Audi A3 Sportback - stolen car claim - Tony-G

hi all

my car has been stolen and i have started claims via car insurance, i had call from them today asking for more details and to check my license details all OK now they want the named 2nd driver details which is ok but there license is unknowingly invalid

will the 2nd drivers invalid license effect my stolen car claim as car in my name my address and i'm the main insurer of the vehicle

Audi A3 Sportback - stolen car claim - Palcouk

Who had been driving it, last, when stolen? Who is the main driver of the vehicle?

2nd driver license invalid I what way?

Audi A3 Sportback - stolen car claim - thunderbird

will the 2nd drivers invalid license effect my stolen car claim as car in my name my address and i'm the main insurer of the vehicle

I suspect that if you added a driver to your policy with an invalid licence you have probably broken the T & C's you agreed to when taking out the policy. That could well open a whole world of grief even if that drive was in no way involved. Insurers will look for any way to get out of paying and you have possibly given them a perfect reason.

Audi A3 Sportback - stolen car claim - focussed

Was there not a phrase used in insurance paperwork to effect of:-"Driver holds or has held a licence and is not disqualified from driving" ?

The OP mentioned the second driver having an "invalid licence" - why?

Was it just expired or was the driver disqualified?

Audi A3 Sportback - stolen car claim - HGV ~ P Valentine

https://www.ibblaw.co.uk/insights/blog/when-does-your-driving-licence-expire-driving-without-valid-licence

The link is as close to the issue as I can find, I can tell you for both car and hgv, that if you are not licensed to drive the vehicle for whatever reason then your insurance is also not valid, even if the company or the main insurer lets you drive it.

As such if the 2nd driver was the last one to use the vehicle they will simply deny the claim and further penalties may apply to both of you. They might be wanting to use that as an excuse to deny the claim as all insurance companies state that you have to inform them of any changes in your license, or any other person who is also insured on the same policy. If that is the case then the whole policy is invalid for both of you and not just the 2nd driver.

It depends on so much, if it was the other person then was the car locked properly ? Where was it stolen from they might want to see if their is cctv,

You could always phone them and ask them why they want to know, and if it affects your claim.

Edited by A Driver since 1988, HGV 2006 on 08/03/2020 at 16:12

Audi A3 Sportback - stolen car claim - R.Turpin

The wording on the insurance certificate (that's the document that counts for criminal purposes) which is fairly standard on most UK policies is "Provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive the vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding such a licence". There are slight variations and it is not compulsory for insurers to use this wording, but most do.

The words in inverted commas mean what they say. The police seem unaware of this. They are wrong. The solicitors quoted in the link above, IBB solicitors, got the case dropped, no doubt because they pointed out that their client had held a licence and was not disqualified. I represented a client in court, a Romanian who was driving in the UK after 6 months without having obtained a UK licence. At court, the CPS dropped the no insurance allegation for the above reason.

The issue in this particular case is not the criminal one. It is a civil claim in contract. One would have to look at the terms of the actual contact before coming to a conclusion.