heated screen wash - Nigel
Does a kit exist which heats your screen wash and/or nozzles in winter? My SAAB, which the ads tell me is designed for a Swedish winter, does not, nor is it an optional extra according to the dealer. I wonder how many crashes are caused by drivers with windscreens smeared with road salt. Any info welcome. Thanks
Re: heated screen wash - Steve Jones
I think you can get it on the VW Passat...maybe other VW models also?
Re: heated screen wash - Jon
If you use 50% screenwash they don't freeze up.

Jon
Re: heated screen wash - Andy Bairsto
I live in a placewhere -34c in winter is not unusual and have never had my washers freeze ,you just have to use the correct fluid.
DIY Kit. - David Woollard
Nigel,

Very easy to make your own device by getting an extra length of washer tube and routing the tubing via the nearest coolant hose, usually one of the heater hoses.

Wrap the washer tubing around the coolant hose along about 6" of its length. Fix with some house pipe insulation and cable ties.

This doesn't sort out the frozen jet problem but neither do most kits. What makes a huge difference to the jets is where they are positioned compared with the engine.

On our old BX I have modded the washer to one twin jet in the bonnet just over the engine, this rarely freezes. My Xantia has jets on the underside of the bonnet outside of the engine area. These freeze easily.

David
Re: DIY Kit. - Mark (Brazil)
Frequently the bonnet has insulation underneath it. I've never been sure whether it is heat or noise insulation. Nonetheless, if you remove it from behind the jets this will make a significant difference.

Do be wary of spraying water on a frozen windscreen as someone else mentioned.I too have been totally blidned like that.

M.

BTW, Mr. Woollard. One of my female cousins married a Woollard just outside Newbury on Friday - nothing to do with and of your relations, is it ?
Relatives. - David Woollard
Mark,

Can't claim the Newbury clan. 20yrs ago we were the only Woollard in the phone book this way. Thanks to a very prolific, and not associated, family of Woollard there's loads now.

Spooky incident in Halfords a couple of years back. Was in the till queue behind the guy paying. He was David J Woollard too, even the same bank when I noticed his cheque book.

David
Re: heated screen wash - Peter
Some years ago I had a VW Jetta, this had electrically heated screenwasher jets, these never froze up. I know of one person who crashed her car in the winter when she sprayed the windscreen and it froze over.... you need to put plenty of washer fluid in!
Re: heated screen wash - Simon
I think the suggestions of highly concentrated screen wash may bring a risk of damaging the paintwork, especially the water based stuff on recent models. There are some people in this forum who appear to consider themselves qualified to answer each and every query....

I can only advise that I have owned some Vauxhall Senators and Omegas which were fitted with electrically heated washer jets, which as well as stopping blockages in cold weather also increased their efficiency at removing detritus (flies etc) from the windscreen in warm temperatures. They also prevent the water freezing in icy weather as it hits the screen.

The bad news is that there are few of these models in the scrappers, so parts may have to be bought new. I did see a proprietary kit in an accessory shop, but that was many years ago.
Re: heated screen wash - honest john
Years ago there was a kit branded 'Hotwash' but this merely did what Dave Woollard described in his DIY solution to the problem.

HJ
Do some adapting! - David Lacey
What about adapting a couple of heated jets from another car to fit yours?
This surely cannot be beyond any competant DIY mechanic?

Make sure any additional holes drilled or filed are suitably rustproofed.

Volkwagen Golfs 1990>, many of these had heated twin jets.

Wiring up shouldn't be too difficult, perhaps using a branch off the HRW switch to operate a relay for the heated jets? Just make sure it is suitably fused.

Otherwise David Woollard's excellent idea sounds good to me!

I am suprised that Heated jets are not available from SAAB - even Rover do kits for their models.

Rgds

David
Re: heated screen wash - Michael
the correct screen wash, in adequate strength, is the best option to heated jets, if you do not have them. Note, "correct screenwash". Some brands will damage the paintwork. vw dealers sell their own brand that does the job but something similar must be available elsewhere for less money.
Re: heated screen wash - Simon
I have just come across an outfit called www.vehvac.com, based in Edenbridge, who advertise a heated washer aftermarket system in Land Rover Owner Magazine......

Could be what you've been looking for?

Simon