How far can traffic light cameras see? - Soph_1

Hi there,

I have so much driving anxiety now that i am back at it after a years break.

This morning I safely went through a green light at a set of lights with a traffic light camera. However, at the lights along the road from this camera,I had restricted viewing due to buses. Emphasis on the fact that the lights i accidentally went through the red at were at the next set along the road from the camera. So what I done may not have been visible to the camera as it was a little further away.

Sounds so stupid and i'll probably get mocked but does anyone think ill get caught for this?

How far can traffic light cameras see? - badbusdriver

I'm not sure anyone can give you a definitive answer to this question, you'll just have to wait and see. Though maybe if you could tell us exactly where this happened, a look on Google street view might give us a better understanding of situation?.

Fingers crossed!

It happened in tradeston Glasgow, at the next lights after the camera

How far can traffic light cameras see? - FP

I certainly don't wish to mock, but going through traffic lights that are red, even "accidentally", is pretty serious.

You also mention "driving anxiety" and that fact that you're back driving after a year's break. I wonder whether you might consider taking some refresher lessons to build up your confidence and improve your basic driving skills, including observation.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - Bromptonaut

Sophie may be lucky and find that the camera either could not see her for distance or because of the bus. If it's a first offence and the line was crossed shortly after Amber>Red then she amy, if flashed, be offered a driver course (I was when I shot one in leicester five years ago).

I'm wary of being too judgemental of the OP. It's pretty easy in a multiple successive lights scenario to 'read through' to the next green and miss the intervening red. I frightened my Mother to death doing it in Leeds 40years ago and it may well have been a factor in my Leicester infraction. It's also an error that's featured in the odd railway accident or at least Signal Passed at Danger (SPAD) incident.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - bazza

Happens all the time, in fact just back from a trip now and it happened then, 2 flash cars semi racing, one jumped and the other followed. If I recall, a friend accidentally ran a red and camera fine was 120 quid. Agree on driver refresher though, well worth a morning. Standards are appalling these days, too many distractions, phone and social media, infotainment ( horrendous word!) To name a few. Several fatalities in my locality over Xmas, makes one wonder what's at play. Stay safe.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - gordonbennet

I too am not going to criticise, there's so much to be looking out for in city traffic these days anyone can miss a light or confuse in a split second which light covers the immediate junction.

Hopefully as you describe it the camera is set for the first set of lights.

I do anything i can to avoid driving in cities in my own cars these days, and if i never had to go within 50 miles of a city again in my life that would be fine, i have to go to these hell holes for my work but that's with a work head on and what makes my living, never by choice.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - Brit_in_Germany

Does Soph_01 mean repeater lights like these:

www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.8532105,-4.2631798,3a,75...2

If so, if the first set with the white line were green when you crossed and the second set red, there shouldn't be a problem.

no, close though, it was back the way at the spar in that area, there is a camera outside that shop and it was further along at the next set of lights as you turn right.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - badbusdriver

It happened in tradeston Glasgow, at the next lights after the camera

That doesn't really help, Tradeston is an area, not a specific spot. I'd need the road names/numbers, both that you were on and that you crossed at the 1st traffic lights that you were on?, also, what direction you were travelling?.

But, there isn't much point in stressing over something you have no control over. You will either get a fine or you won't. Not 100% sure, but i think if you have heard nothing after a month, you should be fine. If you get a fine, assuming you have a dash cam, you may be able to use the footage to argue your case, but, TBH, i think i'd just pay up.

Edited by badbusdriver on 07/01/2020 at 13:23

How far can traffic light cameras see? - Miniman777

Sophie may be lucky and find that the camera either could not see her for distance or because of the bus. If it's a first offence and the line was crossed shortly after Amber>Red then she amy, if flashed, be offered a driver course (I was when I shot one in leicester five years ago).

I'm wary of being too judgemental of the OP. It's pretty easy in a multiple successive lights scenario to 'read through' to the next green and miss the intervening red. I frightened my Mother to death doing it in Leeds 40years ago and it may well have been a factor in my Leicester infraction. It's also an error that's featured in the odd railway accident or at least Signal Passed at Danger (SPAD) incident.

As Leicester has been mentioned, as a local, worth adding a number of red light cameras have been updated and will now photograph offending cars exceeding the limit, even on green. These are known as 'speed on green' cameras, but are identifiable by their distinctive 'addition' - see www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/motoring/how-leice...8

Leicester are also changing the locations of the mobile camera vans, as clearly they are not having the same effect.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - barney100

To be fair after a break from driving it would be easy to get some things a little wrong. The suggestion of refresher lessons seem excellent. Some of the roundabouts here in sunny Basingstoke take all your concentration to negotiate with lane switching, multiple traffic lights, box junctions etc. It's not too bad when you know the lane you need but with lots of white lines hardly showing at night on multiple lane roundabouts it's pretty testing for some visitors.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - Middleman

Provided there are no complications (such as the car recently changing hands, a change of address or errors on the V5C Registration Document) the Registered Keeper must be served with a Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days of the alleged offence (with the date of the offence counting as "Day 0" for that purpose. If a NIP is served beyond that (bar the sort of problems I mention) then no prosecution is possible.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - concrete

Driving in a large town or city these days demands concentration of the highest level. I have found that Glasgow authorities are much more forgiving than their Edinburgh counterparts. In general there are far too many signs to be aware of. Some posts have five or six signs which is a lot to assimilate in a second or so. It is easy to commit an error and of course the ever ready cameras are there to catch you out. However they do have to follow procedure and they have a time limit to send you an NIP for any offence, depending on circumstances i.e. car ownership, car rental etc. If you haven't heard anything for a month then I think you safe. It may help to bite the bullet and book a refresher lesson or two with an instructor, then go over this route and your route to work to familiarise yourself with it while with someone to guide you. Cheers Concrete

How far can traffic light cameras see? - Andrew-T

.... the Registered Keeper must be served with a Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days of the alleged offence (with the date of the offence counting as "Day 0" for that purpose.

Having no experience of this, how would a postal delay of a couple of days affect things? When reporting a change of ownership the DVLA uses 'time of receipt' as the marker.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - Bromptonaut

Having no experience of this, how would a postal delay of a couple of days affect things? When reporting a change of ownership the DVLA uses 'time of receipt' as the marker.

AIUI the court rules contain a presumption that a summons or NIP posted first class will arrive with the intended recipient n working days after posting. Cannot remember value on n but it's in order of 2-3. It was certainly that way for Civil process in the County Court when I worked in one 35 years ago.

The presumption is rebuttable if document can be shown not to have arrived in time. There was a newsworthy case in last 2-3 years involving a famous footballer, possibly David Beckham. Late arrival of a NIP was accepted on basis of 'received' date stamp at leasing company's offices and evidence as to the rigour of their post room processes.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - Middleman

Having no experience of this, how would a postal delay of a couple of days affect things?

It would affect things by making the service of the NIP late and so rendering a conviction impossible (Road Traffic Offenders’ Act, 1988, S1). A precedent to deal with such circumstances was set in the case of Gidden vs Chief Constable of Humberside:

www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff73c60d03e7f57ea...1

Mr Gidden was served with a NIP on day 16, the lateness being due to a postal strike. The prosecution accepted that the NIP was late but relied on the “presumption of service” in the Interpretation Act. Mr Gidden was originally convicted in the Magistrates’ Court and lost his appeal in the Crown Court. However, he raised the matter as a “case stated” in the High Court. There Lord Justice Elias and Mr Justice Openshaw ruled in his favour and awarded his costs.

AIUI the court rules contain a presumption that a summons or NIP posted first class will arrive with the intended recipient n working days after posting. Cannot remember value on n but it's in order of 2-3.

n = 2 working days (Interpretation Act, S7).

The presumption is rebuttable if document can be shown not to have arrived in time.

Only if the service is by First Class Post but not if by Registered or Recorded Delivery (this is explained in the Gidden Judgement).

There was a newsworthy case in last 2-3 years involving a famous footballer, possibly David Beckham. Late arrival of a NIP was accepted on basis of 'received' date stamp at leasing company's offices and evidence as to the rigour of their post room processes.

It was indeed Mr Beckham.

How far can traffic light cameras see? - wilmarub

As worst, you'll get a fine and a few points.

Don't let it impact your confidence.