Paging D Lacey. - Dave
A mate has beeen quoted 130 labour for a replacement Cam belt on a Rover 218VVC Coupe with power steering.

Reckon any other main dealer should beat that by a big chunk?

Otherwise we'll have to do it between us.

I got a place to do my 414i for 90 quid all in after hardly any negotiation... Are garage prices cheaper in the winter?
Re: Paging D Lacey. - Tom Shaw
I paid 150 for a belt change on a 106.
Re: Paging D Lacey. - Dave
Tom Shaw wrote:
>
> I paid 150 for a belt change on a 106.

I'm not David but here's my tuppence worth - Guy Lacey
I think there is considerable difference between the 1.4i engine and the twin-cam variable valve timing engine of your mate. I don't think this is too bad - £130 could only be around 4 hours.

If you think that's bad - try changing the cam-belt on a A4 TDI - eh Dave???
Re: I'm not David but here's my tuppence worth - Mark
Not even two hours at my local Vauxhall Main dealers (£85p/h + VAT on top) and thats in darkest Cheshire not London.

as ever

Mark
The voice of reason returns - David Lacey
Hi Dave & everybody,

First of all, the Rover 218VVC Coupe is a cracking car - the engine sounds great when revving @ 7000rpm!

£130 of labour relates to 3.1hrs of labour in our workshop - I think the belt change time is 3.5hrs or thereabouts. (Will confirm tommorrow)
The basic engine is very similar to that in your 414, but access to the belt is a little more difficult in the Coupe VVC installation.

Do make sure BOTH cambelts are replaced at this time. There is an inlet camshaft synchroniser belt at the opposite end of the engine, working in conjuction with the cambelt. (Be careful here, the sprocket edges are razor sharp! - Many knuckles have been injured here - I speak from experience!)

IMHO, I would pay the garage in question to replace the belt, then if any mishaps do occur (which are thankfully rare with the K series engine) then you have a certain degree of comeback.

Do make sure that both camwheel retaining bolts are replaced, locktited and torqued up to 65 Nm before fitting the new belt. Reason? This engine has (had?) a liking to loosening it's inlet camwheel bolt and hey presto! the cambelt falls off and 'That'll be £2400 to put right, Sir'

WRT your other point, I'm not aware of garages having cheaper labour rates throughout the winter, but I'm sure it must happen somewhere.......

Rgds

David
Re: The voice of reason returns - Dave
Thanks DL!

It sounds like slightly more work than my 1.4 with more potential to go wrong.

I'll forward this link to the bloke in question and I think he'll invest the 130 quid + parts.

Which will deprive us both of a pleasureable mornings tinkering...
Paging D Lacey - David Lacey
Yes, but that's what you get having a complicated variable-valve motor!

Rgds

David

PS. Just make sure they replace the cam-sprocket bolts, please......
Re: Paging D Lacey - Dave
David Lacey wrote:
>
> Yes, but that's what you get having a complicated
> variable-valve motor!

Yes, and the fact that we don't fancy doing it ourselves suggests that it'll be 250 quid well spent... Well, he doesn't - I like the work and I don't suffer if we c*ck it up!!! ;-)

> PS. Just make sure they replace the cam-sprocket bolts,
> please......

I'll pass that on. Many, many thanks. Without your post he'd have only changed one belt.
Re: Paging D Lacey. - Dave
Thanks for the advice!

He's bottling it and letting the garage do it. Don't blame him it more work than mine was.

Both parts + Vat + labour are going to come to nearly £250!!!

Jesus Christ!