Audi A3 - Accident claim - Black-Box - nick62

Had a youngish guy driving an Audi A3 run into the back of me today whilst I was stationary in a queue at traffic lights.

Quite a "bang", but not enough impact for his air-bags to deploy. My rear bumper is ruined (and the parking sensors have given up the ghost) and other than that and two very minor dents in the tailgate (probably fixable by a good "dent-doctor"), I've got-off lightly.

The young chap held-up his hands, but was very keen no to go via his insurance company "as losing his NCB would "c******" him". His car did not have as much damage as mine outwardly - good job I didn't have the tow-bar attached.

I was too busy to do anything about sorting-out the aftermath straight after the event, and was mulling how to proceed on the journey home, when his insurance company called me literally pleading to "take care of me" and get me in a hire car. Apparently his "black-box" had alerted his insurance company, who then called him and he gave them my details!

On the face of it, my repair should just be a new bumper ( + paint and fixings), plus an hour tops of a good "dent-doctor". There is no paint damage on anything other than the bumper and no lights or glass are damaged

I'm keen to get my main dealer (VW) to repair my vehicle (or at least to let them handle it via their approved bodyshop), am I within my rights to insist this is done rather than at some other third-party repair centre who his insurers use?

Audi A3 - Accident claim - Black-Box - Big John

You still have to declare any accidents even if you don't use an insurance company to repair, although the black box has sorted that bit out for him.

I think you can insist on your main dealer through the insurance company

Edited by Big John on 15/04/2019 at 21:51

Audi A3 - Accident claim - Black-Box - nick62

You still have to declare any accidents even if you don't use an insurance company to repair, ...........................................

I spoke to the young lad (after his insurers called me) and have since sent my broker a comprehensive email with all the details of the accident, (my insurance companies claim line was out of order when I called).

It must have been a bad day for claims, perhaps they also insure the Notre Dame?

Audi A3 - Accident claim - Black-Box - Auristocrat

"I think you can insist on your main dealer through the insurance company"

Check your policy if going through your own insurance and using a main dealer, as some insurers now charge an additional excess if not using their approved repairer.

Audi A3 - Accident claim - Black-Box - bathtub tom
Quite a "bang", but not enough impact for his air-bags to deploy. My rear bumper is ruined (and the parking sensors have given up the ghost) and other than that and two very minor dents in the tailgate (probably fixable by a good "dent-doctor"), I've got-off lightly.

There's usually a substantial amount of foam behind the bumper and a pressed steel section under that. If you've dents in the tailgate, I suggest you have a very critical look at your boot floor for wrinkles.

Audi A3 - Accident claim - Black-Box - Brit_in_Germany

Tell the kid's insurance co. that either repair by your VW garage or you will go through your insurance co. If you let the other insurance co. deal with it, I believe you have no route to complain through the ombudsman if you are not satisfied with the repair.