Help choose a car - CRJ26

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

28yr old male, 40 mile commute each way daily, mostly motorway.

Budget approx 12-14k, would consider finance/lease although

presume not very cost effective given mileage?

Ideally after a smaller sized car (hatchback/coupe/saloon) with

good mpg, reliability and comfort.

1 year no claims, currently have fiesta 58 reg 1.25 petrol.

Help choose a car - Heidfirst

What's wrong with your Fiesta that you want to change?

What you have said re. usage to me says a diesel makes sense (as long as you don't live /work somewhere that is likely to penalise one). I would be looking for something like a 1/2 year old Hyundai/Kia with manufacturer's warranty or possibly a Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC.

Obviously you would have to try yourself as what I may find comortable you may not & vice-versa.

Help choose a car - badbusdriver

A 12 year old Fiesta, 80 miles per day commute, and £14k available for its replacement?, why not?.

Diesel should certainly be on the cards with that commute, and as said, assuming you like its looks, the Civic would be an obvious choice thanks to the exceptional economy (around 65mpg), reliability and comfort. That budget would get you into a 2019 (current shape) example with minimal mileage.

The Kia Ceed came with a 7 year manufacturers warranty, so if you buy a 2019 example (from a Kia dealer) it will have the balance of that warranty remaining.

But I wouldn't rule out a petrol if that is what appeals more, 50+mpg should be achievable from a 1.4(ish) turbo petrol.

In general though, as you are (understandably, with that commute) looking for comfort, pay close attention to the wheel/tyre size of any potential buy. Large diameter, ultra low profile tyres are going to have a negative effect on both ride comfort and noise levels.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/01/2021 at 18:12

Help choose a car - CRJ26

Thanks very much both. Commute is to Bristol so possibly wiser to go with a petrol? Given there were plans to charge/ban diesel cars I believe.

Help choose a car - Heidfirst

A 12 year old Fiesta, 80 miles per day commute, and £14k available for its replacement?, why not?.

Because if it's reliable keeping his existing will be the lowest cost - depreciation is normally the highest cost but at age/mileage his won't be depreciating. Given the current pandemic he may be better keeping the £14k in the bank just in case.

The Kia Ceed came with a 7 year manufacturers warranty, so if you buy a 2019 example (from a Kia dealer) it will have the balance of that warranty remaining.

If he buys an approved used from a Kia dealer it will come with a full 7 year warranty. "All Kia Approved Used cars come with a 7 Year warranty from the day you drive away." www.kia.com/uk/used-cars/about-approved-used-cars/

Apparently no longer plans to ban diesels from Bristol (but if you do buy a diesel make sure that it is EU VI). www.cleanairforbristol.org/#intro

Edited by Heidfirst on 04/01/2021 at 20:08

Help choose a car - DavidGlos
...and if you only have one year of no claims bonus, double check the change in insurance premium for anything you’re considering. I would imagine the current Fiesta is relatively cheap to insure.
Help choose a car - SLO76
Spotted a few worthies not far off.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/201912135293958

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012237364712

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010014455753

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009304407993

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012207269157