N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - galileo

"In its current state the A**** is a busy road, and currently struggles to cope with an increasing traffic demand, which results in significant congestion at peak periods. This means it is not as easy to walk or cycle along it, as it potentially could be.

The main aim of the scheme is to provide a continuous, high-quality cycle route, and make it safer and easier for people to walk.

It is hoped the scheme will encourage more people to walk and cycle both along and across this busy road"

The above is an extract from local authority proposals for a major locale route. It reduces the number of lanes each way by one, to create 2 -way cycle lanes from the former running lanes. In what alternative universe will this help congestion?

The proposers of this scheme have dedicated parking places in the town centre for their convenience, while the poor mugs who fund their salaries through council and road tax are told to walk or cycle. Bear in mind that many such lesser beings are old, infirm or mothers shopping and encumbered with small children.

George Orwell was spot on with Animal Farm* (and not far off with 1984)

*All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - sammy1

Common sense just does not exist in local gov or National. Todays example of the Owen Paterson debacle says it all

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - daveyjp

Local road to me had a cycle way installed about 5 years ago and the increase in cycling is noticeable. I know I would use it if I had a 3-4 mile commute along its route.

However squeezing it in to existing roads has brought its own issues and isn't a solution.

Some stretches the road is too narrow so no cycle way. Where it crosses side roads it is dangerous as your bonnet can be in the cycleway before you can see if you can emerge and you have to look right first, which goes against what is taught when learning to drive.

The biggest draw back is what was a road about 10m wide with bus laybys, is now 7.5m wide with no bus laybys.

When a bus stops, all the traffic behind usually has to stop. This increases congestion and means buses are then delayed.

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - Engineer Andy

Sadly this is not uncommon. Lots of that sort of thing round my way, too.

For example, Cambridge City Council spent a fortune on turning Hills Road into a cycle route for much (but not all - for the same reasons - pinch points when the road narrows further in) of it. The problem is now that the traffic on this once wide road is always held up because the bus stops are in the way of all other road users and anyone turning right does as well.

Where the road narrows as it gets nearer the inner ring road, the buses stop over the cycle lanes, forcing cyclists into the traffic. To say this road is choas at peak times is an understatement. Even worse when any sort of roadworks occur - noting that they've already had to redo quite a bit of the roadway after a few years - not sure why though.

Absolute class. This is the area that spend somewhere in the region of £180m (should've cost about 2/3rds as much) on a guided busway that is, in effect, 'a road' where no overtaking (if a bus has broken down) is difficult or near impossible. they could've just built 'a road' and a far lower cost, especially as it mainly goes (ironically) to St. Ives.

Meanwhile, they spend more fortunes putting in cycle lanes to partially replace footways along the A10 on the single carriageway sections, many too narrow to run the entire length, thus they effectively go nowhere, and don't encourage cyclists to use them (I've never seen one using ANY). These people have no clue.

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - galileo

I should have added that (as anyone familiar with the West Yorkshire Pennine towns knows) the only cyclists here are the Lycra clad masochists (who mainly follow the routes used when the \tour de France came this way a few years ago.)

Cycling as realistic everyday transport for most people may be good for areas such as East Anglia/Lincolnshire/Holland but not round this area.

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - Engineer Andy

I should have added that (as anyone familiar with the West Yorkshire Pennine towns knows) the only cyclists here are the Lycra clad masochists (who mainly follow the routes used when the \tour de France came this way a few years ago.)

Cycling as realistic everyday transport for most people may be good for areas such as East Anglia/Lincolnshire/Holland but not round this area.

Only in towns and cities at best, and even then in the bigger ones it still can be quite hazardous, mainly because most of the roads wre never designed to be wide enough to carry separate lanes of traffic, not helped by the large size (width) of many cars and especially HGVs.

Inter-urban cycling is almost impossible (see my reasons above) as the roads are often narrow and national speed limit (and most users ignore those limits), plus loads of unsafe driving, including nutty overtaking.

When I cycle on the A10 (outside of my home town where the limit is 30mph), it's literally for 100m to reach the next cross-country lane, and I only ever do so during non-peak hours to avoid as much traffic as possible, and also only in good weather. I'm more of a sight-seeing cyclist (who occasionally likes a bit of speed [safely] on the downhill bits) these days, and hapily don't own any TDF-style lycra outfits!

Way too much of a risk, as evidenced by yet another couple of deaths on the A505 just the other side of the M11 this past week through careless driving (a car driver was charged after two [I think] people were killed in a multiple pile-up , including another car occupant and a motorcyclist).

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - Bromptonaut

Only in towns and cities at best, and even then in the bigger ones it still can be quite hazardous, mainly because most of the roads wre never designed to be wide enough to carry separate lanes of traffic, not helped by the large size (width) of many cars and especially HGVs.

Inter-urban cycling is almost impossible (see my reasons above) as the roads are often narrow and national speed limit (and most users ignore those limits), plus loads of unsafe driving, including nutty overtaking.

When I cycle on the A10 (outside of my home town where the limit is 30mph), it's literally for 100m to reach the next cross-country lane, and I only ever do so during non-peak hours to avoid as much traffic as possible, and also only in good weather.

I think your glass is a bit half empty there Andy. There are plenty of opportunities to cycle in big cities. London is pretty good for starters.

There are plenty of roads that are not ridiculously narrow and that lend themselves to adding a cycle lane. Where cyclists share bus lanes there must be rigorous enforcement to stop private motorists and vans (Royal Mail were egregious offenders locally) using them. In Shoreham the Council set up and then removed a cycle lane; they're being pursued in court over the lawfulness of that decision.

Whilst I agree that trunk roads are not good there are often parallel routes on minor roads. Don't overlook tow paths either.

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - focussed

Local road to me had a cycle way installed about 5 years ago and the increase in cycling is noticeable. I know I would use it if I had a 3-4 mile commute along its route.

However squeezing it in to existing roads has brought its own issues and isn't a solution.

Some stretches the road is too narrow so no cycle way. Where it crosses side roads it is dangerous as your bonnet can be in the cycleway before you can see if you can emerge and you have to look right first, which goes against what is taught when learning to drive.

The biggest draw back is what was a road about 10m wide with bus laybys, is now 7.5m wide with no bus laybys.

When a bus stops, all the traffic behind usually has to stop. This increases congestion and means buses are then delayed.

That is done to "prove" that public transport (even if containing only one passenger) takes precedence over private vehicles.

It's the same playbook that councils use to relocate bus stops opposite to keep left signs in the middle of the road, so that following traffic has to stop to allow the bus to pick up or set down passengers.

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - Andrew-T

The only cycle lane near here is along the A56 in front of Helsby School, where the road is easily wide enough for one. Presumably one of its purposes is to help kids going to the school. Sadly much of it is blocked by parents' cars waiting to collect the little darlings who don't ride, walk or take the bus. No fault of the local authority, just common selfishness, as usual.

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - barney100

We have had many cycle lanes installed and you rarely see a cycle in them. This obsession with cycles is unreal. You can't take anyone with you, one bag of shopping to take home is a big problem, we are not a cycling country like Holland. I know one person who has a bike and he pootles round the country roads never into town.

Councils were given the money to install cycle lanes and so they are spending it. Unfortunately not a lot of this money has been spent wisely but it has kept people in employment which I think is part of the idea as well as the safety of cyclists. The total mileage of cycle lanes is a drop in the ocean compared to the road miles. There are obviously no hard rules how these lanes are used and indeed a lot of smaller towns and cities have no policies at all on cycle lanes and it is a free for all through the pedestrian precincts. Lorries/cars do not mix well with cyclists, guess who comes off worse and cyclists and pedestrians the same.

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - bathtub tom

You can't take anyone with you, one bag of shopping to take home is a big problem

SWMBO and I oftern cycle into town (a couple of miles). We both have panniers and if I'm expecting more I take a rucksack.

Greta will approve ;>)

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - alan1302

We have had many cycle lanes installed and you rarely see a cycle in them. This obsession with cycles is unreal. You can't take anyone with you, one bag of shopping to take home is a big problem, we are not a cycling country like Holland. I know one person who has a bike and he pootles round the country roads never into town.

We could become a cycling country though - just needs a change of mindset. In Holland they can only carry one bag of shopping and can't take anyone with them but a lot of people do it.

Think a lot of it comes down to not wanting to share the roads with anything else other than cars...some of that anger shown towards cyclists...that is unreal.

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - Andrew-T

<< We could become a cycling country though - just needs a change of mindset. In Holland they can only carry one bag of shopping and can't take anyone with them but a lot of people do it. >>

Well, parts of it could. I was a student in a fairly flat city and used to bike everywhere. In Canada soon afterwards I also biked unless it got so cold that too much effort was needed to turn the wheels. However after returning to the UK the enthusiasm waned when it was always uphill to get back home.

It's easy for the Dutch - most of the hills they need to climb are canal bridges .. :-)

""We could become a cycling country though - just needs a change of mindset. In Holland they can only carry one bag of shopping and can't take anyone with them but a lot of people do it.""

Yes we could. One of the biggest drawbacks is the security of your bike when you leave it. Some of the bikes you typically see in say Oxford and Cambridge are older and may be less desirable. The modern bikes which a lot of enthusiasts crave can be expensive and unless you can afford to lose all or part of your cycle a real worry. There is an increasing move now for an electric bike which can be that much more desirable to the light fingered brigade. Mountain bikes which as the name suggests can be used over rough terrain are also used as general road bikes with some costing anywhere between £2-7K. not something you would leave around . OK a bit of extreme examples but bike crime is on the rise You would think twice about leaving a bike or dog for that matter outside a shop today. In the news recently thieves on motorbikes are knocking people of their bikes and carry the bike away on the back of the motorbike!

As to actually riding bikes a lot of the country is hilly and you have to be pretty fit.to tackle hills even with modern gears..

N/a - Bright ideas from local authorities - madf

O would not cycle round here. Narrow roads, poor surfaces, killer roundabouts too narrow for articulated lorries and LOT of hills. In winter it is very wet.

Our local local outside our house rises 160meters in 1 mile.

As a result, no cycle lanes and no cyclists (or very few).