Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 mechanical failures - Sarah Curran

Hi all, I bought a 2013 Mazda CX-5 in Oct 2018, the milage was170,000 kilometers. It was driving grand until Dec 2018 when it lost power and the turbo chargers went along with the engine... Brought it back to car dealer, they had it over a month... Got it back in Jan and they said they sent it to a main Mazda garage to be fitted with a new engine and turbo chargers. I got a further 9 month warranty off the dealer. Then last week (March 2019) the heater stopped working and I got it checked and there was no coolant. It took 3.5litres of coolant. Brought it back to the dealer. They ran tests and told me that it looks like the head gasket is gone... I'm not up to speed on the mechanics of a car. My question is, what's the best course of action? Should I tell the dealer that I no longer want the car? Is it most likely going to give me more trouble now? They had the car so long the last time I feel like they messed me around. It's a big car dealer and doesn't neccenecesn have a bad rep as far as I know.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 mechanical failures - SLO76
Since you’re listing the mileage in km rather than miles I assume you’re not in the UK? No one on here will be sure of the laws regarding used cars in your country if so but I can tell you that Mazda’s 2.2 Skyactiv diesel is rather notorious for failures like this and is a very poor option as a used car especially with over 100,000 miles up.

I doubt the dealer will be interested in taking it back after the money they’ve apparently already spent but your best option is to get it running then trade it in or flog it through an auction if they exist where you are. Don’t spend any more money and time on this, get shot of it and buy the simple more modest petrol engined car that your budget will reliably allow and forget complex turbo diesel SUV’s until funds allow for a good one.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/03/2019 at 12:48

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 mechanical failures - 72 dudes

I agree with SLO - lots of reports about the Mazda 2.2L diesel giving problems at a low mileage, let alone with 105k miles up when you bought it.

I think Sarah is in Southern Ireland by the use of some of her phrases, so the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 will not apply.

Get rid and take the advice of opting for a more simple petrol engined car.