Test Drives - Technoprat {P}
Every time we have test-driven a car, the salesman has said "See you in a few minutes"! When we have returned an hour later he is invariably standing on the pavement looking worriedly up and down the road. How do they expect you to get a good idea about a car in a "few" minutes? We find that an hour is about ok as it gives you the chance to try various different road conditions (town centre, country lane) in addition to flogging it up the motorway a bit at 90 and slamming on the brakes to see if it stays straight! We did find one dealer who was prepared to lend us his own Ford Galaxy for the weekend to see if we liked it (we didn't, much!). But most seem to think 10 minutes is quite sufficient. Is this in case we do actually find something wrong?

Al.

----
Everything I know about cars you could write on the back of a bacterium.
Test Drives - T Lucas
I would be intrested to know how the insurance works when you drive the car off without the salesman.
Test Drives - Galaxy
The last time I changed cars I hired the model I was intending to purchase for 1 week. True it did cost me £250 but then I had it for a whole week, was able to try it out under all sorts of roads and conditions, and was even able to crawl all over, underneath, wherever, to look at different things. I covered just over 1000 miles in it.

An added bonus, in my opinion, was I didn't have a salesman with me trying to sell the car, and, when I returned the car after the week was up, I was under no obligation whatsoever to the Ford Main Dealer I hired it from. I did buy this model, a Ford Mondeo, but bought privately. However, the Ford Dealer did get to service it for the first three years.

I would certainly do the same thing again in the future when it's time for a change. Money well spent, in my opinion.

Test Drives - Andrew-T
An hour should be just about long enough to judge whether the seats will be comfortable on a long journey. My last car's weren't - Peugeot 206 Garros - because the test drive was only about 15 minutes.
Test Drives - Marcos{P}
I always persuade the garage to let me have the car for a day or two, that way I can try it properly.
I have found that the insurance can be difficult to get sometimes as they think because its a test drive I'm going to thrash the nuts off it and get the back out on every bend.
Test Drives - Technoprat {P}
Never, EVER take the saleman with you! Insurance is not a problem as you will be covered either by trade plates, the garage's own insurance ( as you are driving the car with their permission) or even your own as most comprehensive insurance policies allow you to drive someone else's car under third party cover.

Al.

---

Everything I know about cars you could write on the back of a bacterium.
Test Drives - Dynamic Dave
Never, EVER take the saleman with you! Insurance is not
a problem as you will be covered either by trade plates....

Unless a garage representative is with you, you cannot use trade plates. The trade plates will only cover you if they are with you.
Test Drives - Steve S
For every person with honest intent, there is probably some womble who abuses loan arrangements so I sympathise if dealers are a bit cautious.

If however, an appointment is made after an initial enquiry that allows the dealer to make a few sensible checks it shouldn't be a problem - after all it's what insurance is for and they do want to make a sale.

It's one advantage of finding a good dealer and sticking with them - they end up ringing you; anxious for you to try the latest model.

Some dealers like BMW/Merc can be awkward because they feel you should be happy enough to be allowed to buy one! What do you need to test it for? In those circumstances the loan car idea seems a wise move.
Test Drives - Marcos{P}
Mercedes are always willing to let me have a car for up to a week but when I wanted to have a test drive in a BMW 3 series the other year I was politely told to sling my hook.
Test Drives - peterb
I had no problem getting a 24 hour test of an IS200 from Lexus. Nissan once lent me a Primera for a whole week!

Peter
Test Drives - Altea Ego
Renault gave me a Laguna for a day to test, and a Scenic the next day. Nissan delivered a new primera to my work to test for three days and Ford sent a focus round to my house on the friday morning and collected it the next Monday. There is no way I would live with and drive 60,000 miles in a car I have tested for an hour! Vauxhall were willing to deliver a new vectra for the weekend, but I drove it at Millbrook last year and didnt like it so i didnt take them up on the offer.
Test Drives - DavidHM
Drove a new Mégane yesterday for about 40 minutes. I liked the car but the deal I want (free insurance, cheap PCP) is only on the 1.4 base 3 door. It's a good car and while it doesn't slap down the Focus in every way, it looks a better car at the same money. The engine is a bit anaemic compared to what I'm used to though. (Mmmmm, 1.7, torquey!)

I also tried to book a Vectra for that 48 hour test drive. I wanted it for the weekend of 11-13 July but... you have to be 25. I'm 24 years, 11 months and 11 days old, so the javascript form on the Vauxhall website told me to go away.

I'm not going to be buying a Vectra this time but I did quite fancy a go and would look very seriously at something of that category next time round.
Test Drives - Flat in Fifth
Drove a new Mégane yesterday for about 40 minutes

How did you get on with the steering? I absolutely hated it on the one I drove for a few days, the way it loaded up in corners and seemed to have a time delay. Very odd!

Speaking of time delay the dip sitch was odd too. Reaction time from main to dip was instantaneous, but a definite delay in going back from dip to main. Multiplex wiring?
Test Drives - DavidHM
I liked the steering; a decent amount of feel, very grippy and not too light - although no effort required to park. The Focus tends to do that delayed reaction thing even more, although you get used to it and it becomes quite talkative so eventually you learn to place the car very well in the bends.
Test Drives - DavidHM
Oh and I didn't bother testing the headlights as it wasn't dark and I wouldn't have noticed if they'd been yellow like the fogs on my 1989 R19...