Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - logger

Probably a long shot.

Looking for a used petrol car for a 20yr old driver. As she does some motorway driving she would prefer a 1.4 unless someone can suggest a powerful enough 1.2 ( she has been on our insurance as a named driver on 3 different cars even a used golf gti so she's a very good driver )

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - _

Kia Rio 1.2 or hyundai i20.

we had a kia a few years back and did colchester carmarthen and back at weekends.

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - badbusdriver

We used to have a 1.0 Daihatsu Sirion with 68bhp, it had no trouble maintaining (and exceeding) the legal limit travelling from North East Scotland to the Midlands, so I'm wondering how much power you feel she needs?.

Thanks ...are these the lowest insurance groups which is the main thing..she doesnt really want to be spending more than a £1000 a year on insurance ?

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - Big John

Thanks ...are these the lowest insurance groups which is the main thing..she doesnt really want to be spending more than a £1000 a year on insurance ?

Your original remit was a bigger engine which will not always be the lowest insurance groups.

However It's always worth getting actual quotes on various cars. I was always amazed that my old Octavia 1.4 (not turbo) was as cheap as our Fiat Panda 1.2 re insurance for our young son when he passed his driving test. The Octavia was way better on a motorway than the Panda.

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - nellyjak
Toyota Yaris...the 1.33 model..maybe not the most "exciting" but certainly very reliable.

Completely agree with what Big John says. Insurance group is not (and I'm still none the wiser why, given the purpose of insurance groups!) the be all and end all.

My nephew got an insurance quote for a 1.4 Fiesta a few months before tasing his test. Don't remember the actual figure, but it was huge (over £2k). When he passed his test he bought a Skoda Fabia VRS, the early 1.9 turbo diesel with 130bhp, and if memory serves, the insurance (with a tracker) was around a grand. Via an Alfa Romeo 147, he is now, at the age of 19, driving a Volvo V70 2.4 turbo diesel!.

BTW, I remember asking him about the apparently cheap insurance for the Skoda. According to him, the insurance company classes it as a 'family car'. Go figure!.

Going back to the original post, I don't get it when folk make assumptions about a car's power or performance based solely on the engine size. And I'm not just talking about the current small turbo's here, n/a too can throw up noticeable differences. Having a quick look on Autotrader last night at £3k options, two which came up were a 1.4 Polo and a 1.2 Corsa, both packing exactly the same 79bhp. The 1.2 Polo of the same era had the same power as our 1.0 Daihatsu (but was much heavier).

But also on the notion that you need an engine with a given amount of power to go on a motorway safely, nonsense!. I mentioned our Daihatsu earlier with its 68bhp, but that is a lot more power than some of the cars I've done long motorway/dual carriageway journeys in. In fact that Daihatsu had 65% more power than the Fiat Cinquecento (41bhp) I used to go from Wigan to Aberdeenshire and back again one winter. But it had no trouble sitting maintaining 70mph. The shortest driving time I ever managed between Wigan and Aberdeen (5 hours) was in my MK2 Fiesta diesel with 54bhp (when new, mine was 10 years old and 100k miles under its belt!).

interesting that..just done a quick money supermarket quote and £3000 for the vrs !

ah well ..keep looking

cheers

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - Andrew-T

Insurance is all about statistics. Cars which incur claims more than average have premiums likewise, which is not necessarily related directly to engine size. It will also relate to whether a model is favoured by boy racers, for instance, or gentle young lady drivers.

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - skidpan

I would suggest a 1.25 Fiesta. Loads about and spares aplenty.

Same as any purchase, buy the best you can afford.

No idea about the insurance on these but a mates 17 year old son is paying £6000 a year for a 1.0 ecoboost 66 plate Fiesta that I think cost £8000.

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - Engineer Andy

I would suggest a 1.25 Fiesta. Loads about and spares aplenty.

Same as any purchase, buy the best you can afford.

No idea about the insurance on these but a mates 17 year old son is paying £6000 a year for a 1.0 ecoboost 66 plate Fiesta that I think cost £8000.

Ouch!

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - Grenache

Insurance is all about statistics. Cars which incur claims more than average have premiums likewise, which is not necessarily related directly to engine size. It will also relate to whether a model is favoured by boy racers, for instance, or gentle young lady drivers.

My 19-yo daughter paid the same for insurance for her 1.2 Corsa as she did when she get my 2.0 Vectra.

I think the premiums can also be lower if she has one of her parents as an additional named driver too.

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - Steveieb

Yaris MK 1 is my choice.

My daughter in laws Y reg auto built in Japan in those days with no euro sourced parts has been brilliant and been no trouble in the four years she has had it.

The GL is better looking with the spoiler and ally wheels .

She would get the same now as when she bought it.

Everything works including the AC and has passed its test every year!

HJ s car of choice for a cheap first car ! and finally after almost sixty years of motoring I’m realising that Toyota are the masters of cars for the ordinary people.

Met someone yesterday in the Main Dealer who has given up on Audi BM and MB because they constantly need attention. Practicality sometimes outweighs style and image.

Thanks for the great, honest and candid comments...great advice

I'll take a look around

cheers

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - bazza

Agree with the comments on insurance, we bought a 1.4 Corolla for our son as an 18 year old and insurance was far cheaper than the mainstream options, a nice car with plenty of power, still have it 9 years later and it's 17 years old this year, still a fine car.

Thanks... had a look... 1.4 15yr old corolla £2300...

thx anyway

That is because the Corolla was replaced by the 1st gen Auris in 2007. You'd get a 2010ish Auris 1.33 or 1.6 for £3k.

Looking on Autotrader, the youngest car (without mega miles and no insurance write offs) you can get for £3k is 2015. There are six, two MG3's (106bhp 1.5), two Dacia Sandero's (75bhp 1.2), one Suzuki Celerio (68bhp 1.0) and one Seat Mii (60bhp 1.0).

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/03/2021 at 20:28

2012/3 Mazda 2's available for £3k, they would be a very good bet for reliability and driving enjoyment.

Looked at the Suzuki Swift too, but surprisingly, the youngest would be 2010ish, same as a Yaris or Jazz.

Best used car under £3000 for young(20) driver - Engineer Andy

Probably a long shot.

Looking for a used petrol car for a 20yr old driver. As she does some motorway driving she would prefer a 1.4 unless someone can suggest a powerful enough 1.2 ( she has been on our insurance as a named driver on 3 different cars even a used golf gti so she's a very good driver )

Not sure what's available or that makes a significant difference nowadays, but it might be worth checking on the insurance screenscrapers (put the data in with/without it) to see the ffect of 'pass plus' or similar post-test driving courses, or of the effect of having one of those tracker devices (driving style, not theft) fitted vs how much they cost.

Similarly, and you'd need to check with the insurer - and be honest about it - is what the effect of putting an experienced driver with a very good claims history on the policy as a named driver will be. It's a reasonable thing to put a parent on such a policy, say in case the main driver is taken ill and needs someone to drive them and the car home.

I do this with my policy - though now I add my younger (mid 40s) sister on instead of my (late 70s) dad because it appears that an over 75s with no claims in 5+ years is more risky than no named driver at all, followed by a safe driver around my age.

As others have said, two cars that are similar in terms of engine size/output and even performance may engender completely different insurance levels for a young, inexperienced driver.

Factors to consider:

Whether a car (overall) is mainly bought by young people and is associated with 'boy racing' (for want of a better term), or on the other side, as a car driven by 'safe' people but not considered to be great at handling in comparison (but it won't be 'bad' or 'slow');

The availability and cost of parts and repairs. Unlike with reliability, this would also include bodywork. Cars that are unusual/high performance and/or only made in the Far East and in sold in relatively small numbers in the UK will attract far higher repair costs. Ones that have significant manufacturing/sales bases and parts supply/main dealers in the UK/EU won't be as bad.

If I were them, I'd go for the slightly 'boring' but low cost motoring option - that would include going for a simplish, proven (reliabilty and longevity) lower spec (trim level) car, as that would cost less to insure due to a lower number of gadgets to need to repair/replace in the event of an accident or it being stolen, and the car would also have common (see www.protyre.co.uk/tyres/most-common-tyre-sizes for the list) skinnier, higher profile tyres shod on smaller wheels, which would reduce ongoing costs due to improved mpg, lower wear and lower risk of damage/far cheaper to replace.

I remember when I first started driving at 24 (I passed my testat 18) back in the last 90s - I was looking at a relatively basic Nissan Micra 1.0, Honda Civic 1.3 and Mitsubishi Colt 1.3/1.6. The insurance quotes I got were roughly (then) around the £500, £1000 and £1250 mark respectively. I went with the Micra and actually managed to get insurance with Nissan's own insurer for £350.

I doubt if those in-house deals now exist for youn drivers, but it was the difference between three cars that weren't that big or powerful/quick (the Colt 1.6 was 0-60 on 10 sec) should be noted.

A note about buying cars when you're an inexperienced driver - bring along someone with decent car knowledge when looking so they can spot problems, similarly DO NOT BUY A CAR THAT HAS BEEN MODIFIED - even if the 'mod' is just changing the OEM wheels and tyres for bigger wheels/lower profile/wider tyres or a different ICE system.

That will be a red flag to the insurer (it legally MUST be declared - check the door plate for what tyres SHOULD be fitted) and will significantly jack up the price. Certain cars - even bog standard ones - that are popular with young people and get modded often attarct higher premiums than those from other makes that aren't as popular with the young.

Other factors to consider are obviously where it's to be serviced - find a decent mechanical/garage to maintain it at a reasonable price - a reliable car that's well maintained that only sees the garage once a year for a service will save a decent amount of money over a cheap bit of tat or 'expensive' (but not necessarily good quality) car that costs the earth to keep on the road - never mind the insurance.

Don't buy a (modern common rail + DPF) diesel unless you need it for 20k miles plus and you personally know every owner and can vouch that it has ALWAYS been driven for predominantly longer trips (annual overall mileaga can be misleading) and has seen proper servicing on time/mileage throughout its life. Too risk if you don't - costs/reliability-wise.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 29/03/2021 at 11:40

Thanks for that great detailed reply.

I will give it a thorough read over a beer in the sunny garden this evening

cheers