Insurance Groups - MichaelR
Hiya.

Just wondering if someone can clear up some confusion regarding insurance groups.

Here are three cars - each car replaced the one before it, and their insurance groups.

1993-1997 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD SX - Group 9
1998-2001 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD SX - Group 12
2001-Present Citroen C5 2.2HDi SX - Group 10

I'm wondering why the 98-01 Xantia is such a high group compared to the bottom two? It has exactly the same 1.9TD engine as the previous model, but weighs a tad more so is actually a little bit slower. The only real difference is a different front bumper, oh, and it has stronger side impact bars and extra airbags. The rest of it is identical, and a non car person would be hard pressed to tell them apart. Despite this, it's quite a ridiculously high group for a diesel powered saloon. Even it's replacement, the faster, more powerful C5 2.2, is cheaper to insure.

What gives here? I'd like a MK2 Xantia next, but I don't know if I can justify paying Group 12 insurance for a medicore performance diesel hatch when something with GTi badge isnt going to cost much more :(
Insurance Groups - DavidHM
Agreed; my car is a Renault 19 TXE 1.7. It's also in group 12, for reasons that are hard to fathom. Insurance groups are only advisory though, so there is some hope.

Some insurers will slavishly follow that and the premiums are quite high. Others will think, hang on, this is a slow(ish) and sensible family car, and quote you based on that. It's hard to say which insurers are which, and I guess that a higher insurance group narrows your choices, but that doesn't mean that every insurer will rate you purely on the ABI recommended grouping.

What group is the Xantia HDi SX in?
The HDi is Group 13! That's the SAME group as the 2.0 Turbo Petrol Activa, which has 150bhp and is significantly quicker.
Insurance Groups - Gen
Isn't the insurance grouping also on average repair bill. So perhaps Citroen increased panel etc parts for the revamped xantia.
Perhaps that is the case, but it's still quite difficult to see why given most of the parts certainly at least look the same as the old model, and I can hardly see the C5 being that much cheaper to repair.

Plus the other one, why should I have to pay a premium based on average repair costs to that vehicle when I only want third party fire and theft insurance? The repair costs are my problem becuase if I stack it I have to pay out of my own pocket.
Insurance Groups - Gen
But if a thief scratches every panel...

Point taken though...often the insurance groups don't make sense to me either...
Insurance Groups - Kuang
The following is lifted from www.abi.org.uk/public/consumer/motor/motoins.asp and while its quite basic, it does make a few interesting points.

--------------------------------
How the System Works

Nearly three quarters of all money paid out in motor insurance claims goes on repairing cars. The cost of spare parts and the times taken by repairers are therefore major factors in pricing motor insurance.

The factors used to calculate group ratings are:

Damage and Parts Costs
The likely extent of damage to each car model and the cost of the parts involved in its repair. The lower these costs, the more likelihood there is of a lower group rating.

Repair Times
Longer repair times mean higher costs and the greater likelihood of a higher group rating. Different paint finishes on modern cars are an important factor. These, too, are taken into account.

New Car Values
The prices of new cars identify the higher specification models within a model range.

Body Shells
The availability of body shells (the basic frame of the car) is taken into account in group ratings because they are essential for certain accidental damage repairs.

Performance
Acceleration and top speed are important factors. Insurers know very well, from their claims statistics, that high performance cars often result in more frequent insurance claims.

Car Security
Security features fitted as standard equipment by motor manufacturers can help to reduce insurance claims costs. Such features include high security door locks, alarm/immobilisation systems, glass etching, coded audio equipment, locking devices for alloy wheels and visible VIN numbers.

--------------------------------

Makes you wonder how things would stand with (for example) the early MK4 VW Golfs with the screwdriver-able locks. Given how much these cost and how breakable they were, you'd imagine a post-recall car would command a cheaper premium. I suppose group ratings can only be so dynamic though. From the above quote, it does seem that a weird few months at the time the rating is assigned could give odd results.