Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - DieselMan1966

Hi

I'm looking to by a 2ltr Diesel auto 3008 around the 2014 - 16 model year as I think these have the fluid flywheel auto as to the EGS auto manual, also I have heard the 2ltr is more reliable than the 1.6.

As I will covering over 15k per annum with the bulk on motorways, I am erring to the 2 litre as it will be less stressed for the longer runs.

I was thinking of a kuga, but I have read bad things about the powershift boxes

Are there any other makes and models I should be considering, a Mokka or IX35?

Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - RichardW

Looks like you are right, all the EGS ones are 1.6. There was a facelift in 2014, so best to seek out one of these.

I've got a 2013 1.6D manual - it's doing <2k rpm at m-way speed, with plenty in reserve, but if you must have auto, then these are all EGS. Others will no doubt say they're all a disaster, but mine has been no trouble (nor really any of the previous 10+ PSA cars I've had over 500k miles...!). I rather like mine, once you get over the exterior looks....!

There's plenty out there, and the new model has pushed the prices down, so find the best you can and haggle hard.

Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - Gibbo_Wirral

I'd advise against any Mk 1 Peugeot. They're usually plagued with faults after release that the guinea pig new owners find and report back via the dealers so they're sorted in the Mk2 model.

207, 307, 308 - all have well known issues in their Mk1 models. I would expect the 3008 to be the same.

But, there's a large group of 3008 owners on peugeotforums.com it would be worth having a read at the 3008 Mk1 section to see what issues they've had.

Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - SLO76
If you want an automatic 3008 the 2.0 diesel with torque converter is the one to have. It’s comfy, practical and both engine and gearbox are fairly hardy. The electrics are weak and tend to become a never-ending pain after 6-7yrs of age.

The biggest issue with one of these however is depreciation. Automatic Peugeot’s aren’t well regarded by the trade, mostly unfairly as they tar them with the same stick as the clumsy single clutch automated box that customers all too often hate or pester the service dept claiming it’s not working right when it’s just the way the thing works. It’s actually fairly reliable.

Especially with an above average mileage buy only with the understanding that it’ll be worthless after a few years and be prepared to pay the extra for main dealer servicing to keep it sweet. Personally I’d rather go for a nice late model post facelift Honda CRV 1.6 DTEC auto instead. These are always easy sellers even with big miles up and they’re very reliable plus huge inside. I’m planning on buying one later this year.
Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - gordonbennet
post facelift Honda CRV 1.6 DTEC auto instead. These are always easy sellers even with big miles up and they’re very reliable plus huge inside. I’m planning on buying one later this year.

Check the aircon is working 100%, compressor is a seriously expensive and it would appear common fix looking at some £1400 at the dealer to replace, don't know how much elsewhere, luckily my son's was under full Honda extended warranty, it also threw a rear wheel bearing at a cost of some £350 (full hub replacement), car had covered about 30k.

He sold it to a work colleague of mine when he emigrated, its been completely reliable since flying through 2 mots with no advisories, new owner delighted.

Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - badbusdriver

I'd advise against any Mk 1 Peugeot. They're usually plagued with faults after release that the guinea pig new owners find and report back via the dealers so they're sorted in the Mk2 model.

There is a certain irony to the use of 'Guinea Pig', given the 1st gen 2008 looks kinda like a giant one!. Though in defence of the Peugeot re the above comments, there does appear (looking at examples for sale on Autotrader) to have been a facelift circa 2014, which is presumably why the OP is looking for the age of car mentioned. So, in theory, most of the initial 'gremlins' should have been dealt with.

I too was oblivious to the the fact that not all 3008 auto's are automated manual. Of course it does seem that the 2.0 versions you are thinking about would be very high spec. So lots of electrical gizmos and gadgets to potentially go wrong........

I think if it had to be auto and diesel, without knowing your budget, i think i'd be looking at Hyundai (ix35, Santa Fe) or Kia (Sportage, Sorento) offerings.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/02/2020 at 14:56

Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - thunderbird

There is a certain irony to the use of 'Guinea Pig', given the 1st gen 2008 looks kinda like a giant one!.

When a close neighbour moved in 12 months ago he had a Mk 2 3008 which he did not keep very long. Since then he has had a Picasso, Mondeo, Jag XF, Kia Optima and now has a Mk 1 3008. Must have some redeeming features because looks certainly is not one of them.

Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - SLO76
Yup a/c can be a weak point ditto clutches on manual cars thus the reason for going auto next time. Wheel bearing was unlucky and not common certainty at low miles. Ours had 42k up and the only issue had been the typical juddering clutch from cold which Honda dealers will tell you that it’s a characteristic but ours was fine when new and fine when they reluctantly replaced the clutch under warranty but within a few months it was doing it again so I guess it is just the way they are with a few miles up, most owners mention it. The auto is nicer.
Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - corax
These are always easy sellers even with big miles up and they’re very reliable plus huge inside. I’m planning on buying one later this year.

They look nice but that's a big list of faults on the good and the bad list, including the diesels.

Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - DieselMan1966
Thanks for all the advice something to ponder over
Pugeot 3008 2.0hdi auto Mk1 - are they any good? - sandy56

I ran a Peugeot 407 with the 2l hdi engine and auto (TC) for 4 years, and never had any problems with engine or gearbox. Found it to be a comfortable quiet reliable car. Only ever seen the garage for normal servicing.