Renault Clio - Car insurance Question - malct

I have a question about my car insurance that is due next month.

Last year i was the named driver on the car insurance and at the time of renewal, I told the insurance company that i was the main driver because if my wife and i was in the car, I would be the one doing the driving but i also explained that my wife uses the car for work travelling 5 days a week.

The Insurance Rep informed me that this now made my wife the main driver and told me that the insurance policy would have to be in my wife's name.

The Insurance Rep then told me that i could transfer my NCD to my wife who doesn't have any NCD and it would work out a lot cheaper which we did.

We are now 11 months into the policy and the car will need to be insured again next month.

Because i don't have a clue about transferring NCD's, Can anyone explain what will happen going into the next policy which will be in the next 4 weeks in order for me to know what i am talking about when i speak to them on the phone.

At the end of the day , I don't want to loose my NCD and also is my wife earning NCDs?

It may come to a point that it might be easier for me to run the wife to work which is a 12 mile round trip next year and if i did do that, Could i transfer my NCD to my wife the following year.

Any help would be great .

Malc

Renault Clio - Car insurance Question - _

If your policy is already in your wifes name there is no problem/

However, be very careful that you have commuting on the policy, and if your wife goes to other places for work, or even takes a delivery or paperwork elsewhere that counts as business use, been there and done that.

If you are unsure go to a broker.

Renault Clio - Car insurance Question - ifekas

In the past, couples with only one car had to swap the main insurance policy out between the two every two years or so to avoid losing the built up no claims bonus, but I have no idea whether this is still done. Adding business use to a policy often has no impact on the cost as I have found, but this isn't always the case particularly with younger drivers.

Thank you for your replys , my wife only uses the car for commuting back and forth to work, So there is no business use. , So only need the normal cover that includes commuting to worth fully comp protected insurance.

Regards insurance and main driver, A lot of people don't know that , Even though they have bought the car and are the owner of the car , It doesn't make them the main driver if a family member does more miles in the car. I didn't until last year and what is scary about this, If its found that another person is driving the car more who is not the main driver on the insurance, The insurance company will nil and void the cover.

Renault Clio - Car insurance Question - RT

Thank you for your replys , my wife only uses the car for commuting back and forth to work, So there is no business use. , So only need the normal cover that includes commuting to worth fully comp protected insurance.

Regards insurance and main driver, A lot of people don't know that , Even though they have bought the car and are the owner of the car , It doesn't make them the main driver if a family member does more miles in the car. I didn't until last year and what is scary about this, If its found that another person is driving the car more who is not the main driver on the insurance, The insurance company will nil and void the cover.

That's called "fronting" and often occurs when parents buy a car for their son/daughter and don't tell the insurance that the youngster is the main driver. The difference in premiums is massive.

In your case, as long as you're clear with your insurer who the main driver is, there should be no issues.

Renault Clio - Car insurance Question - Bromptonaut

We potentially have a similar issue with one of our two cars.

One, currently a Skoda Fabia, is registered/insured as mine. Mostly my work car and Mrs B avoids driving it anyway so no issue.

The other is a Berlingo. She has use/care etcetera from day to day but since she jacked in supply teaching she's mostly shopping/social. We also use it to pull our caravan and for most (but not all) holiday etc trips. She might drive a bit on those trips but it's mostly me if it's long haul to our usual holiday destinations - France or the Western Isles. We declared the exact nature of the usage and the insurer agreed she was main user as she had use of it most days.

Being accused of 'fronting' is a theoretical risk. It would be a brave or foolhardy insurer who took the point as between a couple where a family vehicle with a normal usage pattern is concerned unless there was significant difference in age, driving history or claim/conviction record.

You can insure in your name with someone else recorded as the main driver. Admiral insisted that, if I wanted my son on my policy at age 18, he'd be recorded as the main driver even when he was away at University. I only wanted him on the policy for driving when ferrying him to from Uni - a 350 mile round trip - and occasional domestic stuff.

Thank you for your reply Bromptonaut

So because your insuring the Skoda, Then you don't have a issue with your NCD.

I am worried that i will loose my NCD if my wife is going to be the main driver on the next policy.

Will need to research before speaking to the insurance company, I normally shop around for insurance, But this complicates paying insurance on the comparison sites

www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/what-is-car.../

Reading about fronting and if a named driver is involved, The insurance company will look into fronting and if caught, Not only will the insurance be void, You will also end up in court.

I was thinking of running my wife to work 3 times a week and to make myself the main driver, But then if my wife was to have a accident when she was driving , then they would try and get me on fronting since its hard to prove that i drive her to work unless i maybe have a camera on the dash board proofing the journeys that i have taken her to work...

Renault Clio - Car insurance Question - Brit_in_Germany

It might be worthwhile talking to a real life insurance broker to explain your situation and requirements rather than directly with the insurance companies.

www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/what-is-car.../

Reading about fronting and if a named driver is involved, The insurance company will look into fronting and if caught, Not only will the insurance be void, You will also end up in court.

I was thinking of running my wife to work 3 times a week and to make myself the main driver, But then if my wife was to have a accident when she was driving , then they would try and get me on fronting since its hard to prove that i drive her to work unless i maybe have a camera on the dash board proofing the journeys that i have taken her to work...

I've not found an issue when explaining to insurers who was the main driver and the basis on which that decision, in our case on miles driven.

A couple of years ago I was medically disqualified from driving for 10 months but my insurer accepted, after discussion, that the insurance could remain in my name with my wife as the named main driver - her lack of NCD was the reason I wanted it that way.

Just a update

I have contacted the RAC regards the up coming car renewal and my NCD

I have been told that last year, i agreed to give my wife my NCD which at the time i thought it was for one year only.

I have today been informed that when i gave my wife my NCD, It was for ever and that my wife cannot give me back my NCD.

This however is OK for me since its my wife is travelling back and forward to work and even if she finishes work , She can continue as the main driver.

The only issue is getting insurance quotes explaining the my wife has 20 years NCD and she has only been driving for 3 years when she passed her driving test.

Speaking about this to the RAC, I was told that insurance companies will be OK about this since the RAC will issue proof of NCD.

I have done a quote on a comparison site and i was able to get quotes with my wife driving for 3 years and with full NCD.

RAC now only issue renewals 3 weeks before the renewal date, So waiting for the quote.

Renault Clio - Car insurance Question - Andrew-T

I have been told that last year, i agreed to give my wife my NCD which at the time i thought it was for one year only. I have today been informed that when i gave my wife my NCD, It was for ever and that my wife cannot give me back my NCD.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I was surprised that an NCD could be transferred to another person, under whatever circs. I suppose it would make some sense if that person had been a named driver with you throughout.

Interesting Question to HJ

Can I transfer my NCD to my wife now that I can no longer drive?

I am the main driver and registered keeper of my car, with my spouse as a named driver. Can I transfer my NCD to her or can I still continue to insure car though I have been told to stop driving by the DVLA if she's driving?

Asked on 5 March 2019 by Mabozar

Tim Kelly replied from HJ , Unfortunately not. The NCD is not transferrable. You would have to advise that your wife was the main user, but if you are not fit to drive then you cannot enter into a contract of insurance. Make your insurer aware of the situation and see if they can take it into consideration.

Interesting Question to HJ

Can I transfer my NCD to my wife now that I can no longer drive?

I am the main driver and registered keeper of my car, with my spouse as a named driver. Can I transfer my NCD to her or can I still continue to insure car though I have been told to stop driving by the DVLA if she's driving?

Asked on 5 March 2019 by Mabozar

Tim Kelly replied from HJ , Unfortunately not. The NCD is not transferrable. You would have to advise that your wife was the main user, but if you are not fit to drive then you cannot enter into a contract of insurance. Make your insurer aware of the situation and see if they can take it into consideration.

That reply is wrong - I was "banned" from driving for 10 months by DVLA for medical reasons - during that time my car continued to be insured in my name with my wife as main driver - this continued over my renewal into the next year's insurance - the cover note showed me as the insured, my wife as named driver and an endorsement excluding any cover for me. My NCD continued to be applied throughout.

Edited by RT on 26/11/2020 at 13:36