency. This means better, more highly tuned long-life engines are possible for everyday motoring

as to belts that hard to change I would suggest these cars are avoided
Drew20

I don\'t know whether you\'re in the motor business or not, but you\'re wrong about chains.
In July I had the head off someones Merc. 300SE (M103 engine) to put new valves/guides in. It had 150k on the clock and the original duplex chain went back on. Tensioner took up the slack and the timing marks were spot on. Not much wrong there.

Rubber belts are not perfect - they stretch. Check the tension of a belt after its been on for 20-30k miles and it will be less than when installed - its stretched a bit.

As to them being easy to change - well, I\'ve changed plenty and a lot of them are absolute pink fluffy dice. Did a Subaru for someone last week and it was an absolute pig (not to mention having the cost & bother of changing the waterpump too - a la Vauxhall).

Chains vs belts is a \'no brainer\'.
chain cam engines - 659FBE
I quite agree Aprilia. My (Swedish pre - GM) SAAB has a 3 strand staggered tooth primary drive chain between the engine and gearbox. Despite high torque, towing and a venerable mileage, there is no perceptable wear in eather the chains or the double-acting hydraulic tensioner. As with the Mercedes, it's a well engineered job.

Motorbike chains are a complete disaster of course. Does anyone have any experience with the Harley D toothed belt final drive?
chain cam engines - A Dent{P}
I mentioned C5O Honda's to put to bed the argument that chains sap more power than belts. That was not part of this thread admittedly.
Properly designed, a cam chain set up makes the block near bullet proof, and as many high power designs exist I cannot see a reason not to use them other than cost.
Accountants know the cost of everything of course, but do not take into account the damage to a manufacturers reputation that belt failures cause.
Most owners will be ignorant of their engine internals until the huge bill turns up, then they are off that marque for life.
Damage done.
chain cam engines - THe Growler
My H-D mechanic (he's the Service Manager for Harley-Davidson Abu Dhabi) and gives my Hog a once over when he comes home for Xmas vacation) says he has never seen a single instance of a Harley belt final drive failing, and that's the consensus of most of the many riders I know. Some these guys are serious Iron Butts as well: 40,000 miles a year and that's on LDC roads in often bad repair.

It's quite astonishing when you think of the massive torque going through that drive belt that it never goes wrong. As you probably also know a lot of custom rides junk the primary chain and run an open air belt instead. So you have the entire power delivery to the rear wheel via belt.

The HD belt will run for ages with stones embedded in it, cracks in the teeth or even missing teeth and bevel wear. Only when damage becomes really severe does the manual recommend changing the belt, e.g. missing teeth, or horizontal cuts well into the depth of the belt, or seriously fraying edges, maybe due to misalignment. HD sets no pre-determined mileage for replacement per se.

The downside is new belt=new sprockets too=$$$$.

But having owned chained bikes (gunge everywhere), shaft-driven (nasty torque effect and weight -- Yamaha), the HD belt is a great, clean, reliable, virtually no-maintenance item.
hiya chaps, no I don't work in the motor trade. I am an accountant by trade!! ;-0
....and with that I concede gracefully to the professionals as I'm obviously in a minority. Chains have obviousy come on a bit in the last few decades
I've always done my own belts/chains (only one chain a long time ago) and have only found it hard the first time, maybe just lucky then.
I drive a '91 golf these days with a single belt driven 8v cam, very happy with it
chain cam engines - andy n
drew, you claim motorcycle engines are "well"differant to car engines how exactly? have they started using gas turbines or something? theres absoultly no differance, both are normally 4 stroke dohc liquid cooled, where is the differance? the differance is motorcycle engines are generally far better engineered/designed, just look at the bhp per cc figures modern performance bikes produce, and the reason they use chain driven cams is its the best engineering solution ,your claim of belts being used to prevent cam timing being compromised as chains wear is rubbish im afraid, the only reason is cost end of story!
easy there tiger!!

;-)
well my car is limited at 5600rpm I think, my bike is limited at 15000rpm. Just a small difference which might explain the bike-chain thing??
people do put bike engines in cars and yes the basic design is the same but to me its quite obvious that a bike engine is a different tool for a different job

to be honest, I don't really care. I don't design engines or anything like that
what I said is true (at least it was), its not an opinion or a guess or a theory. I will qualify my statement though if this will help you sleep at night...
some chains were left on the scrap heap because they wear, belts are a cheaper and perfectly good alternative

now can we move on? Do you think Saddam wanted a second Gulf War?
chain cam engines - Dude - {P}

""some chains were left on the scrap heap because they wear, belts are a cheaper and perfectly good alternative""

Drew 20.- Your pro belt argument is pink fluffy dice balderdash, I suggest your employment in accountancy and not engineering was a wise move.
LOL

chains/cams? whatever!!
accountant/mechanic? like everything else, pros and cons

fin
chain cam engines - M.M
After a very broad experience I would say that timing belts aren't unreliable as such...it's foks that are the weak link.

Every single belt breakage I've seen has been where an owner has ignored the advised change interval. In turn the odds have been stacked against these owners when they ignore specific advice on vehicles with a weakness in the design (tensioner mostly).

If you avoid engines that are known to be troublesome, and change the belt at about 50K you'll never se a broken belt in your lifetime.

I guess belts are cheaper to make, definately easier to work on than an oily timing case on the front of the engine.

Assuming the above is followed timing belts are not a significant part of the overall vehicle cost for most ordinary users. Not to buy the "best" car for your needs just because it has a belt is daft.

They'll all go onto chains for a decade or two because of fashion then it'll be a camshaft driven by hydraulic motors with ECU operated solenoid flow valves...or something like that!

M.M
chain cam engines - budu
By coincidence, I asked my local main Fiat dealer today about changing the cambelt and tensioner on my 16v Punto (not actually due till 72,000 miles). The cost would/will be £150 which I think is atrocious.
Sounds average to me. It think the Subaru belt done at a dealer is about £300-400!
chain cam engines - none
There are lots of arguments for and against timing chains as opposed to belts.
The new Transits I work on have a chain, no problems so far at milages of 150k plus, but the noise on startup on most of them is horrendous. When the tensioners eventually give up - as they will - the cost is going to be equally horrendous. The older 2.5 cam belt engine literally goes on forever with 60k belt changes. I suppose the real answer in reliability terms is to go back to the gear driven valve trains (and the expense and noise).
By the way, can anyone remember the inverted tooth chain used on the transmission of BL cars of the 70's. A really ugly bit of engineering, but seemed to work OK.
chain cam engines - Roy Beasley
By the way, can anyone remember the inverted tooth chain used
on the transmission of BL cars of the 70's. A really
ugly bit of engineering, but seemed to work OK.

That type of chain is still often used for primary drive and camshafts in motorcycle engines. Didn't the 4x4 Granadas and Sierras also use one to take the drive to the transfer box?

{upsidedown style of posting amended. DD}
chain cam engines - nick
Sounds average to me. It think the Subaru belt done
at a dealer is about £300-400!

I've just had the belt changed on my Legacy 2 litre - £204 at the main dealer.
chain cam engines - Den
Ditto: Only for a Peugeot 306 T reg Diesel 70k
£155 - £165.
Also needs, oil change, Road tax, all fluids changed.
Either update car or hold on to this one.
3rd Diesel Peugeot.
Good cars, but big suspension bills come in about the 70k+ mark.
Is there anything better than a 306 Diesel?
Interested to know!
den
chain cam engines - c8
Can anyone tell me if there is a definitive way to find out if an engine is chain or cam, the cbcb has some but not all - is there an easy way to find out?
chain cam engines - M.M
C8,

I guess the 100% answer would be to ask the dealer of the vehicle involved...but I'd want to see it in a tech document and not just rely on a verbal from the reception desk.

There are sites on the web that draw together this information but most are USA market biased. Sometimes these do not always agree, also they need reading with care in case you mistake vehicles within a grouping.

The guide I rely on is the trade Autodata book for timing belts. It is expensive and errs a little on the side of caution but I'm happy to stake my reputation on it.

Beware of "sources" that claim various engines might be non-interference when that is drawn from heresay and experiences of a very few folks.

I've just seen one diesel that I've known as an expensive interference type escape a broken belt with absolutely no damage...on the one in a hundred you may just be lucky.

M.M
chain cam engines - RichardW
Given the technical knowledge of most car sales people, I would assume it's the opposite of what they said.... Should be pretty easy to tell if you can see the engine (oh, forgot, you can't opn most modern engines!).

BTW consider this:

Cambelt change average cost £300 at 50,000 mile interval. At average mpg of 40 (aggregate diesel and petrol) 50k needs 5675 litres of fuel, at 80p/litre makes £4540 in fuel costs. Add to that 4 years tax and insurance for most people, and the cambelt change begins to look cheap...

Of course if you buy a decent car (Citroen) in the first place that doesn't eat cambelts for breakfast, most cars are only going to need one or at the most 2 changes in the life.

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
chain cam engines - Reggie
The maintainence factor is "a pain" on these belts, but by doing it yourself, a belt change costs about £20,and thats for an OE one, and one to three hours labour (your own) depending if it's a simple petrol engine, like an early Cavalier or a diesel engine with limited space like on a 205 or 406 etc. Because I do my own, I don't see them as a huge expense but more of an inconvienience. I see the chain as a better engineering fix, but have not had any problems with belts personally.
Reggie

chain cam engines - HectorG
On the subject of non-interference engines - the Volvo B230 (2.3 petrol injection) fitted to the Volvo 240 & 740 is such. I know because a belt on an old 240 estate of mine went at 90000 miles. I had just bought the car and the previous owner said the belt had been changed @ 50000 miles but the paperwork was with his accountant and he would send it on.

I was lucky in the sense that I did not have the expense of a new engine, but the vehicle still had to be recovered.

BTW on the subject of not relying on verbal advice from the dealer's reception desk - the FOREMAN in the service department of my local Volvo dealer said the engine would be a write-off!
Fortunately they are no longer Volvo dealers - maybe not surprising!
chain cam engines - pmh
Hector G

The B230E is an interference engine! But you can get lucky and get away with it sometimes. I did as well! There is a long post somewhere in the archives.

--

pmh (was peter)

chain cam engines - hamsterdangler
I have an Audi 2.5tdi 5 cyl estate which is a great car except for the cam belts. When I was looking for one nearly every one I found had undergone at least on head change due to cam belt faults. The one I now run had a new complete engine under warranty at Audi Milton Keynes less than a year old and when the belt went again at 92000 miles it had to have another new head. It is very important to change the tensioner when replacing the belt as this can often be the weak point. I also have two Mercedes Sprinter vans, one 1996 with over 270000 miles and a CDi 2000 with 226000 miles. Both run as sweet as a nut and have never even had the heads off. My view is that cam belts were specifically designed to offer garages a goldmine for extra income.
chain cam engines - hamsterdangler
P.S. both Sprinter vans are still fitted with their original duplex chains
chain cam engines - Bilgewater
All new shape Ford Mondeos use chains. The diesel is duplex but the petrols are single.
My previous car a 1997 Nissan primera also used a chain, but the diesel version used a belt.
The Ford 1.3 engine as used in the Ka and Fiesta uses a chain, but not the more modern 1.25 engine.
chain cam engines - Bilgewater
I,m told the Vauxhall 2.2L engine uses a chain.
chain cam engines - Dynamic Dave
I,m told the Vauxhall 2.2L engine uses a chain.

Yep, has a chain. Same engine as fitted to the VX220.
chain cam engines - pettaw
>>The B230E is an interference engine!

Correct, but some of the other lower compression Volvo blocks aren't. However, I would always assume that your engine IS interference.

The belt cost under a tenner, and that's for an OE one from a dealer, so why take the chance. IMO, whenever you get a car/engine, even if the owner has said he's just changed the belt, just change it again. Not worth losing sleep over.
chain cam engines - madux
Don't assume that cam chains are always good. Honda motorcycles had horrific problems with tensioners in the sixties and seventies (1976 G5 sir? 13000miles? That'll need a new chain and tensioner sir!) and eighties (CX500 rattling sir? Does it have one punchmark after the engine no. or two? Two punchmarks means that the SECOND factory mod. has been done)
I hear they are still having problems today.
And Honda have been building 4stroke m/cycle engines longer than the other Japanese firms!
chain cam engines - bbroomlea{P}
I'm pleased i've seen this thread as i have been meaning to post a similar topic on timing chains..

How do you know when one needs changing. The only reason i ask is that my diesel in my rover 75 has started to make a loud rattle between 3000 and 3500 revs and only at full throttle and not all of the time. At all other revs it is fine.

My first thought was the chain starting to rattle but never had to diagnose one before as just took previous cars in for cam belt change at intervals. The engine has now done 210,000 but oil changed every 5000.

I went to the local rover dealer (before they change to Renault!) and they quoted £1300 labour (23 hrs!!)plus the parts at about £250 inc. tensoiners etc.. They wanted the car in for diagnostics but were going to charge me £45 for the previlidge.

If it is the chain rattling how long is it likely to last before it snaps?? and will it get worse, i.e rattling throughout the rev range??

That doesn't sound like chain rattle to me. Chain rattle is usually independent of load. I suspect it is something 'combustion related' - is your injection timing OK? It could even be the exhaust rattling - very hard to say without hearing it.

Chain rattle usually is first heard at start-up - a stretched chain takes longer to tension, so you hear a rattle for a short while after starting. As it gets worse you'll hear it rattling at idle. It'll go away when you rev the engine a bit.
chain cam engines - bbroomlea{P}
Would there be any other symptons if the injection timing is out??

Its very hard to explain other than it it sounds metallic and is intermittant and usually 2nd and 3rd gear, sometimes 4th but never 1st and 5th! Had new exhaust front pipe (including cat) but the noise was there before this was replaced!

Thinking back it has started making the noise since I put some injector cleaner through - maybe just coincidence.

I don't know enough about Diesel engine timing to comment. Post it as a 'Diesel engine noise' query.
chain cam engines - madf
Personally I suspect that a lot of the debate resolves around the quality of the design of the original installation, the qualities of materials used and the ease of access for repair (in case of belts).

In the case of Fiat 5 cylinder coupe, belt change is I believe = engine out (at 30,000 miles).

And as someone mentioned BL A series timing chains rattled after 20,000 miles : the design of tensioners was apalling (and were omitted once for costs savings!)

It's often a case as cars grow older maintenance is neglected. No oil chnages will kill a chain: and Nissan Micra chains wear quickly despite regular servicing.

Ford Zetec belts do last 100k miles (where specified) and have a good reputation.

On the other hand, Audi TDI tensioners last 70,000 miles and then you are in risk of them seizing...

A well designed and maintained chain system will beat belts 99% of the time. A badly designed or badly maintained one can be much more expensive to fix than a new cambelt.

As for driving water pumps from cambelts, that's muppet engineering imo...And look at Vauxhall design of moving water pumps to adjust cambelt tension. Designed for failure! No wonder GM are in the doldrums. With designs like that, they deserve it

madf

chain cam engines - Number_Cruncher
As for driving water pumps from cambelts, that's muppet engineering imo...And
look at Vauxhall design of moving water pumps to adjust cambelt
tension. Designed for failure!

Vauxhalls haven't used that feature for quite some time - they have fitted a separate tensioner - which has caused its share of problems!

The original design wasn't as awful as you say. The only failures happened when people moved the water pump and didn't fit a new seal, i.e., muppet mechanics! If you did the job properly, they worked very well and reliably.

As for the engineering, I think it was very good. Managing to drive the cam, and the water pump, while using so few components none of which needed to be made to exacting tolerances is excellent engineering IMO. Money no object engineering doesn't impress me much, whereas the cunning use of few, cheap, components does.

number_cruncher
Vauxhalls haven't used that feature for quite some time - they
have fitted a separate tensioner - which has caused its share
of problems!
The original design wasn't as awful as you say. The
only failures happened when people moved the water pump and didn't
fit a new seal, i.e., muppet mechanics! If you did
the job properly, they worked very well and reliably.

number_cruncher

Snag is the pumps sieze in place. I have had to 'smash them out' on occassions. Also the three silly little cap-head bolts tend to seize, and once the heads starts to round-off its one heck of a job to remove them. I once had to lift the engine out of a 2 litre Cavalier to extract them.
chain cam engines - Number_Cruncher
Yes, seized pumps could be a problem!

Whenever possible, I would leave the pump in place, and slide the belt sideways out of the toothed pulleys. Upon putting the new belt in, if the tension was OK, then there was no need to touch the pump at all. I would say that on six or seven cars out of ten, changing the belt was a very quick and easy job indeed!

The socket headed cap screws were a silly feature I agree. From memory (I could be wrong here!), there were originally hex head screws in the early engines, but someone saw fit to 'improve' the specification by fitting the socket headed cap screws you mentioned to later engines.

How and why manufacturers specify their fasteners is a long standing mystery to me. Tx45 for modern Vauxhall sump plugs - how does that keep the oil in better than the old hex head sump plug?

number_cruncher
chain cam engines - sierraman
Also let us not forget that this design gave us clutch renewal without removing the gearbox,what a brilliant idea!
chain cam engines - Reggie
With regards to Aprilia's comments, I remember doing a waterpump failure on my dads Cavalier, and it was quite frightening using a hammer to release the pump (as the pump was well and truly seized), as when you have started knocking it out of shape, you realise that if that if you don't crack the block hammering, it has to come out one way or another, and that there is then no way back.

The clutch seemed a good idea though, as far as I'm aware they don't have this system now. Does anybody know why?

Reggie
The clutch seemed a good idea though, as far as I'm
aware they don't have this system now. Does anybody know why?
Reggie

It was only the early ones where the clutch was easy to change. On the later engines they went to the 'pot' type flywheel.
chain cam engines - tyro
Out of idle curiousity, can anyone tell me if the Ford Fiesta Mk III 1.1 engine was chain cam or belt cam?
chain cam engines - cheddar
To clarify all Mondeos are now twin cam chain, TDCi and petrol, duplex on diesels and (I think) V6 petrols which of course have four camshafts, two per bank.

The Focus 1.8 TDCi is a single cam belt driven, the newer Ford/PSA 1.6 and 2.0 TDCi/HDi engines in the C-Max, Focus, 206, 407, C5, C4 etc are twin cam belt driven.

Chains are lubricated by the engine oil where as belts run outside of the engine (though under a cover), uniquely Honda have an internal oil lubricated belt driving the cam on their 135 and 160cc single cyl engines that are used in lawnmowers, generators etc. I have a 4.5 hp OHC 135cc Honda lawnmower, quite a neat little motor, very refined for what it is though, of course, max revs approx 3000 only.
chain cam engines - tyro
HJ's Telegraph column (11/06/2005) has the following account of chain failing without warning at a comparatively young age:

"My Vauxhall Zafira 2.2i 16v was first registered in February 2002 and belonged to a main dealership before I bought it almost two years ago. After 31,000 miles, it lost all power when I was driving on the M25. Apparently the timing chain had broken, destroying the engine. Vauxhall is prepared to meet 50 per cent of the cost but I still feel short-changed."

(HJ replied: "This is becoming uncomfortably common. The oil feed to this engine's timing chain tensioner gets blocked, leading to accelerated wear and failure. GM responded by improving the oil supply and fitting a larger filter, but extended service intervals allow the oil to degrade and contaminants to form - and it is these that block the flow. If oil and filter were changed every 5,000 miles, I doubt there would be any problem.")
chain cam engines - glowplug
Good thread. Lots of good arguments. I'd say six of one... As for Hondas being well engineered, the cars seem to be great but the bikes from the 70's. It must have seemed a good idea to run the cam straight in the alloy head without 'proper' bearings. Anyhow my 405s ready for a belt change so I'm dreading that one, new belt, seals, tensioners, etc. I swapped from a chain to a vernier belt drive when I built up a fast A series engine, much quieter!
About chain changing, very short write up -
www.carmechanicsmag.co.uk/cgi-bin/tftt.cgi?q=050502

Steve.
chain cam engines - Miller
A related question, I have a 98 Mondeo 1.8 petrol with a "Silver top" engine with a cambelt replacement specification of 5 years/80k miles, however a "Black top" engine from 99 onwards quotes 10 years/100k miles.

Why the five year jump in time? Is it possibly because they see age as a much less likely killer than mileage?
chain cam engines - Greg R
So I was wondering, the Toyota Camry turbo diesel built in 1986 ? would this be a chain or a belt driven engine?
chain cam engines - AdyBeee
My Ford Duratech ST200 has a cam chain driving 4 cam shafts. I have seen a comment saying if chains are short they are ok. I guess my chain would be quite long.
What sort of mileage are the Duratech chains good for?

AdyBee...
chain cam engines - DP
I forgot about the Vauxhall clutch design. I still have in my toolbox a slide hammer, Vauxhall F16 gearbox output shaft adaptor and set of clutch clips that I used on my old Cavalier mk2. Wonder if they'll ever see service again? G

Completely agree with Number Cruncher on the water pump design on these engines. When I did the cambelt on mine, I left the pump well alone. Slipped the old belt off, slipped the new one on and the tension looked fine. Didn't hum or squeal in use and did another 20k until I sold it with no problems.

As I see it, belt drive's advantages are manufacturing cost, and revenue for dealers at service time. I would go out of my way to buy a chain cam engine next time unless the belt was a doddle to change.

Cheers
DP
chain cam engines - jc2
All Ford 1.1 are chain cam(tho' for a few months there was a 1.1 CVH but not on a Mk. III).
chain cam engines - tyro
Thanks, jc2.

(I knew if I was patient, someone would answer my question.

And it only took one year, 2 months, 7 days, 10 hours and nine minutes.!)
chain cam engines - Collos25
know HJ is keen on chain cam engines as opposed to the belt-driven variety. The belt change on my current
VW GT TDi is horrendously expensive at a main dealer who has to do it to fulfill the terms of the warranty.

No he doesn't,you can have the belt changed anywhere the garage must use genuine VAG parts, be VAT registered and be classed as competent to do the job.A clleague who runs a van hire company has a few VAG units which have never seen a main agents only for warranty work.