Short term learner driver insurance - recs? - Archie35

Good morning. Does anyone have any particular recommendations for short term (ie 2-3 days) learner driver insurance, to cover my son for a few days while he is home from university to do some practice driving on my car (he has his provisional licence, and has had professional lessons - I'm just wanting to take him out so he can build experience)?

There are plenty of companies out there offering this insurance, so I'm asking in case anyone has had either good or bad experiences with any particular companies recently. Adding him as a named driver to the current policy is ludicrously expensive, but I know one can get this sort of cover for a much more reasonable rate.

Many thanks!

Short term learner driver insurance - recs? - jc2

My company-can't remember who it was now-added my daughter for free as long as we agreed that she was covered only when based at HOME address.

Short term learner driver insurance - recs? - veloceman
Try Marmalade.
They deal with learner insurance I think.
Short term learner driver insurance - recs? - RT

I'm surprised your existing insurer is expensive - adding a learner isn't normally as they're always being supervised - it's when they pass their test it gets expensive.

LV refused to quote for my manual car, which is the one he is learning on, and for the other one, an auto (so not being used for learning) was more than the total cost of both the cars wihout him.

Short term learner driver insurance - recs? - mcb100
I’ve just done this, the broker is Adrian Flux and the policy is with Allianz. Fully comp for a month, £300 excess, was £55.

Edited by mcb100 on 08/04/2021 at 16:20

Thanks. In the end I tried a couple, found one with the RAC (Aviva actually) for £14 for the 2 days he is home, £250 excess, or I can pay another £2 to remove that excess, so I've gone for that one for now. Next time he's back he'll be here for a month so I might try the one you suggest. Hopefully he'll never need to claim on this, but I'm still keen to hear if anyone has had to use a company for a short term learner policy such as these, and had to claim, and had a reasonable experience!

Short term learner driver insurance - recs? - Big John

Decision made - however to add to the thread we also used Marmalade when our son was learning to drive. Seemed to work well.

Edited by Big John on 08/04/2021 at 22:47