Ford Focus 2003 Auto - Insurance increaes every year. - bluenun

I am not looking for advice but am interested to know if your motor insurance goes up every year?

Mine has gone up £48 with the same insurer, I still have never made a claim in 35 years and currently have no points on my license.

The broker telephoned me to let me know it is due in 2 weeks (I knew that) and asked if I had any new motoring offenses which I have not. I did not have my paperwork handy to see what I paid last year. I asked what this years cost is and was told £349. I said I would like him to post my new quote so that I had something to go by when looking for an alternative insurer. I do this every year.

He told me if I did find a cheaper insurer to get back to him and he would look for a cheaper quote.

I asked if he could do that now and he said no he cannot until I find a cheaper quote.

Just curious if you all get this every year.

On another note my car tax is now £290, lol. My car can only be worth £300.

Ford Focus 2003 Auto - Insurance increaes every year. - skidpan

Personal example for the last 3 years. All Aviva 2 car policies. Price quoted is for both cars. Max NCB protected on both cars.

2016. 2013 Seat Leon 1.4 TSi 140 PS and 2015 Nissan Note 1.2 DIG-S 98 PS. Paid £420.

August 2017 wife was hit up the rear in the Note. Insurer informed but 3rd party paid direct to repairer.

2017. 2017 Skoda Superb 1.4 TSi 150 PS and 2015 Nissan Note 1.2 DIG-S 98 PS. Paid £370.

2018. 2017 Skoda Superb 1.4 TSi 150 PS and 2017 Skoda Fabia 1.0 TSi 110 PS. Paid £340.

To sum up both our cars have slightly more powerful engines than they had in 2016 and a claim is logged on the system (despite costing the insurers nothing) yet the premium paid has dropped £80 over 3 payments.

I suggest you try a comparison website to see if they quote better figures but before you commit ring the lowest, they usually provide a lower quote direct.

As for your annual VED the only way to reduce that is to swap the car for one with a lower rating. But the money to change will be far greater than any savings made.

Ford Focus 2003 Auto - Insurance increaes every year. - Wee Willie Winkie

I would respectfully suggest you need a new broker. Isn't he supposed to search out the best deal, not leave it to you?

Ford Focus 2003 Auto - Insurance increaes every year. - SLO76
Invariably your insurer will sneak the price up annually so it pays to shop around. I always get other quotes if mine goes up by any significant margin then I call my current insurer to see if they’ll price match which more often than not they do. I’ve been with Direct Line for years now as a result but in the last two my renewal hasn’t gone up by more than a couple of quid so no shopping about has been required. Independent brokers rarely obtain the best deals these days so get online and search.
Ford Focus 2003 Auto - Insurance increaes every year. - Engineer Andy

A couple of additional points to add to the others (which I would second):

1. What is your age? If you're over 70/75 then your current insurer may start to annually load it with a higher premium for being older and statistically more likely to be involved in an 'at fault' accident than if you are in your 50s to 60s, plus that insurer may prefer to insure drivers from a younger age group and so will (amazingly) discourage you from staying with them by again putting the price up each year.

If you regularly do very low mileages, this may also have an effect as you age on the premium, as the insurer may assume (rightly or wrongly) that you lack confidence as all you'd be using it for are short trips to the shops, which may have an effect on ability to get out of trouble. I would check to see how far up the mileage limit you can go before the premium goes up - some years I knew I'd only be doing about 3k miles, but could insurer my car for 5k with no price increase.

2. Do you have anyone on the policy as a named second driver? For similar reasons to the above, this can have a significant effect on the premium. I used to have my Dad on mine (for emergency use if was taken ill and needed someone to drive my car home), but as her turned 70, the premium went up by 5-10% rather than down by a similar amount. I now put my sister (in her 40s) on the policy instead and get the discount.

You might find if your other half has also turned 70/75 (whatever the threshold is for that insurer) that this discount ends and starts being a penalty.

Not much you can do if you both need to be on the policy, just a possible reason why it went up other than the broker not getting the best price - I agree that the screenscraper websites are now far better than the vast majority of brokers to find the cheapest deals.

Ford Focus 2003 Auto - Insurance increaes every year. - John F

I suspect your broker is laughing all the way to the bank. We have a similar but older car, a Focus 2000 Auto estate, our combined age 132, full no claims, and the premium actually went down last year from £179 to £175. I don't know why your VED is so high - ours was £255. I suggest cutting out the middleman and dealing directly with the insurance company. We're with LV=.

I suspect your broker is laughing all the way to the bank. We have a similar but older car, a Focus 2000 Auto estate, our combined age 132, full no claims, and the premium actually went down last year from £179 to £175. I don't know why your VED is so high - ours was £255. I suggest cutting out the middleman and dealing directly with the insurance company. We're with LV=.

My dad's with LV (maybe they are more geared to the older driver) and pays very little, though admitedly he barely does 2k miles pa. He finds them to be good, and has 35 years working in the insurance industry to back that up (he worked for GRE, now part of AXA, which he was with until they jacked the prices up for ex-employees and apparently don't give that great a service). When I get quotes, LV tend to be reasonable on price, just not quite as cheap as Esure, who I've been with for over 15 years now.

Interesting to read all your replies.

To answer the questions, I am early 50's, no named driver, never made a claim. Did 4000 miles last year.

I just checked and to my surprise I was quoted £164 by Hastings direct including personal accident and courtesy car.

I will telephone them tomorrow and see what I will need from my current insurance broker to prove my no clams bonus.

What do I need to ask my current brokers for as NCB proof?

Edited by bluenun on 09/01/2019 at 20:50

Ford Focus 2003 Auto - Insurance increaes every year. - Heidfirst

iirc your renewal notice normally has your NCB entitlement on it.

Ford Focus 2003 Auto - Insurance increaes every year. - Leif
Sometimes they don’t ask for proof, sometimes they get it automatically, and sometimes you have to send proof once you have insurance. I’ve had proof sent in an email, and by post. You don’t have to send it immediately, or,before it starts, there is a grace period of a week or two.

I telephoned Hastings and Churchill to confirm they provided all I needed and they also said proof of my 9 years NCB would be on the renewal documents.

Then telephoned my current broker who originally quoted £349, they went down to £263 but without the courtesy car but that is still £100 more than I can get elsewhere.

He said they cannot send out proof of NCB until the policy ends in a couple of weeks but will then send it via e-mail.

Make sure that the premiums are consistent - some conveniently add large excesses (not just the headline figure) to reduce the premium artificially below that of competitors.

Some have a volutary excess to ADD to the headline compulsary one, which again, they often omit from the bit they show you on the quote page, and is on the second of thrid page of the quotation. Some may also have exclusions that might affect you as well.

Even on the screenscraper websites (Moneysupermarket, Meerkats, etc) they quotes shown may not be equal to your needs, as some, for example, always add voluntary excess amounts even if you stipulate in the data entry part before that you want that set to zero for example, or that the compulsary excess must be below (say) £200.

These firms rely on us being lazy to make their money. Be careful. Reading the entire quote, and the small print, is essential.

Ford Focus 2003 Auto - Insurance increaes every year. - NARU
... I asked what this years cost is and was told £349. I said I would like him to post my new quote so that I had something to go by when looking for an alternative insurer. I do this every year..

I pay only a little more than that for three cars! Each with max no claims (Aviva).