2013 Dacia Duster Laureate 4WD - MPG figures are nice but weird. - BeeJay71

Hi all,

This is a strange situation. Up to the last few months, I very seldom used AC, until reading that they should be run for a short time each week or so to maintain the mechanics. So gettiing it checked, it needed re-gassing. Now it's working fine. I've had this Dacia from new 2013 & the average MPG, when fully run in was 41/43 ish. I always do a fuel check on each fill-up. I'm still doing the check, but now using AC permanantly on, expecting the MPG figures to drop. The last 4 fill-ups, after the usual mix of driving, have been, 44, 45, 45 & today 46.13 mpg. Distance covered 373, fuel used 36.76 ltrs = 46.13mpg. Expanations welcome.

Cheers BeeJay

2013 Dacia Duster Laureate 4WD - MPG figures are nice but weird. - diddy1234

If it's the diesel engine, I really wouldnt be suprised if the hot weather helps the engine get up to temperature quicker.

Also it will have a dpf filter which on this engine is a fith injector on the exhaust that can regenerate even at a stand still.

I suspect its regenerating less in the warm weather

Edited by diddy1234 on 08/08/2018 at 22:03

Thanks for that. It is the 1.5 diesel.

2013 Dacia Duster Laureate 4WD - MPG figures are nice but weird. - TheGentlemanThug

I was going to suggest the warm weather as well. My Civic 1.8 seems to be marginally more economical in warm weather, not that I fully understand why.

2013 Dacia Duster Laureate 4WD - MPG figures are nice but weird. - catsdad
Yes its well established that fuel consumption reduces in hot weather. I am not sure of the full reasons but a factor will be that a warm block with warm oil will reach operating temperature more quickly, reducing the amount of running at less efficient engine temperatures and richer mixtures.

If it was possible just to vary two factors (aircon and weather) then OP would actually use more fuel to drive his aircon than leaving it off. It just happens that the weather could have a bigger positive effect.

In reality of course there are many more potential factors that might be at work (reduced traffic, more relaxed driving style and so on). Its all too easy to be fooled into thinking any one thing is affecting consumption in real world conditions.

2013 Dacia Duster Laureate 4WD - MPG figures are nice but weird. - sandy56

I have my A/C on all year round. I have checked the AC if it made any difference to my fuel consummation. It doesnt. (2l diesel auto). The MPG definately improves in the summer and yes the higher temperatures make a difference.

Enjoy the summer, it wont last for much longer!

2013 Dacia Duster Laureate 4WD - MPG figures are nice but weird. - silverback

Another factor is that winter and summer diesel have different formulations to prevent "waxing". The winter formulation may have a lower calorific value so needing more to be burnt for the same power.

According to wikipedia

"The United Kingdom differentiates diesel fuel into Summer and Winter Fuel according to BS EN 590 and BS EN14214 (biodiesel)..... Distribution of winter winter biodiesel in the United Kingdom starts in November and ends in March".

Designation CFPP value time frame Cloud Point
Summer Fuel -5 °C 16.03. - 15.11. 3 °C
Winter Fuel -15 °C 16.11. - 15.03. -5 °C

2013 Dacia Duster Laureate 4WD - MPG figures are nice but weird. - Octane

I have filled the tank of my Astra 1.6 petrol automatic 158 times in 13 years and plotted the data on excel as mpg per month. The average mpg per month shows a smooth curve with the lowest being jan at 40.2 and the highest 43.6 in july. I have used esso 95 and 97 grades on alternate years and each shows the same range of data and averages. I use the aircon whenever required throughout the year but do not have sufficient on/off data to determine its effect on mpg.

Thanks again for your input. Some interesting comments. As previously said, I always check mpg each fill, but as this has only been a recent operation, ie using the AC permanantly, it'll be interesting to see the results when in the winter months..

2013 Dacia Duster Laureate 4WD - MPG figures are nice but weird. - Glenn 42

I've changed the 2011 plate Nissan Micra I had recently, but noticed in winter, it was doing 47 mpg on the drive to work, but in summer even with the air conditioning on, 50 mpg was possible.

2013 Dacia Duster Laureate 4WD - MPG figures are nice but weird. - argybargy

I don't monitor my MPG that closely, so I couldn't say whether our Jazz is more economical in winter than summer. However, it never seems to drop below 50mpg according the dashboard display, and that'll do for me.

The explanation of the difference between winter and summer consumption seems obvious, with, as stated above, the engine running at higher revs for longer in winter before it reaches operating temperature.

I read somewhere recently (might have been on here) that AC should be left on permanently during the summer, employing a "use it or lose it" ethos. No idea whether that's true, but I only use mine when I need it, which is currently "most of the time".