Peugeot 307 SW - Bought a trade car with no V5C - lucklesspedestrian

Hi

A friend has just bought a car privately from someone who works in the motor trade who was running the car himself and he in turn appears to have bought the car from a friend who is another dealer as a trade car and has been running it as such (i.e. he never bothered to get the V5C). So the problem is there is no V5C with the car and obviously my friend is obviously trying to get the thing registered in his name. The last V5C was issued in 2011.

It was suggested that he fill in a V62 application for registration certificate which he did but when he took this to the local post office the DVLA system declined/rejected it.

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the situation and offer any suggestions. It's not a high value car but we would like to get it on the road asap. The car is still taxed according to DVLA online but we believe it is taxed as a trade car, can this be correct and if so is it legal to have it parked on the road?

Thank in advance

Peugeot 307 SW - Bought a trade car with no V5C - elekie&a/c doctor
There’s no such thing as trade tax . The car is either taxed , not taxed or is being used on trade plates , which wouldn’t show as taxed on the dvla website . Somebody must be paying the tax . I would contact dvla direct to sort it out .
There’s no such thing as trade tax . The car is either taxed , not taxed or is being used on trade plates , which wouldn’t show as taxed on the dvla website . Somebody must be paying the tax . I would contact dvla direct to sort it out .

Yeah, thought as much, it's definitely not on trade plates and it is taxed so someone is paying!

Peugeot 307 SW - Bought a trade car with no V5C - Gibbo_Wirral

Put the reg into the DVLA tax checker to see if it can be on the road:

www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

As for the form being rejected, you'll need to ask the DVLA why.

Put the reg into the DVLA tax checker to see if it can be on the road:

www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

As for the form being rejected, you'll need to ask the DVLA why.

Yes done that, it's taxed 'till July so no need to SORN it or anything. You're right, probably need to get on to the DVLA directly.

Peugeot 307 SW - Bought a trade car with no V5C - Tester

Not my area of experience but doesn't the fact that it's still taxed suggest that the change of ownership has not been registered? I thought that the VED got cancelled and previous owner is refunded when ownership is transferred, so that I must tax a new-to-me car immediately.

It would mean you won't receive anything exciting like NIPs if you are not the registered keeper.

Can more-experienced Backroomers say if I'm confused here?

Peugeot 307 SW - Bought a trade car with no V5C - Andrew-T

Not my area of experience but doesn't the fact that it's still taxed suggest that the change of ownership has not been registered?

If it has spent a longish time as a 'trade car' I should think that is quite possible. If nothing else, it keeps the number of 'previous owners' down.