Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - Sarah Skelton
Hi everyone,

I currently drive a Mazda 3 sports nav 2.2 litre diesel.

I love the car, but want something smaller and automatic.

I would have switched to Mazda 2, but can’t get the combination of engine and extras I’m after (I’ve got used to them all now!!!)

So... any ideas on a Mazda 2 sized car that has an automatic transmission that still packs some punch, but also has rear parking camera, heated seats, sat nav, electric rear windows?

I’ve been googling until I’m blue in the face. Can find larger cars with the spec and engine, but all the smaller ones seem to be have engines that do 0-60 in about an hour, or don’t have / let you add things like rear parking camera.

Am I looking for the impossible?
Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - SLO76
Are we talking £2,500 or £25,000? As ever questions like this can’t be answered without a rough budget plus we’ll need to know what sort of usage it’ll see, will it be mostly local or more distance driving and approximately how many miles a year will it do?
Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - Engineer Andy

I can fully understand your annoyance at the relatively low performance of the auto Mazda2 1.5 petrol. Even the 3 in 2.0 auto guise isn't that quick either, though about 2 sec better to 60. If mazda had used the higher output 115PS version of the 1.5 instead of the 90PS variant, then performance would be on par with the 3, probably a bit better. I suspect it's because it's not that popular a car - most sold are seemingly manuals.

Do you absolutely need a diesel engined car? If you do under 20k miles (not much in it for 20k - 25k) a year, then a petrol-engined car is more economical, if you allow for the entire cost of buying and running the car, including inherrant reliability.

I ask, as their already is a ready-made Mazda alternative with the spec you want, namely the CX-3 2.0 Sport, though, if you can get one with it, try and see if you can swap out the low profile 18in tyres and wheels with the more comfortable 16in ones that come on the SE-L Nav. Most people who do this just flog the 18in rims and tyres on Ebay and get new 16in OEM rims from Mazda (plus their choice of tyre) and fitted for about the same (£40 - £50 total) as you would a set of new tyres at the likes of Kwik Fit (who will likely charge more as they are fitting the alloys as well). Some deals via online brokers for about 15% average discounts.

You probably won't lose much if anything on doing so, given the larger diameter wheels and tyres are worth more to start with. Not too much of a negative trade-off when using the new tyres (a bit less grip in non-winter conditions - barely noticeable), but the 16in tyres will be far more comfortable, last longer, cost less to replace (same for the alloys should you ever need to) and give better mpg (about 1-2 - not a lot, but ok). Overall mpg for the auto 2.0 is about 41-43mpg depending on usage and driving style.

Both models come in Auto versions (0-60 in 9.9 sec [quicker than the 3, which has a time of 10.2 sec] as opposed to 9 sec for the manual [slower than the 3 - 8.8/8.9 sec - don't ask why - no-one knows]), but the Sport has the rear parking camera as standard.

There is a new 1.8TD engine available on new models, but I haven't heard anything about it and, given Mazda's less than stellar reliability as regards their diesels since the late 2000s, I'd only ever pick one (assuming the mileage criteria was met) once it had been proven over 3-5 years of use on the market without trouble. This one replaces the smaller 1.5TD in the 2, 3 and CX-3. Looking at the Mazda website, the new 1.8TD looks to be on par performance wise with the 2.0 SA-G petrols (obviously far better on 'official' mpg).

I'm presuming the more powerful 2.2TD from yours will still find its way into the top-spec 3s, 6s and CX-5s for a while, even if its upgraded in some way. I'd, for now, still avoid diesel engined Mazdas, and this is coming from someone who owns a (admitedly petrol) Mazda 3 from new with no reliability problems for nearly 13 years.

I'd personally save your money and get the SE-L Nav, which comes with heated front seats, climate control and sat nav as standard (now compatible with Android Auto/Apple Car Play [only on new cars - 2nd hand ones will need a software upgrade costing £300 - £400]) for about £2k - £3k less. It does come with rear parking sensors.

OR (other than go for a different make of car - I'll leave that to othe Backroomers to give examples)

Wait until next year, when, perhaps, the all-new Mazda3 (nicer looking in hatch format than the current one, no differnt in size) MIGHT (not confirmed either way yet) come with a smooth TC auto on the uprated new-fangled SCCI 'Skyactive-X' petrol engine (which supposedly has 20% more power and mpg than the existing Skyactive-G 2.0 petrol engine) which might do - not sure about the trim level, but I'm sure one will have all what you need, probably two except for the rear camera, similar to the CX-3.

I'd still go for one shod on 16in rims for the better ride quality and cheaper tyre replacement costs though (up to you - go for a long test drive, including on some not so smooth roads to check first).

Best of luck.

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - badbusdriver

Without a budget any advice or suggestions could be meaningless.

Firstly, don't get too hung up on 0-60 times, they really are not that indicative of how sprightly a car actually feels on the road.

If you are looking at a new car, whether bought or on some kind of finance package, then there are plenty of options in the VAG group. The VW Polo, Seat Ibiza, Skoda Fabia and the Audi A1 are all available with fairly powerful turbocharged petrol engines. Problem is that they do not use a traditional automatic gearbox like the Mazda, they use dual clutch automated manual gearbox's. Now i wouldn't be to concerned about recommending one of these if you are getting new and getting rid of before the warranty was up, but i certainly would not recommend buying 2nd hand, especially if you intend to keep the car beyond it's warranty due to the potential for problems.

The only car i can think of which i would actually recommend, assuming you could be looking at cars in the £15k bracket, is the Honda Jazz 1.5 sport. We have a Jazz ourselves, albeit with the 1.3 engine, had it for just over 1.5 years now and are very happy with it. The Jazz has a reputation for being an OAP car, which is a little unfortunate, and obviously that may put you off. But if you can see beyond that, there is much to recommend it. I have no complaints at all over it's performance, despite the 0-60 time (circa 12.5 seconds). It is very reactive when you floor it and pulls hard through its 7 (artificial) ratio's. It is a bit noisy when you are at the upper end of the rev range (accelerating hard or overtaking), which coming from a big turbo diesel engine will be a shock to the system, but it is smooth and lovs to rev (it is a Honda after all!). The 1.5 has an extra 25bhp, and i'd actually be quite keen to try one myself (given how impressed i am with our one), if the opportunity came up, possibly when we are due to change next. In addition to this, it is an incredibly practical car, with rear passenger and boot space closer to a Mazda 3 sized car than a 2, though it is quite narrow (one of the things which appealed to me, living in a narrow street) so 3 adults on the rear seat would be cosy!. As for equipment, ours is the top of the range EX version, which has electric windows all round, rear camera (plus sensors), electric folding mirrors, climate control, cruise control, road sign recognition, etc. The 1.5 comes only in sport trim, but i think this would be at least equal to the EX. Being a Honda, reliability is a given, but it is also extremely safe, performing very well in the Euroncap crash test.

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - expat

""try and see if you can swap out the low profile 18in tyres and wheels with the more comfortable 16in ones that come on the SE-L Nav."

Would smaller wheels affect the speedometer and odometer accuracy?

""try and see if you can swap out the low profile 18in tyres and wheels with the more comfortable 16in ones that come on the SE-L Nav."

Would smaller wheels affect the speedometer and odometer accuracy?

Smaller tyre internal diameter offset by the higher sidewall of the 60 profile 16in tyre. The overall diameter (and thus the rolling circumference) of both the particular 16 and 18in tyres fitted to the Mazda 3 and CX-3 are, within a margin of +/-2% of eachother, sufficient not to have to recalibrate the speedo and odometer.

Of course, downsizing can only work if the Sport model doesn't have uprated, larger brakes that the smaller alloy wheels would have to fit over.

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - gordonbennet

The only other issue with putting alternative size tyres on, is that unless they are recommended for your model (usually all possible sizes are found on the tyre pressure label, or check handbook) then you should inform your insurer, there shouldn't be an issue or extra charge from most but make sure they know.

I agree about moving to the more sensible tyre sizes for all the above reasons, unless you drive like you're trying to push the tyres off the rims on corners, the main thing you will notice is how much more comfortable and quiet the car is, and how much more difficult it is to 'kerb' or otherwise damage your expensive alloys when you've got 60'ish aspect tyres fitted, with 45 or less aspect its a given you will scrape them.

The only other issue with putting alternative size tyres on, is that unless they are recommended for your model (usually all possible sizes are found on the tyre pressure label, or check handbook) then you should inform your insurer, there shouldn't be an issue or extra charge from most but make sure they know.

I agree about moving to the more sensible tyre sizes for all the above reasons, unless you drive like you're trying to push the tyres off the rims on corners, the main thing you will notice is how much more comfortable and quiet the car is, and how much more difficult it is to 'kerb' or otherwise damage your expensive alloys when you've got 60'ish aspect tyres fitted, with 45 or less aspect its a given you will scrape them.

Indeed - I was recommending this change in this circumstance, assuming they fit over the brakes (given Mazda don't sell a 'real sporty car' in the UK any more, the brakes may be the same on the standard models [SE-L and below] as well as the Sport/Sport GT models, whatever the engine, even the higher powered 2.0 165PS petrol) and Mazda is ok, then the insurer should find this acceptable as well. Best if they check with their local dealer first to see if its possible, should they want a Sport model with the revsering camera.

Mine did when I changed out my corroded 16in OEM alloys on my 12yo (at the time) Mazda3 1.6 petrol TS2 to 15in OEMs (almost half the price of a direct replacement) and changed the 205/55 R16 V tyres to 195/65 R15 H (V also ok in the handbook and on the door plate). My car's brakes are the same as on the TS model which was normally shod on 15in rims; the 2.0 (petrol or diesel) models which presumably had bigger brakes and could only be fitted with 16in rims or above.

I agree that the ride quality is improved, and is particularly better when going from the 18in to 16in tyres when driving on poorer road surfaces, which abound these days. Given the high cost of replacements and higher chances of kerbing/pothole damage from the 18in tyres, then, given the chance, I'd go with the 16in ones every time. Less wear on the suspension too.

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - Avant

Come on Sarah - after 24 hours you still haven't told us your budget. Without this any advice is going to be academic.

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - KB.

Looks like Sarah's gone all shy on us.

What a shame that people give freely of their time and past experience, only for the OP to disappear as quickly as they appear.

Hi everyone, so sorry for the delayed response, unfortunately I had an unexpectedly poorly father to look after and haven’t been online.

Thank you all very much for your responses, especially those who replied to the unhelpful 70mph comment for me ha ha!

To answer the questions ... it Doesn’t have to be a diesel... I used to do a lot of motorway driving, but don’t do so much these days, and now tend to hover around 12k miles a year.

Budget has some flexibility, probably looking at around £12-15k, so second hand, but hopefully not more than 2 years old.

Quite the challenge this one, you’re a tough girl to please. My default choices when asked to recommend an automatic supermini would be a current model Honda Jazz CVT or a Mazda 2 or possibly a CX-3 but none of these offers particularly strong performance certainly not in the same league as you were used to.

Other possibilities tend to have either a poor reputation for engine problems (Ford 1.0 Ecoboost) or gearbox issues (VW DSG) but there’s only one car I can think of that fits your need for speed along with plenty of toys. It’s fun to drive, practical for a supermini, reasonable on fuel and easy to sell on again despite the fears of the gearbox. I’m thinking of a VW Polo 1.8 GTi DSG.

It does use the better wet clutch type set up I believe as with all higher powered VAG models which is far less likely to go wrong. I’m not wholeheartedly recommending it as gearbox issues are still too commonplace but if you buy a good approved used car and maintain it with a VW main dealer and abide by any required gearbox fluid changes and you’ll get a fair amount of manufacturer goodwill if it does go wrong. I’d get rid of before it hits 5yrs/60,000 miles though. But it’ll be easy to sell when you do.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181107222...5

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - Metropolis.
Ford Fiesta Vignale with the torque converter automatic should suit your needs although i’m not sure about performance.
Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - argybargy

Having owned a Jazz for 11 months and now being firmly converted to the model, I'd echo BBDs recommendation.

If the newer and more powerful model with the 1.5 engine has an auto variant then you need look no further. Note of caution being, of course, on how important image is to you, because they are still regarded by many as the archetypal Codgermobile.

Lowish insurance, a great reputation for reliability along with an exceedingly practical interior. In my experience the 1.4 engine is pleasingly frugal on the gas, and I wouldn't be surprised if you find that the 1.5 is every bit as impressive, as long as you don't rag it at every opportunity.

I must admit that 1.5 130PS engine is quick, but with Honda's reputation for high-revving cars and their use of the equally high-pitched CVT, I'm not sure if that would be the best combination for a smooth ride if the OP wants a bit of pace and luxury, especially when it's paired with lower profile tyres and the handling isn't on the same level as the Focus, Mazda3 & CX-3 and VAG equivalents.

I’ve had a look at some of the suggestions (thank you all so much!) ... the jazz only comes with the smaller engine in the automatic (same problem I have with the Mazda 2), the CX 3 looks great, but still a bit big, the fiesta a bit small. BUT, the focus looks like a good option. Vignale has the added extras (Might get away with a titanium with convenience pack) and they do a 150ps version of their automatic which (from the technical spec) seems to offer the performance I’m after. Looks like my search might be narrowing (and not impossible after all!) Thank you all very much :-)
I’ve had a look at some of the suggestions (thank you all so much!) ... the jazz only comes with the smaller engine in the automatic (same problem I have with the Mazda 2), the CX 3 looks great, but still a bit big, the fiesta a bit small. BUT, the focus looks like a good option. Vignale has the added extras (Might get away with a titanium with convenience pack) and they do a 150ps version of their automatic which (from the technical spec) seems to offer the performance I’m after. Looks like my search might be narrowing (and not impossible after all!) Thank you all very much :-)

The Jazz does not "only come with the smaller engine in automatic", I would not have suggested a car which didn't exist!. The 1.5 sport auto (CVT) is very much a real thing.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180412547...1

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - Oli rag
Sarah, I’m now confused! You wanted something with similar performance to your Mazda 3, but it MUST be a smaller car. You have now said that a Ford Focus is a good recommendation,surely it’s the same size as your current Mazda 3 - or am I missing something?
Oh good grief you’re right. I’d stupidly assumed the focus was smaller and hadn’t checked properly. Ugh, sorry!
The jazz comes in sport version with the larger engine but no reversing camera, or the EX with the rear camera but not the larger automatic engine. I can’t get both unfortunately :-(
“BUT, the focus looks like a good option. Vignale has the added extras (Might get away with a titanium with convenience pack) ”

The Focus is from the class above and is almost exactly the same size as the Mazda 3 which you described as being too big. If you’re willing to go up to the size above then it opens up more options but I’d hold off on the Focus as the new 3cyl 1.5 Ecoboost engine is very much an unknown quantity and I suspect it’s based on the existing trouble prone 1.0 while the older examples will be using Ford’s notorious Powershift gearbox. I wouldn’t buy unless you intend on getting shot of it before the manufacturers warranty is up.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/12/2018 at 09:56

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - landmarked

Go with the CX3 AWD with 150HP engine and high-spec trim.

Smaller than a 3 (20CM shorter, 3cm narrower), smaller than a Focus, bigger than a Fiesta.

Proper torque converter auto, not as fast as the 3 diesel but feels punchy and enjoyable to drive in the real world.

HJ road test here https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/mazda/mazda-cx-3-2018-road-test/

Go with the CX3 AWD with 150HP engine and high-spec trim.

Smaller than a 3 (20CM shorter, 3cm narrower), smaller than a Focus, bigger than a Fiesta.

Proper torque converter auto, not as fast as the 3 diesel but feels punchy and enjoyable to drive in the real world.

HJ road test here https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/mazda/mazda-cx-3-2018-road-test/

One little problem with that, well, actually two:

• The 2.0 Sport AWD 150PS only comes in manual form;
  • All Sport versions have upgraded ICE in the boot space reserved for the space-saver spare wheel/tyre and doing so reduces the boot space from 350L to 287L.
Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - John F

I have no experience of small powerful autos (although our 1.6 Focus is quite nippy if you floor it) but am wondering why no-one has recommended the Peugeot 2008 110hp with the apparently reliable responsive torque converter Aisin EAT6 auto box? I have yet to drive one but it's top of our armchair list when the Focus dies.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181120259...1

Edited by John F on 17/12/2018 at 14:39

Oops - you're right. It's available with an auto box here in France - albeit at a fairly extortionate price... My bad.

Oops - you're right. It's available with an auto box here in France - albeit at a fairly extortionate price... My bad.

Thanks again everyone, some really great help here.

I’m discounting the jazz because I can’t get the combination of features and engine I want (the sport version has larger engine but no reversing camera, the EX has rear camera but not the larger automatic engine.)

I’m discounting the focus because I’m the idiot that didn’t realise it’s no smaller than my Mazda 3.

I’ll look into the 208 (and check out how big the 308 is) as I haven’t researched that one yet, i’ll also look at the Mazda cx3, I hadn’t even considered that one before (I must stop making assumptions about sizes!!)

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help me with this, your help is very much appreciated :-)

Having looked into it a bit further, i see that the 'sport' trim in the jazz is equivalent to the SE, not the EX as i thought. I'm not trying to push it (honest!), but bear in mind it would be easy enough to have a reversing camera fitted on the Jazz sport and have it linked in to the infotainment screen, a few hundred pounds i'd say.

The Peugeot 208 is not available with anything more than the 110bhp 1.2 turbo as an auto. But the car is light, and with the turbo's torque, it should feel frisky enough. As you plan to look at the Mazda CX-3, you should also look at the Peugeot 2008, which is a direct competitor to the Mazda (a small SUV/crossover), and mechanically identical to the 208.

The Peugeot 208 and 2008 plummet in value and neither are particularly enjoyable to drive in my opinion, though I haven’t yet had a shot of the 1.2 turbo which by all accounts is a very good little engine. That said Peugeot have a poor recent history regarding engine reliability in recent years and combine this with the massive cost cutting pressure they’ve passed onto suppliers after their recent near bankruptcy and I’m left thinking we’re likely to see a further increase in problems.

How about a Suzuki Swift 1.0 Boosterjet auto? Small, well specified, likely to be utterly reliable and a complete hoot to drive.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181120258...6

The Peugeot 208 and 2008 plummet in value and neither are particularly enjoyable to drive in my opinion, though I haven’t yet had a shot of the 1.2 turbo which by all accounts is a very good little engine.

That said Peugeot have a poor recent history regarding engine reliability in recent years and combine this with the massive cost cutting pressure they’ve passed onto suppliers after their recent near bankruptcy and I’m left thinking we’re likely to see a further increase in problems.

HJ loves them though, especially the 1.2 Puretech engines. The 130 PS unit would probably do, if the OP could get on with their slightly 'quirky' dash and perhaps the hangover from reliability woes in the not-so-distant past. Certainly fits the bill re: reasonable performance and a nice smooth reliable TC auto box.

Off how they could afford to buy Vauxhall if they were short of cash. Maybe they've turned a corner. I always have a soft spot for them as I learned to drive in a 205.

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - SteveLee

I don't see much evidence of unreliable petrol PSA engines other than the PRINCE where BMW took a usually unburstable PSA TU engine and stuffed up their part of the programme (the valvetrain/camchain/tensioner.) The PSA bits of that terribly unreliable engine are up to the usual unburstable PSA-petrol standard.

I don't see much evidence of unreliable petrol PSA engines other than the PRINCE where BMW took a usually unburstable PSA TU engine and stuffed up their part of the programme (the valvetrain/camchain/tensioner.) The PSA bits of that terribly unreliable engine are up to the usual unburstable PSA-petrol standard.

Unfortunately this engine is used in the bulk of Peugeot models however with loads of cases of failure and the 1.6 diesels are pretty notorious too. You’re right regarding the rest though especially the old TU serious petrols which were pretty vice free.
Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - Kevin Packham

Hi All,

Can I feed back my experience of 2.5 years with a Mazda CX 3 SEL Nav 2 litre petrol auto?

I did 25,000 miles in this car, with zero problems. We drove all round Europe in it, including Poland, Romania and Italy, and the original tyres were still in excellent shape when I traded it in. In fact, over this time, I never even had to put any air into them. I have just traded up to a CX 5 with effectively the same engine and gearbox, and looking forward enormously to this summer's trip to Spain and Portugal.

Here are the pros and cons of the CX 3: cons first:

- it really is quite small inside (the main reason i changed to the CX 5). Luggage space is limited as the boot is not big either (won't take a set of golf clubs without folding down rear seats). But fine for 2 people on normal trips.

- the engine is quite noisy when pushed, though cruising is reasonably quiet

- the satnav is frankly rubbish (though you can now invest in Apple Carplay to get your Google maps on the screen)

- you're not sitting very high for an SUV, and for some extraordinary reason, the passenger seat cannot be raised or lowered

- some of the trim is a bit tacky

I'm struggling to think of any more cons, so here are the pros:

- absolute delight to drive, and reasonably comfortable. Fabulous auto box (best I've ever had), and it actually feels a lot quicker, at least up to motorway speeds, than the figures suggest

- very economical on a run. On our EU runs, we posted about 47 - 48 mpg. I use premium fuel where possible, and I really think that helps.

- totally reliable and cheap to run

- reasonably well equipped, though you might want to look at the sports Nav models for all the extra goodies

- I think it looks fab in Soul Red

So, suggest you try a test drive.

Hope this helps. We've now had 4 Mazdas, so clearly they do it for us.

The model I test drove a couple of years ago was a Sport version, and I found the ride quality to be ok and better than the Mazda3. The car was averaging (it was under 500 miles though, so not fully run in, and it was being driven in winter) about 40mpg and indeed was very smooth to drive. Stuck to the road like glue.

You said about the lack of boot space - I take it that it wasn't wide enough for a gold bag (with clubs in it) to go wideth-ways across the boot? My gen-1 Mazda3 saloon has nice cut-outs on either side of the larger (length-wise) boot than its hatch brother and so can accomodate a golf bag that way. I presume the CX-3 is narrower and, with its shorter boot length, doesn't have that cut-out area.

Hopefully the new SCCI engine and the 2.5 N/A petrol (and in auto form) will be available in the (new) 3 and above soon; not sure if the SCCI will replace the 2.0 in the CX-3 or just on the Sport/Sport GT model.

They are currently almost great cars - but lacking the zip in the engines and some practicality on the 3, CX-3 and 2 that rival makes have in their models.

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - retgwte

Suzuki Swift Sport is sold in other countries with auto transmission option, and would have been ideal for this requirement. Sadly here they only sell the manual version.

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - Kevin Packham

Well, the CX 3 is certainly nippier than the CX 5, and I can't honestly say I ever felt it lacking for power except when accelerating naughtily over 70mph on motorways (only abroad of course). It actually felt reasonably swift in kickdown between 30 and 60.

I agree it might be worth waiting for the new SCCI engine: hopefully this will make its way into all models eventually.

I had a Mazda 3 hatch before the CX 3, and it certainly had a much larger boot (could take golf clubs, wheelchair etc that the CX 3 cannot without folding rear sets down, and, annoyingly, removing the flimsy rear parcel shelf.

Best small but powerful automatic with extras?? - KB.

^^^ All useful stuff from Kevin P .... thanks.