New Octavia revealed - Engineer Andy

It looks bigger than a Mondeo. Seems fine to me, looks-wise, better than the styling changes to the latest VWs like the Golf and Polo, which to me now look 'fat'. I admit that the boot end does look rather large with that long overhang. It still surprises me that they sell the Superb as well, given the size of this car and how small the market for large 'saloons' is, outside of the premium brands *which isn't that large to start with).

The Octavia can't really be called a 'C' sector car any more, even if it's based on the Golf, given its size. I bet this new one won't be cheap either, now part of a very crowded market.

New Octavia revealed - Bromptonaut

Is current Ocatvia hatch or estate rather than saloon or estate?

My daughter and her hubby have estate but thought choice when they bought was saloon.

New Octavia revealed - badbusdriver

Is current Ocatvia hatch or estate rather than saloon or estate?

My daughter and her hubby have estate but thought choice when they bought was saloon.

I'm pretty sure the Octavia has never been available as a saloon, at least not in the UK. Current shape does look like a saloon though.

It was inevitable that it would grow in size though, partly because that is the overall trend these days, but also because the Scala is a much more spacious car than its (at least theoretical) predecessor, the Rapid. This also implies that the next Superb will be bigger again to put some distance between it and the new Octavia.

New Octavia revealed - Engineer Andy

bromptonaut, always hatchback and estate, there's never been a saloon.

Indeed it is, but it looks like a saloon, because the boot is large, long and has a shallow rear windscreen. That's one of its (and the smaller Rapid) greatest strengths - decent looks of a saloon at the rear, big boot, decent hatch opening, unlike my Mazda3 saloon, which has a small boot opening and cannot fit large boxes through the aperture.