old brass footpump - andy n
hi all i have just bought from a car boot sale a what appears to be quite old brass footpump it is very nicely made with brass body and fittings and a steel frame with the words "kismet baby" cast into the footplate, on the body are the words "turner and bros sheffield", any one any idea how old it is likely to be, or any other info many thanks
old brass footpump - pdc {P}
www.antiqnet.com/detail,brass-kismet-baby,253767.h...l

Worth $50

My mum had one with her Austin Cambridge A60
old brass footpump - Cliff Pope
I found one of these a few weeks ago. Beautifully made, but useless.
It runs out of puff at about 25 psi, and has an incredibly strong return spring. Somebody weighing 20 stone would find it quite useful if he didn't mind pumping for half an hour to gain 2 psi.
old brass footpump - andy n
thanks for the info however this one works superbly just pumped up my van tyres to 60psi in no time perhaps yours requires a new leather piston washer cliff?
old brass footpump - Cliff Pope
I'm sure you are right Andy. I just got fed up with messing with it. I took it apart, the washer seemed fine, I greased everything, it would produce a pressure when I put my finger over the nozzle, but somehow just lost everything when connected to a real tyre. I felt as if I was putting most of my effort against the spring instead of pumping air.
But I liked the screw-on brass connector. Much more effective than those modern rubber things that are such a fight to remove before the tyre goes down again.
old brass footpump - Clanger
Cliff, you may be trying to push air through a rubber hose that has gone porous with age. If it's got a cloth sleeve it can be difficult to assess the condition of the rubber. If you have a good example air can pass through the hose absolutely silently. Not difficult to source a replacement at eg Halfords.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
old brass footpump - waterboy
In a 1950s factor's catalogue, £2-5-6 plus purchase tax

Or Kismet Popular with thumb-lock connector, £3-0-0.

Or Kismet Garage Foot Pump, two stage, for garage use, pressure testing device in base of cylinder enabling pressures to be taken without disconnecting from tyre, £10-10-0. (The one to use if someone else paid for it, there would be perhaps another three quid tax to be paid by the private citizen and we're talking of a couple of weeks' pay for many).

Kismet was a decent make, there were dreadful weak and wobbly things in Halford's and such places.

Tomo as was!
old brass footpump - J Bonington Jagworth
"Or Kismet Popular with thumb-lock connector, £3-0-0."

About £70 at current values - sobering!
old brass footpump - NitroBurner
andy n

My Dad's got a f/pump with the insignia 'Kismet Lorry' on it. From WWII. Still works fine.
old brass footpump - THe Growler
I always used to wonder how the makers arrived at "Kismet" for the name for these pumps.

"Kismet" is a corruption of an Arabic/Turkish word meaning "Fate".

I'm trying to think of a relationship between destiny, flat tyres and footpumps. I'm guessing this harks back to the pre-Slime Age?
old brass footpump - remecraft
apparently, according to a company publication celebrating 50 years of operation , William Turner - who had been long seeking a decent name for his company - attended a performance of the musical "Kismet" in London and appropriated the name.
I have restored several of the pumps. The king of them all was the Duplex Master , which can deliver 400 psi without too much strain , and was reputed to go to 500! So far I have seen the"Baby" , the "Car" , the "Lorry",the "Duplex Master" and "Junior", and the "Popular". In addition to these was the "Trolley Compressor" , one of which I have recently bought off Ebay. It is a monster weighing 30kg and having a pair of wheels and a handle.Several of the parts are very badly seized . Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can"unfreeze" them. I have tried soaking in CRC and also have used the torch - to no avail. This pump was manufactured in 1946 and I think may have been in a fire , as the remains of the washers came out in the form of a sort of gritty powder.
The other noteworthy thing about the pumps is that they all came with the famous "Renrut" ( Turner spelt backwards) connector - none better!!
Ebay frequently comes up with Kismet pumps and gauges : key in "Kismet" and wade among the musical CDs , posters , etc.
old brass footpump - remecraft
Not a reply , more of an update : Since I lodged the original message I have completely restored the Trolley monster , having persisted in my attempts to "unfreeze " it. I have also added to the collection of Kismets with the aquisition of a " Sequel" model which is sort of between the single-stage pump and the Master. Several people have written to me asking how to go about making washers for the various pumps , and one fellow in particular did a splendid job - the pictures he sent showed a very successful washer.
Anyone wanting a real , quality pump should not waste time and money with the flimsy modern offerings , but search for a Kismet . These pumps were made to last , and it is a great shame that a company like that should have gone under (1953).
old brass footpump - Paul1124
Could any one tell me where I could buy a returne spring for a Kismet sequel foot pump. I have one which I can remember as a boy my Father bought new. I am now 52 years old. My Father was a traveling showman and used the pump to blow up lorry tyres. I still use it on my car tyres. It still works but not so good because of the broken spring. But still better than the rubbish they sell today.
old brass footpump - erd2010

I just came across a kismet "car" and was wondering if you knew how much it is worth, and where a good place to sell it is?

old brass footpump - ashtree

I have the Kismet Trolley Compressor made in 1946 it has been left outside for some years and became sized solid, If you turn it on it"s side and block it up the pin that you going to unsize needs a soild lump of metal both sides of the pin, leave just enought gap for the pin to pass between both lumps of metal, you will need a good quality punch abought 9" long a shade smaller than the pin , a 7 lb lump hammer a mate to assist you would be handy, if have problems blocking it up under neath you can use a short piece of thick gauged metal tube underneath the pin you will need somebody to help you to do this nodout , make sure it is all soid before you hit it. the pins are aprox half inch in die, get it all solid and hit hard they will both move. good luck with it all i did that with mine it worked well . the problem I have got is getting leather washers I am trying to make them at the moment not a lot of sucess yet . steve

old brass footpump - OldOiler
I'm still using mine!! was my fathers, still pumps to 40psi
K2
old brass footpump - Robbie
I have a Kismet Popular that I still use. I bought it when I was about eighteen and it is perfect. Painted in red with the brass chamber, it works well. I've replaced the hose a couple of times.
old brass footpump - Galaxy
Aren't Kismet the company who make the roller brake testers used in MOT testing centres?

If so, is it the same company that used to make the footpumps?
old brass footpump - Hugo {P}
Aren't Kismet the company who make the roller brake testers used
in MOT testing centres?
If so, is it the same company that used to make
the footpumps?

No, unless I'm wrong, that's a company in Plymouth. The name is not hugely dissimilar, but with very different spelling. I can't remember what it is. I knew someone who worked there years ago.
old brass footpump - bcfromaus
I found one at a garage sale in Australia, $2 (75p?), called Kismet Sequel (name on foot pedal, cast iron?). It has the pressure testing thingy mentioned previously. Best foot pump I've ever owned. Pump body is brass, the frame in which it is seated is really solid, the whole thing weighs about 3kg. The hose (probably not original) required some repair and the rest of it needed a good oiling to get it all moving. It does 70-80 psi OK.
old brass footpump - 659FBE
Having been through about 3 variously branded Chinese footpumps in a short time, I found a Kismet "Popular" in a boot sale for £4.

It's a wonderful piece of engineering. Although not the most expensive model, it has a brass barrel, cast iron footplate and a heavy metal frame. At each bearing, there is an oil hole and the lower ones are protected from dirt ingress by a spring clip with a dimple in it to fit the oil hole.

After fitting a new rubber to the valve connector, it works like a dream. It's such a pleasure to use and makes short work of inflating the tyres fitted to the 16" x 7" wheels (can't remember the tyre size) on my car. It should last as long as I need a pump.

We certainly lost the plot.

old brass footpump - mal
Had a look at mine from a s/hand junk shop for £3.50, it's a Kismet "baby"and will certainly outlast an infinite number of Chinese offerings!!.
old brass footpump - bcfromaus
Who wants to start a kismet pump user group and post photos we can all drool over?

I was thinking to polish all the brass and maybe repaint the red frame.

Any advice on preparing the rusty surfaces to take paint?

Mine has a small aluminium plate on one side, I can't read the patent number due to oxidation. Are old patents viewable on the UK patent office web site?
old brass footpump - bell boy
if you ponce it up bcfromaus it will look like one of those shell petrol cans that everyone painted red in the eighties,let it fade with its time and let the brass fade with its time as well
theres no such thing as a new oldie
old brass footpump - Anders
My old Kismet foot pump ceased working due to the collapse of its leather valve.

Can you tell me how to get a new rubber. The pump diameter is about 2".

Glad for advice.
old brass footpump - Nsar
Old brass footpump...I find it hard to believe that this thread hasn't caught BBD's eye.
old brass footpump - Lud
It's caught mine Nsar. I wondered for a moment if it had been misaddressed and ought to be in the ambiguous notices thread.

Some people just have dark and evil minds.
old brass footpump - billy25
look five posts up !! HJ's post 7th Oct! - coincidence or fate! (kismet)

Edited by billy25 on 10/03/2009 at 13:32

old brass footpump - pmh2
Can you tell me how to get a new rubber. The pump diameter is about 2"

Anders - is english not your first language?

:)

p
old brass footpump - steveincornwall

Plymouth company = Tecalemit. No idea what they make now but a quick google should tell us.

Use an old Dunlop "Junior" footpump myself, excellent bit of kit.

Steve.

old brass footpump - 1litregolfeater

My tecalemit grease guns still do the job, which aint often.

On the other hand my 1957 Royal Mail Oil Gun, in Post Box Red, is the only one I have, and it has plastic parts inside, so it leaks a bit.

Offers invited