2002 Ford Focus - Braking effectiveness - ge79so2

I am interested in buying an apparently well looked-after 2002 Ford Focus which is currently untaxed (in the UK), so can't test drive extensively. The current owner has replaced the clutch, cam belt and brake shoes. The brakes don't feel very effective - the (private) seller says this may be because the brake shoes are new, or just a "different car, different feel" situation. It passed an MOT in July with no major or brake-related issues, and the brake shoes were apparently replaced prior to that. I gather from research there may be air in the system - could it be a "bedding in" type issue? What is the likely worst-case scenario in terms of cost to fix if there is a problem? Would this issue put you off buying it at a reasonable price?

Many thanks,

Gareth

2002 Ford Focus - Braking effectiveness - madf

I would not buy a car of that age without at least driving 20 miles..

Lots of work done.. no test drives = probable faults...Run Away.

(If you were a diy mechanic, maybe another answer...)

2002 Ford Focus - Braking effectiveness - daveyjp

Agreed, it needs a good test drive, Some cars have brakes which appear less effective than others through the pedal, but you need a few higher speed forceful applications to see if they are actually defective. Pulling, fading etc etc.

2002 Ford Focus - Braking effectiveness - John F

If they passed the MoT, the brakes will be OK. I noticed our Focus brakes, two years older than yours, and which are absolutely fine, felt a bit spongy compared to our brand new Peugeot 2008. Corrosion rather than mechanicals is more of a concern for a Focus this age. I trust you had a good poke around underneath with a torch and a screwdriver.

2002 Ford Focus - Braking effectiveness - ge79so2

OK thanks all, have decided against it - the owner just suggested I could tax and insure it if I wanted to take it for a more extensive test drive, so I don't think we'll be taking that any further!

2002 Ford Focus - Braking effectiveness - elekie&a/c doctor
If it’s less than £500 , then it’s got to be worth a punt . If it passed an mot with no majors , then I can’t see it being much of a problem. It’s only the corrosion at the rear end that finishes these off.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 19/08/2020 at 17:43

2002 Ford Focus - Braking effectiveness - gordonbennet

New pads on old discs can feel awful and spongy until they get worn in to the shape of the disc, this can take around a couple of hundred miles.

To run cars of this age effectively you have to be prepared to put some DIY fettling in, could be lots of little jobs need sorting out over time, if a garage is going to have to fix everything then it's arguably uneconomical for the non DIY motorist to dabble in such vehicles.

2002 Ford Focus - Braking effectiveness - Andrew-T
If it’s less than £500 , then it’s got to be worth a punt . If it passed an mot with no majors , then I can’t see it being much of a problem. It’s only the corrosion at the rear end that finishes these off.

Agreed, and also with John-F's comment. You are in bangernomics territory - if you buy an 18-year-old car you can't expect perfection and will expect to fettle a few things to your satisfaction. The recent MoT result can only be encouraging.

2002 Ford Focus - Braking effectiveness - John F

The recent MoT result can only be encouraging.

Especially if no corrosion advisories. I felt it worth spending £100 on two occasions (March 2017 and March 2020) on some welding at the rear to keep our X reg Focus on the road.

Edited by John F on 20/08/2020 at 09:16