Land Rover Freelander 2 - intermittent wiper fault. - almac

Hi all, my son has just bought a 2010 Freelander and there is a wiper fault. They stop in the middle of the windscreen when they are set on constant or intermittent, even if you press the washers to clean the screen they sometimes will not work. The car is in the garage that it was bought from but like all good intermittent faults it is being a good boy with them. their diagnostic computer is not showing any faults, so they have a water hose on the screen with the wipers on but as yet they have not stopped. Any ideas, thanks, Alan.

Land Rover Freelander 2 - intermittent wiper fault. - madf

Either a wiring fault- remake electrical contacts with electrical grease after cleaning connectors, or an electric motor failing when heated, a worn wiper linkage - check rubber joints, lubricate metal ones or wiring partially worn through. Or a combination of factors.

Not a job for diagnostics but requires knowledge and intelligence from mechanic..And testing - vehicle electronics skills needed I suspect....

Land Rover Freelander 2 - intermittent wiper fault. - elekie&a/c doctor
When the fault occurs,do the wipers work on fast speed?

Thanks for your feedback, if I may reply to both. They stop working completely and freeze in the middle of the windscreen. The only way to fix them is to turn the engine off and then back on again, not always practical to do on a busy road.They can stop also stop within a few hundred yards of going first thibg in the morning.

Thanks again for your input.

Just to put this thread to bed, the mechanic reckoned that the 'park' sensor in the wiper motor was defective and so the wiper motor was replaced and all under the RAC warranty that came with the Freelander. Well pleased, now all we need is some rain to check it (at some stage). Thanks again, Alan.