Peugeot 306 Starting Problems - becks
Recently i bought an S reg (1998) Peugeot 306 (1.6 petrol engine Meridian Model.)
The 1st week it drove without problems, but now it refuses to start. I have looked at the fuel pump which is fine and checked the fuses again these are ok, the car turns over when i turn the key so the battery is fine aswell.
Does anybody have any other suggestions as to what the problem may be?
Peugeot 306 Starting Problems - i love beer
I work at a peugeot garage we would usally put it on a computer this usally tells us its the map sensor or the stepper motor these can be replaced with second hand units if this dosnt work it will be the coil pack as these faults are related
Peugeot 306 Starting Problems - becks
TO I LOVE BEER

Any idea how much it is likely to cost if it is what you said. Can it be done on teh drive or is it main agent stuff

Thanks for the help so far
Peugeot 306 Starting Problems - Dynamic Dave
When the car was last used, was it only for a short distance, or just to get it out the garage to wash it? Previous threads have indicated that certain cars can flood if the engine doesn't get up to operating temperature and the way around it is to either put the accelerator to the floor or half way down and crank the engine until it fires.
Peugeot 306 Starting Problems - AndyT
Have a look at this thread, especially the post by Oilburner.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=95...7

You never know, it may be of some help.
Peugeot 306 Meridian Non-starter - becks
My bargain car is no longer a bargain, this is the second starting problem i have had. The first time the crank shaft sensor was replaced and car ran from August til beginning of November when the problem started again, intermittent starting problems similar to flooding the car. Sometimes you could hear the fuel pump kick in and other times nothing at all. The car will not start now and no sound from the fuel pump. Had car on computer system to be told that ECU was broken, have replaced this but car still won\'t start. Fuel pump is in working order as this has been tested. Any other suggestions? Does anybody think now that ECU is replaced it would be worth fixing it back up to the computer and re-testing to see if there are any other undetected problems, or is this just a waste of another £100?
Peugeot 306 Meridian Non-starter - zed1
Hi becks

i am having the same problem with my peugeot 306. What was the problem with your car, can you email me any advice m_zahoor@yahoo.com

thanks

zed
Peugeot 306 Meridian Non-starter - davidwoakes
I was told I needed a new ECU (for a 1999 HDI diesel), cost nearly £900.

I had the ECU sent away and tested (by www.bba-reman.com). They found no fault at all in the ECU.

The dealer then spent a little more time and found corrosion in the wiring. Cost £250.

Even if the ECU is faulty, it might be fixable or it can replaced on an exchange basis (though not always).
Peugeot 306 Meridian Non-starter - Peter D
You make no mention of spark. In this non starting mode do you have a spark at the plug. Remove the HT lead and insert a peice of copper or other metal wire and mount it away from the plug hole and allow a 3-4 mm gap to an earthed metal part of the head/block, get someone to crank it over and observe the spark or not as it may be. If no spark I would check if hte pump is running during crankingi, if not it may be an imobiliser faul.
Paersonnally I do not think it is the ECU, some garages change these far too readily and very profitable that is too. Come back and tell us if you have a spark. Also post on the BBA-reman.co.uk forum. Regards Peter
Peugeot 306 Meridian Non-starter - solara
If no spark, I would check the coil pack. You should be able to check the resistance of the primary/secondary coils using a multimeter.
Peugeot 306 Meridian Non-starter - solara
PS check spark for all four plugs. As you may have a half-dead coil pack, only sparking on 2 of the 4 plugs.
Peugeot 306 Meridian Non-starter - Fleet operator
I have experience of HDI diesel problems, Prone to getting water into teh ECU wiring and having all sorts of weird problems. Also check the crap quick connect battery terminals as these can cause problems.

One buy a aersol of switch cleaner and spary all ECU connections.

Check the control relay for the rear lift pump, common to burn out on the Bosch Monotronic injection system.

Reucrring problems goto www.autotap.com and buy a code reading attachment for your car like I had to and then you can truely bond with your pug as you can take it by the short and curlys and remind it who is master.

When you get it going, sell it quickly, they have nothing but electrical problems.