Land Rover Discovery Sport - DPF just cleaned by Land Rover (AA partner) - Paul Hawes

See below but 20 days later the red DPF light is back on and in limp home mode again.

Also after they took the car it came back with small chip in the windscreen.

The car is 2.5 years old and I dont want It cleaning again after only doing 50miles. Dont want big bills when warranty runs out.

Whats my rights?

The red DFD came on and said take direct to dealer. Took to dealer and they said go home and ring roadside assistance.

They come over took the car over a hours drive.

THERE REPORT

"Customer reported red warning message for exhaust filter full visit dealer on the IPC, Vehicle also in restricted performance.diagnostics checked and found fault for blocked DPF stored in the PCM. I have checked soot levels, 46.999 grams and oil dilution 12.242, software also not at latest level. I have carried out PCM software update, then followed guided diagnostics and carried out dynamic regeneration, then cleared diagnostic trouble codes stored, no further warning messages and normal performance restored. No further assistance required. Engine Oil Level Ok. Coolant Level Ok."

Land Rover Discovery Sport - DPF just cleaned by Land Rover (AA partner) - daveyjp

How many miles has the car covered? If the vehicle isn't covering adequate mileage to keep the DPF healthy you may well get problems.

Its also a brave individual who keeps a Range Rover outside of dealer warranty.

Edited by daveyjp on 23/11/2020 at 22:09

Land Rover Discovery Sport - DPF just cleaned by Land Rover (AA partner) - Avant

Time to flog it, methinks, while you can get a good price for it.

One of these days LR's appalling reliability is going to hit the popular press, and they'll become a national joke instead of a status symbol; and used values will plummet.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - DPF just cleaned by Land Rover (AA partner) - nellyjak

Time to flog it, methinks, while you can get a good price for it.

One of these days LR's appalling reliability is going to hit the popular press, and they'll become a national joke instead of a status symbol; and used values will plummet.

..and not before time....it would be so richly deserved.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - DPF just cleaned by Land Rover (AA partner) - pd

I'm guessing this is a 2.0? In which case there is a fundamental design fault where the DPF is mounted too far away from the engine so doesn't get hot enough to passively regenerate. Hence it needs endless active regens which reduces the service intervals and if not completed blocks the DPF.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - DPF just cleaned by Land Rover (AA partner) - brum

AFAIK its a very well known issue and JLR know all about it. IIRC they issued a technical bulletin to sales staff to advise them which models are effected and that those models should only be sold to owners that will drive them regularly at speed on long journeys. It was revealed in some motoring mag maybe autocar or auto express.

Basically its due to poor placement of the dpf, too far down the exhaust stream, such that it takes too long to heat up or in many cases fails to heat adequately at all. A basic design error..

Some googling reveals the extent of the problem, which models are effected etc. No solution is possible apparently. During warranty JLR I believe are often changing oil FOC when the problem occurs as the engine oil becomes so diluted with diesel in failed attempts at a regen.

Out of warranty you are on your own, not only DPF problem but engine lubrication is compromised and oil level can rise excessively leading to major problems.

Lots of problems that wont/cant go way await present and future school run examples.

www.rangeroverdpf.com/

stormcatcher.co.uk/resources/land-rover-dpf-issues.../ (Warning link are lawyers)

In the US class action lawsuit...www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/range-rover-diesel...l

Edited by brum on 24/11/2020 at 10:21

Land Rover Discovery Sport - DPF just cleaned by Land Rover (AA partner) - Paul Hawes

thanks for them links started reading them after my last post

Its covered 22,000 miles we only had it a few months. we only do about 6000 miles per year

6 months left on the warranty.

So if LandRover know its a problem has no one sued them or claim compensation?

So I need to sell then?

So do other diesel suvs not have the problem?

Was going to order a defender but this put me off

So what diesel SUV should I get that does not have DPF or EGR problems for short journeys?

Land Rover Discovery Sport - DPF just cleaned by Land Rover (AA partner) - Avant

If you do only 6,000 miles a year, mainly short journeys, don't get a diesel.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you were thinking of a new Defender, a petrol hybrid or plug-in hybrid SUV could be the way to go.

If I say Toyota RAV-4 / Hyundai Tucson / Kia Sorento, do you need bigger / smaller / more luxurious / more suitable for off-road work? If you don't want to pay any more, a newish one of these could be a straight swap for your dismal Disco.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - DPF just cleaned by Land Rover (AA partner) - Miniman777

Part of your problem is averaging 115 miles per week is not really suitable for a diesel with a DPF. I cant speak for other manufacturers 2.0d engines, but there has been an awful lot of internet reports of JLR's problems, and as an ex Jaguar employee before I bought my X3 (see below) my leaning was to an F Pace until I delved deeper into the problems. It was too problematic.

We've a BMW X3 (3.0d) G01 in the family, and it never goes out unless the run is 40miles plus at speeds of 50mph or more, and two years on and 22k miles on the clock had no DPF problems. Shorter journeys are in the wife's Cooper S petrol.

For 6,000 miles, you should seriously consider a petrol engine which I appreciate may not be what you want to do - but very few petrol LR Discos, maybe some E and F paces, and Volvo XC40/60s too, and BMW 2.0 petrols.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - DPF just cleaned by Land Rover (AA partner) - daveyjp

As others have said your mileage is completely unsuitable for a modern diesel. I had the same issues with a diesel Jaguar when my mileage dropped from 15,000+ a year to less than 10,000.

This as still early days for DPFs, so issues were not as widely known, but I had regular DPF regens reducing oil change milesge due to short hops, engine oil dilution, EGR problems etc.
After understanding it would always be an issue I traded the car and bought a petrol and that is how it has been for the last 12 years.