Honda Jazz Trade in question - Car Trade in Question - Mmarsh1972

So I have a 2012 Honda Jazz CVT and I am looking at upgrading to a used HR-V in the next 6-12 months

The car only has 26,000KM on it and its never had any real problems except to the body. Lots of scratches chipped paint, and 1-2 small dents. Its all small cosmetic damage as my ex was quite rough on it. But the engine and transmission are like new.

I have about 1500 Euros of repairs to do to fix a replace a broken rear bumper, radio mast and drivers mirror. These are minor part replacements. Those repairs I will do regardless if I sell the car or not.

My question is: If I trade in the Jazz for the HR-V is it worth taking to a bodyshop to clean it up before sale/trade in or is it better to leave as is.

I suspect the car is worth about 10K, and while I haven't had it estimated I have at least 2K of body damage.

Honda Jazz Trade in question - Car Trade in Question - catsdad

As you are quoting Euros I assume you are not in UK? In UK a 2012 Jazz would not trade-in at £9k (€10k). It would be around £5k in perfect condition.

Your local market may be different but if it were a UK car then spending out on the repairs you mention and on body work repairs (total around £3k) would be unlikely to be worthwhile on a £5k car.

To have a better idea why not get an estimate for repairs and also ask a dealer for a trade in value in its present condition. Then get an online trade in value for the car in good repaired condition. You can then decide which way the figures work for you.

Also if you have a company like “We buy Any Car” then get a value from them in its present condition.

You are right to be concerned about condition as, if your market is like the UK, cosmetically poor bodywork will severely affect trade-in values. Equally however good body repair doesn’t come cheap. You will take a hit either way and spending a lot of money on repairs is a risk even after doing more homework.

Edited by catsdad on 24/07/2020 at 06:16

Yes Correct, I am an American in France.

I used the L'ARGUS, for the estimation, its the GO-TO periodical for used car value in France but obviously it cannot take into account car body damage.

I tried to ask the Honda dealer what he take for it, but he said he couldn't do it until I was ready to deal -which I am not for the next 6 months because I may give it to my parents whom also need a replacement for their Renault Scenic II.

I guess the best thing to do is to find a body shop and see what the damage is.

Its really just small scratches and scruff marks, the problem the car is black so you can notice it up close. Its certainly fixable, its just whether its worth it.

Edited by Mmarsh1972 on 24/07/2020 at 10:12

Honda Jazz Trade in question - Car Trade in Question - catsdad

Both our cars are black so I share your pain. Deep scuffs need a professional to deal but light scratches and scuffs can be made to look better with a black coloured polish. It’s not a long term fix unless the scratches are very light but it’s worth trying in an inconspicuous area. You don’t want to make things worse!

Other than that I think you are looking at the right options.

I did try Polish, I forget which one of the better brands. But its just too much work. I havent the time and the whole car needs a revision. My EX really wasn't gentle with it. I think taking to a detailer is a better option.

Oh one thing I noticed yesterday.

When I got to the dealership, the lot was stuffed of inventory. I had trouble finding a parking place. Furthermore I was the only customer. Workshop was empty too.

I have never seen it so deserted. I am guessing that due to the environment cars sales must have really have slumped.

You think its a good environment to find a deal? Someone on youtube was saying to wait 60-90 days and there will be some really good deals. Makes sense, end of the year dealerships will want to get that inventory off the books. Your thoughts?

Edited by Mmarsh1972 on 24/07/2020 at 15:45