Rust proofing - johnnyrev

I’m pondering getting some rust proofing applied to the underside of my mk2 MX5. It’s just had its MOT (and passed) but the friendly chap at the local garage said if I want to preserve it, then he would recommend some protection (contrary to my initial thought, he wasn’t trying to sell it- this garage is a small local which just does servicing).

Does anyone have any advice or experience? Is it worth it in a car only worth a couple of grand? I’ve had a quote for what seems a comprehensive job for £500 locally (removing plastic trim, cleaning, inspecting, treatment and coating).

Rust proofing - Xileno

I would want to know what the coating is. Presumably Dinitrol or Waxoyl?

Rust proofing - johnnyrev

It’s Corrolan apparently- wax for the cavities and film coating elsewhere.

Rust proofing - Andrew-T

As the car is already having MoTs it is clearly a few years old. I've never bothered with rust protection, and I have always thought that applying it to a no-longer-new car was shutting the stable door. If the car is prone to rust it will have already started, so unless your treatment is very thorough in removing all trace of corrosion, you will be covering it up and no longer able to see what is happening underneath.

When I sold my 1990 Pug 205 a couple of years ago, the new owner thought about protecting the underside, which was in surprisingly good order after 30 years. He didn't, because the annual MoT is a good opportunity to check that is still the case.

At this age I think it makes more sense to keep the underside clear of winter accumulations.

Edited by Andrew-T on 09/09/2021 at 18:42

Rust proofing - Engineer Andy

Good point.

Rust proofing - edlithgow

Good point.

No

It isn't

It would be a good point if you were talking about underseal, but an oil-based treatment

(or just oil) wont hide corrosion.

Unless the tester is going well beyond the test requirements, an MOT is only likely to report corrosion (even as an advisory) when its too late for prevention, pretty much by definition, so that bit doesn't appear to make much sense.

I used Waxoyl once a long time ago and didn't think much of it. Poor penetration, and a potentially moisture trapping surface skin with cracks in it.

It may have improved.

Subsequently I used motor oil, thinned as necessary for spraying with either diesel or kerosene. I thought it was better, and it costs very little.

Some people use waste oil, which costs nothing, but I never fancied spraying a carcinogen cocktail under my car, where I spend quite a lot of poor quality time as it is.

Latterly in Taiwan (where there are AFAIK no commercial treatment services, and would be negligable demand) I added vegetable oil to the mix, and have painted it neat on "wash-off" areas like wheel arches (though I think the tendency for oil to wash off is exaggerated).Vegetable oil dries slowly to a plastic-like film.

I have an improved technique in mind but so far havn't got around to testing it.

Oops. Repeating myself. Should have checked the post date.

STILL TRUE though.

Edited by edlithgow on 24/05/2023 at 23:05

Rust proofing - SLO76
No experience of doing it but I’d certainly recommend doing so if the car is solid. These are great wee cars and very worthy of preservation. It’s rust that kills them but I’d expect a Mk II to be pretty crusty underneath already.
Rust proofing - elekie&a/c doctor
The mk 2 nb series Mx5 are total rust buckets . I know , I had one . Applying under seal at this age is counter productive, you only going to trap the corrosion that’s already there . You would be better off spending time cleaning the chassis and other rust traps to prevent corrosion in the first place .
Rust proofing - SLO76
“ You would be better off spending time cleaning the chassis and other rust traps to prevent corrosion in the first place”

If it’s a typical example there’s wouldn’t be much left to treat afterwards. I sold mine, which was almost 100% rust free on the body because it was crumbling underneath. Best bet unless it’s an exceptional example would be to save the money towards a rust free late model Mk III and rust treat that before it’s too late.
Rust proofing - Manatee
“ You would be better off spending time cleaning the chassis and other rust traps to prevent corrosion in the first place” If it’s a typical example there’s wouldn’t be much left to treat afterwards. I sold mine, which was almost 100% rust free on the body because it was crumbling underneath. Best bet unless it’s an exceptional example would be to save the money towards a rust free late model Mk III and rust treat that before it’s too late.

Have you seen the asking prices SLO? £15k+ for a really nice Mk3.75 now and that's probably £3k more than a year ago.

I like the Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT (folding hard top). Better looking than the launch shape, and with engine improvements. My son bought a well used 2010 a couple of years ago for £4,500 but that looks a very good price now, even for one with a few small dings.

Edited by Manatee on 10/09/2021 at 16:33

Rust proofing - John F

If it were mine, I'd invest in a couple of ramps, a wire brush and a can of good quality black paint you can apply to rusty metal, e.g. Hammerite. As said, it's too late to be worth paying for a comprehensive professional protection application which is best done when new. Just get underneath, clean up the rusty bits and paint the subframes and anything else that looks rusty. Wear a shower cap and protective glasses if the rust is flaky. A dry spell at the end of summer is a good time to do this as any salt from the winter will have long disappeared.

Rust proofing - bathtub tom

If it were mine, I'd invest in a couple of ramps, a wire brush and a can of good quality black paint you can apply to rusty metal, e.g. Hammerite. As said, it's too late to be worth paying for a comprehensive professional protection application which is best done when new. Just get underneath, clean up the rusty bits and paint the subframes and anything else that looks rusty. Wear a shower cap and protective glasses if the rust is flaky. A dry spell at the end of summer is a good time to do this as any salt from the winter will have long disappeared.

After you've given the underside a good hose down and allowed it to dry for a couple of days.

If you're thinking of doing it yourself, then first apply a couple of litres to your body and then the rest to the car.

Rust proofing - Big John

I've used all sorts over the years to rust proof having restored a few cars.

Less successful has always been underseal as it seems to kind of encourage rust tracking under the surface and you can't see the trouble brewing until it's a major problem.

Waxoyl as default didn't soak in properly inside sections although I had success by mixing waxoyl / clean engine oil.

These days I'm a fan on Dinitrol inside sections/cavities and Owatrol oil on exposed body/metal inc suspension parts - excellent rust inhibiting and it set to a transparent "resin" type finish so it's easy to keep an eye on things.

Edited by Big John on 10/09/2021 at 09:45

Rust proofing - Xileno

I had never heard of Owatrol oil, it sounds like one of those alternative therapies or ointments that healthy shops sell...

The reviews looks good although the price is a bit steep at about £15 a litre. I would like to try it though so will start scraping a few coins together. I quite like Waxoyl though, especially the thick black version.

Rust proofing - John F

I've used all sorts over the years to rust proof having restored a few cars.

Less successful has always been underseal as it seems to kind of encourage rust tracking under the surface and you can't see the trouble brewing until it's a major problem.

It depends on the underseal substance. I have no idea what Ziebart is made of but my TR7 was 'Ziebarted' from new and there is no sign of the sort of sub-underseal tracking as seen on our old Focus at the rear of the sills. At over 40yrs old I suspect it is one of the few rust-free unrestored TR7s in existence, having outlasted thousands of MX5s. Hats off to its first owner who commissioned this applicaton - and then sold it to me ten months later.

Rust proofing - Sulphur Man

I've just had my 2003 Honda Element (JDM import) rust-proofed by South West Rustproofing, near Warminster.

I've had the car almost exactly one year. Honda Reading and my local indy rated the car as rust-free and exceptionally clean for it's age. Talking to Honda Element owners in USA and UK (all 12 of us) said the car is built to last and does not rust easily. So I took the plunge, as I dont want to part with this fantastic car.

SW Rustproofing use various grades of Dinitrol and Owatrol rust-inhibitor. It's a 3 day process. The before and after photos are something to behold. They will inspect the car annually, for free, for the next five years to see whether any touch up is needed.

Another factor that drove my decision is that road-salting in the UK is more prevalent than when I first started driving. Any suggestion that temperatures might get near freezing and the gritters are out around my way. Couple that to increasing wet weather events, and the dampness that follows, and I felt the investment was worth it - the car is in perfect working order. The job cost £900 all in.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 10/09/2021 at 15:45

Rust proofing - Manatee

The Doctor is right, the Mk2 and even more so the Mk 2.5 with the 'laminated' front box sections is a rust bucket, and many of them look pristine from the top even at 20 years old, except for the odd blister on the rear arches or sills. In fairness these cars are now pretty old (1998-2005?) although Mazda don't seem to worry much about rust protection even now.

If you happen to have a truly rust-free (relatively) example then it would be well worth preserving but it is pretty certain that the sills are rusted from the inside unless it has been a garaged fair weather car all its life or well protected early on.(the vast majority out there have already been repaired, often badly).

You do have the option of partial or full restoration and preservation of course, which is not in my view a silly thing to consider if you have a mechanically excellent and tidy car that you really like - I say that because it is not usually financially a great idea, although prices are stupidly high right now if you wanted to buy a 'good' one - assuming you could find it for sale.

Hard to say without knowing your car, but the chances are that a good tidy up and dealing with the rust that's there would be the best place to start rather than just covering it over.

One of the best is themx5restorer.co.uk/ who did the rust prevention on my Mk4 when it was 6 months old in 2017. They use Dinitrol products and they wanted my car for a week. Nobody can do it satisfactorily in a day IMO especially on an old car with existing corrosion. If it needs cleaning off, it needs time to dry as does the material they use and at the very least I think yours would need some rust removing and treating before coating. Mine was easy because it was like new so they used clear wax and four years on there is no sign of rust and of course they did the critical cavities. I'm sure you could have a sensible discussion with them on the practical options for your car.

I'm not actually very near them - I got a cheap APEX return rail ticket from Pevensey & Westham, about 300 yds from them, took the car on Monday and picked it up Saturday. They know everything about MX-5's and do a lot of full restorations.

I had a Mk2 from 2011-2017 but it was a bit of a dog. In 2017 I decided to buy a better Mk2 but when I realised how many I might have to look at, I gave in and bought a much newer car - I think it's fair to say there was a lot of project creep, although I haven't regretted it. But I love the Mk2.

Edited by Manatee on 10/09/2021 at 13:42

Rust proofing - Trilogy.

Another suggestion, never heard of them until HubNut had if Ford Fairmont done.

www.krown.co.uk

I use a mix of mineral oil (motor, hydraulic, fridge, depends what I have) with sunflower oil maybe 50:50, thinned with diesel until it becomes sprayable.

On exposed rusty surfaces that you could paint, but shouldn't, I use straight sunflower oil or linseed oil and abrade with aluminium (typically a crushed beercan disk in a power drill) to make paint in-situ. This works very well, going by its effect on brake drums, which I inspect regularly.

Costs next to nothing. Some commercial goos may be better (tried Waxoyl and didn't think much of it) but aren't available in Taiwan and my UK cars havn't been worth the cost of a commercial application.

Maybe take the carpets out a splash it around. You got the ventilation.

Just get on with it. While you dither your car disappears.

Another suggestion, never heard of them until HubNut had if Ford Fairmont done.

www.krown.co.uk

Big in the US market, as is Fluid Film, the latter apparently a lanolin-base product akin to Waxoyl.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSg0yvwcbXA

Rust proofing - madf

Our 1978 Mini Estate lasted 12 years due to Waxoil in all its cavities - and frequent treatments underneath.

It was bodily sound when we sold it. (also mechanically)

Rust proofing - Big John

Our 1978 Mini Estate lasted 12 years due to Waxoil in all its cavities - and frequent treatments underneath.

It was bodily sound when we sold it. (also mechanically)

Good going - I have done a lot of welding on Minis. Forth bridge springs to mind! Good rustproofing is essential on most cars especially pre galvanised bodies.