"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - Bilboman

This is a natty little device recently homologated for use in Spain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qQv9aRVbF4 It's a "Starsky & Hutch" style amber beacon to mount on the roof of a broken-down car. Drivers now have the option to use this on a single carriage road (statistically the most dangerous ones) instead of getting out to place a warning triangle 50 metres fore and aft. (Triangles are still required if a car is broken down near a bend, though.)

2 and a half hours' battery life; can be used from inside the car; useful for motorbikes. What's not to like? I wonder if it'll ever catch on in the rest of the world.

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - Big John

This would be useful on those scary smart motorways in the UK - I saw two incidents with cars broken down on the left LIVE lane with no signs showing on a trip down the M1 last Sunday with traffic swerving around them. Heaven knows what it would have been like in the dark and/or bad weather

Edited by Big John on 12/10/2019 at 20:54

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - gordonbennet

Indeed Big John, if i travelled unsmart motorways regularly in my old 4x4 i'd invest in one of those very low profile full-width roof strobes as used by the highways maintenance crews.

Wet dark unlit smart motorway has to be one of the most dangerous places you could break down, maybe not so bad if you and your passengers are able bodied.

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - Big John

...... maybe not so bad if you and your passengers are able bodied.

Indeed - so you can run and jump clear over the barrier!

Also the emergency bays are rather small - hard to aim for and stop in time without really slowing down and if someone else is in it then it's game over. Fortunately I've not had to try this in real life yet.

I keep a Nebo Lil Larry LED torch in the car that is amazing - it also has a really bright flashing red strobe and a strong magnet so you could stick it on the roof if you break down.

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - KB.

You've struck a chord there ....

There was a time when I used the M3 fairly regularly and at that time they were converting it to a Smart Motorway with 13 mile stretches of roadworks with 50 mph limits and reduced lanes etc. Not pleasant.

In short - it caused me sufficient concern that I did go out and buy a red magnetic revolving beacon with a full strength halogen bulb as well as a magnetic Britax LED strobe unit. (OK, I'll confess I already had a Brtish Standard amber magnetic revolving halogen bulb jobbie which I've kept in the boot for years). They're all still in the car, along with a very comprehensive set of waterproof Hi-Viz gear (one full set each, in fact).

I also bought one of those little manetic LED warning lights that have multiple LEDs all round it and have a dozen different flashing patterns - and I have to say I would think it was about as powerful as the one in the clip, shown above. And in reality it's not a life saver in my opinion. Not visible enough from a distance.

Having had an HGV come within whisker of wiping out my car (stationary on the hard shoulder with the Mrs. inside) I reckon I've learned a lesson about motorway traffic.

In a previous life I used to have to work, in emergency, blue light, situations, on motorways - day and night ..... and it's only when you're working on the road in close proximity to motorway traffic that the reality is brought home.

I've just had a poke nose on Amazon, punched in 'amber strobe light 12v', there's lots of options from magnetic roof flashers as KB sensibly has, similar to roadwork spec (i have no idea how effective in the real world) to smaller units that could easily be affixed almost invisibly inside the rear window, £30 or less, plus the cost of an extension lead if needed or if the car is long term ownership get a sparky to perma wire the thing in with a switch.

Those small unobtrusive units listed i see being used on HGV's carrying mobile homes or other wide loads, size isn't everything those small strobes really work.

I'm going to get something for each car, its seldom we travel on smart motorways in our own cars, but you only need the one breakdown and that could happen anywhere.

Not mentioned yet, but if drivers opened their eyes and drove within their capabilities (seemingly diminishing rapidly) these things wouldn't be needed, but we are where we are.

Any comments on this one please chaps

www.amazon.co.uk/Proster-Emergency-Waterproof-Magn...2

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/10/2019 at 10:29

Re. the link you show above, GB - have to say whilst it could be amazing, I feel if you're gonna go to the trouble of getting one and want one you feel you could rely on to give you the best chance .... then it might be you have to pay a tad more.

I have no particular affinity or inside knowledge about the place but I finished up buying from CommercialVehicle Products in Tamworth, Staffs. The two items I got from them were 1. Britax 390 series magnetis 12 volt SKU BRI 394 00 12v - and they still do it. I ordered mine with a red lens at no charge. 2. BritaxA100 mini lightbar, magnetic, amber SKU BRI A100 .00. LDV.

The first one is almost certainly brighter than the second but the main reason the second one is that being LED it uses next to no current and I felt that it would be OK to leave it on with the engine off and not drain the battery if I were stuck for any length of time. Whereas the 12 volt halogen might be considered high drain with the engine off?

I had good service from the company and wouldn't hestitate to recommend them based on the way they dealt with me.

Having said all that, the Britax mini light bar that I got is at the cheaper end of the range of mini light bars and I'm certain you can get brighter ones (but maybe they're more expensive). Check the website, they're all listed there. For example my local refuse collection vehicles, and some breakdown rescue vehicles seem to have lights that you can see from the moon.

There are absolutely millions of them on Ebay and Amazon ... all promising the earth. Do a bit checking and strike the right balance .... mnaybe ring the company and tell them what you want and what yopu want to pay as a maximum and see what they say.

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - CHarkin

For many years I worked for a Highways Authority and one day out of the blue a sales rep came to our office selling a device like this. It was a kit of five lamps that lived in a very neat box and they all could be charged up together by plugging the box in to the mains. Good quality professional items that like cats eyes could withstand a wheel going over them. The clever thing was that when you set them out on the road in a taper, kerb to centre line and switched them on they adopted a flashing sequence from the furthest away to the nearest to the car, like some modern indicators. Very effective but also expensive at over £300 a set.

Are any of these things really that much more effective than your hazard flashers?

For many years I worked for a Highways Authority and one day out of the blue a sales rep came to our office selling a device like this. It was a kit of five lamps that lived in a very neat box and they all could be charged up together by plugging the box in to the mains. Good quality professional items that like cats eyes could withstand a wheel going over them. The clever thing was that when you set them out on the road in a taper, kerb to centre line and switched them on they adopted a flashing sequence from the furthest away to the nearest to the car, like some modern indicators. Very effective but also expensive at over £300 a set.

Are any of these things really that much more effective than your hazard flashers?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=calhSEv177Y

I have two of these - one for each car, both readily to hand inside the car, and they seem a bit like the ones you describe. I have seen adverts for that sort of thing and they looked like mine. Mine are rechargable and hold their charge for ages - BUT in all honesty they simply not very bright - especially not just one stuck on your roof. Millions of different flashing patterns but ultimately - not very bright.

Its flashing light at a higher level that i'm looking for, at lorry driver eye level, plus in the centre'ish of the roof and a rapid flashing sequence in theory more likely to be noticed than standard hazards which are after all simply indicators so only the equivalent of a 21w bulb and generally low set.

Its lorries which are the deadliest vehicles obviously for such circumstances (and the ones most likely to be travelling after several hours driving in that very left hand lane), in the cut and thrust of modern traffic its not the lorry driver who travels at a good distance from the vehicle in front who is the danger, generally he'll spot the breakdown from hundreds of yards back and be taking action with plenty of warning to other traffic, its the bod further back who can't see anything in front because of the body of the lorry in front and if he's following too close (as so many now do, tailgating is now a serious problem) and the lorry in front swings out last minute?

Much obliged for the further info KB, i shall be looking at the options here, don't want something too big because i want them to be within reach of the driver's seat and able to be plonked on the roof and active literally as soon as the car has stopped rolling.

If we didn't have the dogs in the boot of both cars regularly i would fit smaller strobes along the top of the rear window line, inside the rear screen and perma wire them in with a dash switch.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/10/2019 at 19:34

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - Miniman777

Each of the family cars has one of these - www.homebargains.co.uk/products/14230-nitelite-sup...x

5 lighting/flashing modes inc white torch, magnetic base. Not bad for £3.99, but not like a proper beacon.

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - focussed

To my mind it's not anything like bright enough. A proper halogen rotating beacon is what's needed IMHO. On a smart motorway you would need more than one!

To my mind it's not anything like bright enough. A proper halogen rotating beacon is what's needed IMHO. On a smart motorway you would need more than one!

Hence me having an amber one and a red one in the Yeti. And, l don't even have to go on Smart Motorways very often now ... but the A38 and A380 between Exeter and the Plymouth/ Newton Abbot direction (Splatford Split) is the next best thing when it comes to hazardous stretches of dual carriageway.

Edited by KB. on 14/10/2019 at 12:13

Ordered a couple of these

responsevehiclelighting.co.uk/rvl-0148-low-profile...l

rated at 70mph so could be plonked on the roof before a dark journey, will update when we see how they perform, took KB's experience to heart and bought from what appears to be a professional vehicle lighting company.

oh and much obliged to Bilboman for raising the issue here with that link, SWMBO sometimes travels alone with the dogs in boot in the early hours, but these days she takes my big old Toyota in which hopefully there is a low chance of breakdown but i will feel a lot happier if there's one or even two of these flashy things sitting on the roof during the journey ready to be lit at a moments notice.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/10/2019 at 13:12

What a joy to see someone pick up on something like this, do a bit of research, and get the job done straight away. Really heartwarmingstuff!

I should have reminded you to look for the R65 - but you went for one that fulfilled that anyway.

Do come back with your thoughts - will be interested to hear them.

Does look like the dog's nadgers - hope I don't get envious.

Thanks KB for your help here, yes i wanted waterproof and decent (we'll see) speed rating and mag mount, wanted this trail to be with beacons that could be plonked on the roof prior to the journey.

Wasn't going to break the bank for this trial, and i may yet splash out on a full width low profile light bar if i can get one that i can affix somehow between the roof rails on the Toyota without having to drill the roof so the bar is no higher than those rails.

Will update soonest.

Never really thought of getting these things before this thread, but probably 3 mornings a week in my lorry i travel the 4 lane section of unsmart motorway north of Northampton (soon to be fully open 4 lane mostly unlit from the M6 junction to Luton, beyond is lit) in the early hours, around 5am on that section when early shift workers are on the move in their typically older cars, its a horrible dark completely unlit section and i'm constantly wary of of finding an unlit unwarned of vehicle broken down in that left hand live lane, i believe at least one chap has been killed in that section alone in the dark since it went smart, hit by the inevitable lorry, i'll not comment about the lack of driving standards involved.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/10/2019 at 13:43

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - Avant

Many thanks Bilboman for starting this thread and everyone for contributing. Like others, I hadn't thought about it, but I need to now, gven that it seems nothing will stop the Highways Agency's thoughtless plunging into the death traps that are "smart" motorways.

The only thing that worries me about lights like the 12v-socket-powered ones the GB has ordered is - what happens if the reason for the breakdown is that all the car electrics have gone dead? A rechargeable light would avoid that problem, but would it be bright enough?

Many thanks Bilboman for starting this thread and everyone for contributing. Like others, I hadn't thought about it, but I need to now, gven that it seems nothing will stop the Highways Agency's thoughtless plunging into the death traps that are "smart" motorways.

The only thing that worries me about lights like the 12v-socket-powered ones the GB has ordered is - what happens if the reason for the breakdown is that all the car electrics have gone dead? A rechargeable light would avoid that problem, but would it be bright enough?

Fair point Avant about complete electrical failure, but that was part of the reason i went for LED units and will do so again if i upgrade, battery power would have to run really low for leds not to work effectively, and there should be enough warnings from the car's lights getting dimmer and not get to a point the battery dies completely, obviously it could happen but the risks should be low, the two torches i carry in each car have flash functions too, so could be placed on the roof facing backwards, not great i admit but better than a completely unlit vehicle on a dark section of unlit road.

I'm glad we've had these two similar threads running here, this one and the one titled Smart Motorways, sometimes discussing these things make you think about them more deeply than maybe we have been, it's not just a case of breaking down any more on a normal motorway where the chances are you would be pretty safe on the hard shoulder, your life and those with you really is in danger on these new bodged up motorways.

People often say its no different to being on a dual carriageway with no hard shoulder, but it is, dual carriageways you are expecting traffic entering and leaving laybys as well as poorly designed junctions, there's slow moving vehicles, bicycles, even horses, sometimes public footpaths cross the road, on motorways non of this applies, but the big difference is that on many dual carriageways as your car came to an unplanned halt there's a decent chance of being able to run the car onto the grass at the side of the road, it doesn't matter if gets stuck at that point once its mobile again the breakdown lads will sort that out, its gets you clear of the road, that's what counts.

A lucky and quick thinking chap in a van on that M1 Northants section i speak about only a couple of weeks ago, the armco to the left is solid for almost the entire section between refuges, but he'd managed to get his van onto the grass where there was a break in the barrier beside one of those signs gantries, in the dark i might add, that quick thinking action probably saved an accident from happening.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/10/2019 at 16:04

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - Manatee

I will just say that I am horrified at the thought of having to 'park' in a live lane on a busy motorway. A hard shoulder is dangerous enough.

Before the era of smart motorways, I broke down on the M1 just north of Watford - a bust throttle cable on an Audi 80. I drove it on tickover onto the slope of one of those mounds they used to have for police traffic cars to park on.

Such a car stopped a few minutes later. The PC enquired as to why I had ignored the sign saying 'authorised vehicles only' or whatever. I told him it was to reduce the chances of somebody colliding at speed with my broken-down car, notwithstanding that I had got out of it. His manner changed and he agreed it was a good idea.

Edited by Manatee on 14/10/2019 at 16:38

Re. Avant's point about a lack of 12 volts - I'm really afraid that I thought of that too - but probably not as effectively as WITH 12 volts .....

I've seen how darned effective enthusiastic road cyclist's rear (and front ones, come to that) lights can be. So I have a little arrangement whereby I can line a couple of (reasonably priced, but very bright) LED flashing cycle rear lights, which run off AA or AAA rechargeable batteries ... the ENELOOP or RECYCLO batteries keep their charge for ages. Two of them side by side, flashing in and out of sync are very bright. With the added advantage you could stick them next to your warning triangle 50 yards bahind the stricken vehicle if you happened to be stuck on a blind bend.

On top of that I always keep the odd LED torch or two handy- and especially those with a strobe function - and trust me, if you point them back down the road to face oncoming traffic, they're gonna see it. At night I reckon if you just sat one in the road and faced it pointing towards the back of the car they would light the back of the car up more than enough to make the car very visible. On most you can vary the rate of strobe to suit yourself.

Edited by KB. on 14/10/2019 at 16:34

As promised an update on the new beacons, 1 of which arrived today, the 2nd one due tomorrow, don't ask me why, they use DPD which is one of the best home delivery services because you get an email with a one hour time slot for del.

responsevehiclelighting.co.uk/rvl-0148-low-profile...l

Well packaged, no instructions but pretty obvious, non coiled cable, single male cigar lighter plug, two switches on the plug, one illuminated when on on/off switch, the other controls about 6 or 7 different flash sequences ranging from on continually to rotate, we've settled on an intense multiple flash several times a second which alternates between font/rear and side/side.

OK, the body is decently robust, the base single magnet more powerful than i hoped, it sits on the roof firmly (and doesn't look out of place on a 4x4 at all, the cable could be longer though 3m is only just enough and i shall get a couple meter extension cable, and we shall find a small pack of some sort to put the thing in so its protected in the car when not in use, but it might even stay in place on the Toyota because SWMBO is using it more than me these days...i'm relegated to her flying Forester, poor me :-))

If you kept one of these types of beacon in the car within reach you could open the window slap it on the roof just above you and have it plugged and working in seconds in the event of stoppage.

Its bright, this can be seen easily from hundreds of yards away, makes the standard hazard flashers look really dim, if you are within say 30 ft of it and look directly it's hard to look at, decent enough for daylight performance in dull weather but obviously it would be less effective in bright sunlight, but good visibility usage wasn't what we were after, it was mainly for safety in the dark or dull wet weather in the event of sudden stoppage on smart motorways especially, and i'm happy enough with it, hopefully it/they will never be needed in anger and we shouldn't really need to be going to these lengths in a modern country like this.

Don't know why i didn't think of doing this before, improved my peace of mind for SWMBO's solo journeys now, again thanks for the suggestions and help Bilboman and KB.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/10/2019 at 20:32

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - Bilboman

Obviously, hoping neither gordonbennett nor anyone else ever has to use the things, but there's no price on peace of mind!
I think the amber light is likely to reduce rubbernecking as most drivers realise it's more a case of "Move along, there's nothing to see" , whereas reds - just like the "official" blues -tend to bring the gawpers out. Police cars in Spain often put on amber lights when stopped for that very reason.
Curiously, fire engines and ambulances in Spain are finally switching over from amber to blue emergency beacons over the next few months after years of campaigning by drivers and their unions, and years of being mistaken for dustcarts and towtrucks!

"Help flash" - rooftop beacon for car breakdowns - Avant

Thanks again - yes, the chances of complete failure (rather than just a flat battery) are hopefully minimal (as I'm not about to buy a Land/Range Rover), and like KB we have big torches in both cars whuch would be better then nothing if that did happen.

Special thanks to GB for the update confirming that they are indeed bright enough. Brighter no doubt than anything rechargeable or AA-battery-powered.