Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - Nykad21
Hi all,

I’m hoping for a little advice on a recent car order that I made at a dealership after getting an offer on car wow. I’m wondering if I can cancel the car order. I have googled cancelling car orders so realise it is quite difficult or impossible depending on the circumstances but any advice on this would be appreciated.

Like many people I’m sure after ordering a new car I’ve had cold feet. There are a number of reasons for this:

1) Whilst doing some more research on the car I found out that the engine (1.5 tsi dsg) potentially suffers from a kangarooing effect. This concerned me and I wasn’t aware of it at the time of ordering.
2) I also asked for a test drive in a 1.5 but I now believe it was a 2 litre that I drove.
3) I also got a bit concerned about parking it on my drive as it’s quite a big car.

Anyway, I got a call saying that the car would be delivered in a weeks time and I mentioned that I was a little concerned about parking it and just asked if I could swap it for an octavia. The salesman said he would ask his manager and I’m said that I would go back in the next day.

I went down this morning and got told “no way”. Reason being they ordered the car for me and wouldn’t be able to sell it as it was a special order. I find that reason ridiculous to be honest and I didn’t order it as a factory build. I was told it was “in port” and thought that meant it was just waiting to be delivered to the dealership but I didn’t clarify at the time. I think it was already built and waiting to be shipped to the UK.

I was told that the kangerooing issue had been solved by a software update last year. I then mentioned that I wasn’t happy about test driving the 2 litre when I asked to test drive the 1.5. He claimed that I did test drive one but I know the car and it was even still on the forecourt!

Last week I went in to clarify an issue where’s I had been given the wrong monthly price. The same salesman had added the 2 year sales plan and not explained that it had to be added to the finance plan. I thought that I could pay for it in cash. I spoke to a manager that day who explained that it was a sweetener from the finance company. I was a bit cheesed off but accepted it but this combined with the test drive makes me feel mislead somewhat. Ignoring the other issues, if I had test driven the correct car then I might have decided against ordering it on that alone.

I’m hoping to hear from the manager tomorrow but any info/advice would be much appreciated.

Just a bit of info in the order - Whilst I have signed the car order, I haven’t signed the finance agreeement yet. I ordered the car over 2 weeks ago. I don’t know if these things will make a difference.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks

Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - craig-pd130

I am not an expert in contract law, but I believe that by signing the car order, you've entered a contract to buy the car. The finance agreement is merely how you intend to pay for it. I think it's up to the dealer now whether they'll let you cancel.

The kangarooing issue with the 1.5 motor is supposed to be fixed now, although the car being sourced for you is obviously already built so may need a software update.

Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - Avant

"I find that reason ridiculous...."

Bear in mind that the dealer isn't going to be very impressed either with your reasons for changing your mind. You need to look at the small print in the order and then try to have a constructive discussion with the sales manager.

They can of course sell it to someone else but they don't want the hassle of cancelling a contract for no very good reason. If you only ordered it 2 weeks ago, and it's going to arrive next week, it won't be a factory order.

It was the 1.5 TSI manual that had the problem, not the DSG.

If you want to pay cash it's often a good idea to take the PCP, with the incentives offered, and then pay it off soon afterwards. Most PCP contracts don't have any penalty for this.

Craig, above, is quite right about the separate nature of the contract to buy and the finance agreement.

Edited by Avant on 11/02/2020 at 21:50

Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - misar

From what you say there will be no good will from this dealer. I assume you paid a deposit when you signed the order. If you really no longer want the car badly enough to lose your deposit you can cancel unilaterally.

No dealer registers a car in the customer's name these days until you turn up to collect it and pay the cash or sign the finance deal - registration is done instantly online even if they previously told you the reg number. So they will not have a preregistered car to sell and your deposit will cover their wasted time, expenses and more.

If you really want to do this tell them by phone in the morning that you are cancelling and your formal notification in writing will follow immediately by registered post. If they threaten to sue you tell them that is a joke because they are making a profit out of you anyway.

Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - 72 dudes

It was the 1.5 TSI manual that had the problem, not the DSG.

Sorry to be pedantic, but not true. Plenty of instances of the 1.5 TFSi with the DSG/S-Tronic gearbox having hesitancy and kangarooing on here and other marque specific forums.

It's perhaps less evident than with a manual car, but it can still be there.

Depends on how much the OP is saving by going to Carwow and how much his deposit with the dealer was.

I don't think much of the dealer's attitude, but then again, it does show the importance of doing your homework and making sure you test drive the right engine.

Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - Nykad21
Thanks for the replies. I’ll take this as a learning experience and move on.
Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - Dag Hammar

For peace of mind or just to satisfy your curiosity on the size of the engine in the car that you test drove, if you know or can establish the registration plate of that vehicle you can clarify the engine size. The link below is very useful but you will need to know the registration plate to benefit.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Edited by Dag Hammar on 12/02/2020 at 14:07

Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - thunderbird

For peace of mind or just to satisfy your curiosity on the size of the engine in the car that you test drove, if you know or can establish the registration plate of that vehicle you can clarify the engine size. The link below is very useful but you will need to know the registration plate to benefit.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

I seem to remember that the small TSI's (including the 1.5) used a 7 speed dry clutch box whereas the more powerful TSI's used a 6 speed wet clutch box.

So OP, how many gears did it have?

Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - veloceman
Boot on the other foot for me.

Agreed a deal on a new Alfa Giulia two weeks ago.
Handshake, None refundable order form signed, £500 dep paid and finance authorised.
7 days days later General manager phoned me to say they can’t do the deal, the figures don’t work and they will lose £1.5k on the deal.
I pushed the legal side stating they wouldn’t let me wriggle out of the deal so easily.
Sorry can’t do it they said and here’s your deposit back.

Phone trading standard who said the deal us legally binding. Incidentally tried HJ advice line the response I got wasn’t that helpful ‘You can’t force them to sell you a car’.

Ultimately I gave up and moved on.

Now on dealer 2. See how it goes from here.
Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - daveyjp

I suppose you could hope it has a problem then use your right to reject.

Skoda Superb - Cancelling new car order. - badbusdriver

Like many people I’m sure after ordering a new car I’ve had cold feet. There are a number of reasons for this:

1) Whilst doing some more research on the car I found out that the engine (1.5 tsi dsg) potentially suffers from a kangarooing effect. This concerned me and I wasn’t aware of it at the time of ordering.
2) I also asked for a test drive in a 1.5 but I now believe it was a 2 litre that I drove.
3) I also got a bit concerned about parking it on my drive as it’s quite a big car.

That is fair enough if it is just about having 2nd thoughts about commiting to that much expenditure or your financial circumstances changed suddenly. But in this case, it just seems a bit baffling, particularly re the parking!. If you are restricted for space, why would you be agreeing to buy a big car before establishing whether or not it is viable?. Also, i fully encourage anyone to look into any potential faults they may encounter on a car, new or used, but before comitting to buy, not after!. And given you have now looked into the matter, i'm surprised to hear no mention of the DSG gearbox. Of course, as this is a new car, any faults with the DSG would, in theory, be rectified with no cost to you under the warranty.

But I do find myself feeling some sympathy to the dealer in this case!.