Worn tyres - kenH1
Hello

I recently purchased a 2001 Nissan Almera with 18k on the clock from a dealer. The garage had only taken the car in that day and had not cleaned it up. My query relates to the tyre condition.
The two front tyres were pretty worn and the two back ones were fine.
Does this indicate a problem? Could the car have been in a crash?
The steering wheel also shudders at 70mph on the motorway.

Thanks for any input
Worn tyres - Galaxy
kenH1

Sorry to hear about your Nissan Almera tyre problem. It it's any consolation the front tyres on my Ford Mondeo only last just over 20K miles, and this is normal for normal use. Driven hard, their life is shorter still.

Unfortunately I don't know specific information about the Almera tyre life, but I'm sure that someone in the BR will be able to tell you.

Your tyre wear doesn't indicate to me in any way that the car has been in a crash. If tyres on an Almera normally last longer than 18K then it indicates the car has been driven very hard. The shaking stering wheel probably just means the wheels need balancing. If the tyres are badly worn you might as well wait to have this done until you buy two new ones.

Good Luck,

Galaxy
Worn tyres - Alfafan {P}
And fit the new ones on the back.
Worn tyres - matt35 {P}
Ken,
Look at the palms of your hands.
They are bigger than the contact area of your tyres with the road.
Get new tyres, and get them balanced - no more shudder!
Matt35
Worn tyres - Dynamic Dave
I recently purchased a 2001 Nissan Almera with 18k on the
clock from a dealer.
The two front tyres were pretty worn and the two back
ones were fine.
Does this indicate a problem?

Depends on how you class as *pretty worn*

Were they worn evenly, or only worn down on one edge for instance? If the former then I wouldn't have said there was a problem. It's a front wheel drive car with 18k miles under it's belt. As for the steering wheel shudder, more than likely the wheels need balancing. It's a shame you didn't negotiate new tyres for the front as part of the purchase, especially if they're *pretty worn*. Most garages would have fitted new boots if it secures a sale.
Worn tyres - kenH1
Thanks for all the tips. I normally buy 2nd hand Nissans/Toyotas within the manufacturer warranty, keep them for a year and upgrade, because of this I haven't a clue about servicing, normal tyre wear etc.

Normally before a garage presents a car for sale they would change tyres and give it a general clean-up, so I wouldn't have notcied the tyres. The garage did give me 2 new tyres as part of the deal, but just had a niggling fear that tyre wear was excessive.
Thanks for relaying those fears, I know where to come for advice on my next purchase