Garage Problem? - PeugeotMan
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum so I hope I've posted in the correct area.

My problem is this;

About 4 weeks ago we had our Peugeot 306 Slalom serviced and MOT'd by our local Peugeot dealer - it passed the MOT. On Thursday we went away for the weekend and while we were travelling to our destination the whole of the exhaust fell off. Surely this sort of problem should have been spotted? Am I justified in going back to the dealer and insisting that they supply and fix a new exhaust? or will they just say that the exhaust would have needed replacing at some point anyway.

Thanks in advance,

PeugeotMan.
Garage Problem? - DavidHM
The latter. It's hard to see how a garage could have caused the exhaust to fall off although please correct me on that point.

As a general rule, you can only be compensated for your actual loss. If the exhaust were brand new and they damaged it, they'd owe you a new exhaust. But if it was 80% through its life, even if they cut it up with a hacksaw, for fun, they'd still only owe you a fifth of an exhaust because that's all you'd have actually lost.

A 306 Slalom is an eight year old car, so there is no question of there being an express or implied warranty on the exhaust unless you bought the car very recently. Obviously if the exhaust is more recent, it may be covered by the manufacturer/fitter's own warranty.

It's a shame that they didn't spot that the exhaust was worn, but sometimes they do fail suddenly. Even if they had spotted it, you'd have had to pay the cost for a new one. A service is an inspection plus certain specified parts being replaced. An exhaust is not a service item. The most you could hope to get out of them is a few quid for the inconvenience of having to go back - and even then, only if you can prove that they really should have spotted whatever caused the problem.

Finally, as it's a Peugeot and it's getting on a bit, rather than going for the full main dealer workshop experience, I would recommend going to a dealer that has an Express Fit operation, as that uses original Peugeot parts but is significantly cheaper.
Garage Problem? - Altea Ego
for the MOT, the garage would have checked the exhaust for leaks, and fixing security. It may well have passed the "wiggle" test then but fallen off later as indeed it did. Exhausts and the fixings rust. Cant blame the garage for that.