Insurance - Protected NCD - Lewis Ayers
Is protected NCD what it promises to be?
I had a claim in the past year due to an accident while the car was being driven by a named driver on my policy.
Luckily I have protected NCD.
Renewal time has now arrived. Price quoted is treble last year's premium.
Explanation given - you still have your protected NCD, but we have increased the gross premium (by a factor of 3?) because you were on a special premium tarrif that we no longer offer.
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - Jonathan
Always shop around when insurance is due for renewal. Always...

NCD if protected will mean that the percentage of the premium you pay wont increase. The amount you pay may. Most NCD protections will allow 2 accidents in 3 years (or something similar).

Jonathan
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - Michael
it's all down to careful marketing and the small print, Lewis. Suggest you shop around and find a better quote elsewhere.
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - andy bairsto
I think that it is amazing all these adverts on tv teling you that insurance company A is cheapest and then B says its Cheapest and it goes on .They cannot all be cheapest.I find some of the claims made by these companies quite outrageous.I tried a few using my mother as example .Every one was dearer than what she was paying.I think the trading standards should look into these claims,along with have you got debt problems .and untie the capital in your house.
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - andy sampson
Anyone else want to strangle the women on the AA insurance advert!!!, she has just cost her hubby a furtune and when he tries to tell her she just gives him a b####ing.

How many people actually believe that if you ring the AA there is no need to try anyone else they are always the cheepest!!!!!!!!
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - Dave
andy sampson wrote:
>
> Anyone else want to strangle the women on the AA insurance
> advert

God yes! What kind of advice is "Don't shop around!".

Plus I'm offended that someone would put a couple arguing on TV!!!

Everyone I know agrees with you!
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - Dave
andy sampson wrote:
>
> Anyone else want to strangle the women on the AA insurance
> advert

God yes! What kind of advice is "Don't shop around!".

Plus I'm offended that someone would put a couple arguing on TV!!!

Everyone I know agrees with you!
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - fred smith
the direct line advert that tries to encourage the driver who has just been rear ended by their idiot policy holder to accept their garage is sad in the extreme

im afraid i'll be choosing which garage it goes into and they can pay up or see me in court...
Straying off the subject - Darcy Kitchin
That mad woman who smashes up her home, with a Renault Clio waiting outside.
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - Malcolm
No need to see them in court, it is up to you which garage is chosen to repair your vehicle and you only need to obtain one estimate!.
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - Phil Goodacre
NCD protection does exactly what it says on the tin. It protects the percentage discount on your annual premium. It does not, nor does it purport to do so, protect your premium. If you make a claim and your company is out of pocket, then you are classed as a higher risk and your premium at renewal will reflect this. I stopped protecting my NCD years ago because it is a bit of a con as so many people make the same wrong assumption and what with excesses these days it is often cheaper in the long run to pay out of your own pocket and not make the claim.
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - Marc
Quite agree. It's a lot of marketing crap - paying more insurance to "protect" your insurance NCD. Very misleading in that they try to make you think your premium won't change. What also gets up my nose is would you like to protect your payments and would you like legal protection etc etc.
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - Andrew
Even assuming your premium is protected by NCB which would appear is not if you wished to move on to another insurance company you would have to declare having made a previous claim and your premium wouls be loaded accordingly. Got you by the b******s !
Re: Insurance - Protected NCD - Marc
Exactly. Money for nothing designed to catch out unwitting suckers
NCD vs claim loading. - David Woollard
You're right about this. 7 years ago I had a nearly new twin axle plant trailer stolen from our yard, cost £1500 and that was paid out by the NFU who covered it. They had some merry japes involved with trying to reduce the payout but that's another story.

Now when we next came to renew our car insurances, separate policies to the trailer, I took a decision that the question about claims needed me to mention the trailer. I did so out of honesty, never expecting the premiums to be affected. Well what a surprise, when it came to it we struggled to get a loading as low as 30% for having made a claim related to a wheeled vehicle at our home address. This on private car policies.

Then when we wanted to have a horse trailer added to our horse policy that was loaded 50% in the first year.

The final straw was trying to get motor trade insurance the following year, declaring this claim meant it was hard to get any cover regardless of cost, in the end I had a 30% loading for the first two years.

All these loadings are applied before NCD and a separate issue.

I have a customer with a young driver attached to the policy who found it worth paying £325 out of their own pocket to avoid claiming vandal damage and all the associated excess/loading problems. About the same as a years premium.

David