Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - RaineMan

A few weeks ago, I ended up having major heart surgery. Under the guidelines I will not be able to drive for another 4 to 6 weeks until my cardiologist gives me the all clear although to be honest at the moment I would not as I feel far from fit enough. My two cars (daily driver X-type and a classic Vauxhall) are parked up but I was wondering how to keep the cars themselves fit for driving. From previous experience with classics I have found that starting, and preferably driving, them every couple of weeks tends to avoid issues.

I was wondering what forum members think. Would starting them up and warming up thoroughly every two weeks be OK or? Each was parked up with half a tank of petrol so that I could top up with fresh once I start driving again.

Edited by RaineMan on 30/06/2018 at 14:24

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - gordonbennet

This weather i wouldn't give either of them a second thought, except for maybe lettiing them both have a day or so a month with a smart charger to keep the batteries topped up (you could probably simply disconnet the VX as an older simpler design is unlikely to come to any harm), also i'd be inclined to cover the windows if possible as the sun directly on the dash and rear parcel shelf won't do either of them much good....i cover my screen on the Landcruiser anyway inside whilst parked at work as they are prone to the dash cracking in intense sunshine.

Hope the recovery goes well.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - FP

I'm sure everything, including yourself, will be fine.

I recently got my Ford Focus 05 plate going for a friend to use after it had stood for a year - in the garage, with a full tank of petrol. During that time, about six months ago, I started it once, but drove nowhere.

Last week the battery needed a good charge - two days' worth on a "smart" charger.

It started instantly and ran perfectly.

My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery; I know from my own rounds of surgery last year that it gets very frustrating from the point where you feel well enough to drive, but haven't yet been given the go-ahead.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - Alby Back
I regularly used to have to work abroad for up to three months at a time. Never needed to do anything to the car. They always just started and ran when I got back. They'll be fine. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.
Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - IRC

Depending where parked leave handbrake off, block wheels, and leave in gear. Otherwise nothing.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - KenC

In addition to the above provided the car is parked on private property on level (ish) ground consider discretely putting a wheel chock in front of the rear most of each wheels instead of leaving in gear, during the warm months trickle charge the battery once every 3/4 weeks,over inflate the tyres by 3/4 psi, if parked facing the mid day sun omwards put a reflective screen cover on the screen to keep the strong sunlight from damaging the interior

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - John F

I twist off the battery positive lead in my TR7 each time I use it - no spanner, just twist on finger tight when next wanting to use it. Connexion good enough. No need for trickle charging, and no corroding microcurrents. If you are obsessional, roll the car a few inches every week or two to avoid flat spotting tyres.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - skidpan

Every year my Caterham stands from late October to sometime in April (5 months at least) and had done so every years for the last 25 winters. My preparations are simple, clean car, remove battery (I keep it in the house), put 10 psi in tyres and close door. I also try and leave as little petrol in as I can judge then next spring the old dead petrol will be diluted with a good dose of fresh.

In spring give the car a good visual going over and simple spanner check (to make sure the gemlins have not been in the garage), charge the battery (using my old Gusons smart(ish) charger) and refit it, lower tyre pressures and start engine, never had an issue. After the first run I drop the oil whilst the engine is still hot and replace any other fluids etc due.

Some people in the owners club were advocates of starting and running the engine for a few minutes every few weeks. This is bad since it will introduce damp air into the engine and there is no way you will get the engine hot enough to remove the damp.

I acquired an old dehumidifier a few years ago and it has to be said it does keep the polished alloy body looking better, at the cost of the electricity of course. But no polish needed in the spring.

I twist off the battery positive lead in my TR7 each time I use it

As for that piece of advice please don't. For your safety (and that of the car) you should always remove the battery negative first. JohnF claims not to need a spanner (another poor piece of advice) but if you use a spanner and it contacts any part of the earthed vehicle expect a bang and possible issues. I use these

cpc.farnell.com/streetwize/swtt108/snap-on-battery...7

No spanner required and since its just as easy to remove the earth as the positive you can do them in the correct order.

Edited by skidpan on 01/07/2018 at 15:31

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - FP

"I twist off the battery positive lead in my TR7 each time I use it

As for that piece of advice please don't. For your safety (and that of the car) you should always remove the battery negative first."

Perhaps the TR7 is old enough to have positive earth?

"I twist off the battery positive lead in my TR7 each time I use it

As for that piece of advice please don't. For your safety (and that of the car) you should always remove the battery negative first."

Perhaps the TR7 is old enough to have positive earth?

No, it's not that old! And there is no danger of short-circuiting using just my hand.

If I removed only the negative lead I think that micro-current corrosion could possibly continue. Anyway, my method has worked well so far - the only electrical fault I've had to deal with in my 37yrs of ownership (apart from a chafed wire to the number plate lights) is dismantling the failing side/headlight switch to clean its corroded copper terminals. All the relays etc are original - and both headlights still pop up and down!

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - craig-pd130

Some people in the owners club were advocates of starting and running the engine for a few minutes every few weeks. This is bad since it will introduce damp air into the engine and there is no way you will get the engine hot enough to remove the damp.

Oh lord, the number of people who tell me they do this with cars & bikes. When my bike is used less frequently in winter (sometimes 6 - 8 weeks depending on weather), I will not start the engine unless I'm going to do at least a 20-mile ride.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - Andrew-T

Depending where parked leave handbrake off, block wheels, and leave in gear.

I am lucky in that my garage floor is level enough, with a tiny hollow from previous parkings, for me to leave the car out of gear and with the handbrake off. Fifty years ago I developed the habit in Canada of parking in gear, as the handbrake could easily freeze on in cold damp spells - not easily released then .... It also means the handbrake cable remains unstretched for longer.

Edited by Andrew-T on 03/07/2018 at 10:52

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - barney100

I've been there and the main thing is to get yourself fit. The cars can be sorted second.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - madf

Most cars are fine if left unused for weeks..

Stop worrying about things which can be rebuilt/repaired/recharged and recharge yourself:-)

No, it's not that old! And there is no danger of short-circuiting using just my hand.

Correct but if a less well educated person came along and touched the body whilst unbolting the positive terminal without first diconnecting the eartyh terminal there would be a huge bang and flash at best and possible personal and electrical damage if you were unlucky.

This is not the firet time Johnf has given risky advice, Avant removed it last time at my request.

Avant, I suggest you remove Johnf's advice sgain before someone has issues. You would not want the site being sued for the damage caused.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - Chrome

I had cause to use our spare works van today, a Toyota Hi-Ace D4D '55 reg'. I completed the driver checks and noted that it was last used on 1 June (mileage log confirmed this). The van fired up immediately & drove without issue. A month of inactvity had no obvious effects that I could detect.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - gordonbennet

A month of inactvity had no obvious effects that I could detect.

I'd be shocked to hear differently, take this as a compliment but that model Hiace is the cockroach of small commercial world, basically an unbreakable 2WD Hilux with a van body bolted on, one of a mere handful of vehicles that will survive the coming apocalypse.

As for long term standing, there are storage compounds all over the country where vehicles can stand for months (1 to 12 or more) without turning a wheel, some long term compounds might remove a battery terminal, but if it's for the shorter term thats unlikely, mostly the yardies will just hold the perma fixed jump leads on the shuttle bus to the dead battery (if flat), fire her up and away she goes.

I'm not recommending this method of long term parking, as i've seen the underbodies when cars defleeted at the wrong time have been left coated in winter salt left to bake on during a hot summer, not going to lead to a long life, however once it's been through a prep/refurb bay and that nearly new car with correct average mileage for its age (hence the storage period to limit supply and demand) you'll never know that it sat exposed for up to a year.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - Chrome

A month of inactvity had no obvious effects that I could detect.

I'd be shocked to hear differently, take this as a compliment but that model Hiace is the cockroach of small commercial world, basically an unbreakable 2WD Hilux with a van body bolted on, one of a mere handful of vehicles that will survive the coming apocalypse.

Fully agreed, The company keep this vehicle as the servicing costs are low and it remains reliable. Has only covered 133K , This van is perfect for delivering into busy town centres as it is no wider than most cars and a doddle to park. Actually rather good to drive too with a punchy engine and very good slick gearchange, also a comfy fully adjustable drivers seat.

Correct but if a less well educated person came along and touched the body whilst unbolting the positive terminal without first diconnecting the eartyh terminal there would be a huge bang and flash at best and possible personal and electrical damage if you were unlucky.

I have just seen this absurd piece of nonsense emanating from my usual critic. Did you pass any science exams at all at school, skidpan? When I lean across the engine bay to disconnect the positive lead with my left hand, I support myself with my right hand on the metal oil filler cap. It's 12 volts, not 12,000volts!

Edited by John F on 03/07/2018 at 20:22

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - Avant

Would someone with the requisite technical knowledge care to umpire between Skidpan and John F?

I'm no expert, but my instinct is that (a) 4-6 weeks is a short enough time not to need to disconnect anything; and (b) if it turns out to be longer, and you do need to disconnect the battery, you take off the negative first, unless the car is positive earth (how 'classic' is the Vauxhall? It would be interesting to know anyway.)

Would someone with the requisite technical knowledge care to umpire between Skidpan and John F?

I would not claim to offer qualified arbitrating advice between these two gentlemen. All I would say is that if no-one is to risk posting any suggestion which might (just conceivably) be misinterpreted or misapplied by a clumsy amateur (or, to use Skidpan's usual term, idiot) then perhaps in the interest of avoiding possible litigation we should consider closing this part of the forum?

Ultimately, what anyone does to his property of his own volition, having been told that he takes advice at his own risk, is responsible for his actions. Any car owner must know that there are plenty of professionals available (perhaps less able than the advisers on here) who will work for a price and take the responsibility.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - Galaxy

I have some well-travelled friends who are often out of the country on holiday for 4 to 6 weeks at a time.

I've never known them have any problems with either of their cars on their return except for possibly the occasional battery boost being required from an external booster pack.

They don't prepare their cars in any way and they are left outside on their driveway (Garage is full of junk!) They just lock them up and go away.

Please do concentrate on your own health, OP, and don't worry about your car. I do hope you feel better soon.

I'm no expert, but my instinct is that (a) 4-6 weeks is a short enough time not to need to disconnect anything; and (b) if it turns out to be longer, and you do need to disconnect the battery, you take off the negative first, unless the car is positive earth (how 'classic' is the Vauxhall? It would be interesting to know anyway.)

The simple fact is every manual ever printed tells you to disconnect the earth lead first. On an older car that is possibly the positive but every car I have owned manufactured after 1965 has been negative earth thus is reasonable to expect the earth to be negative on virtually every vehicle on the road today. But its a simple check, the Mk1 human eye will quickly identify which it is on any vehicle.

As far as personal injury from grounding the battery positive whilst the negative is connected goes its not that likely unless you are fitted with a pacemaker or possibly have other heart issues. Since this applies to the OP its relevant. However, its very likely you will fry some expensive electronic component and on a modern but older car this will very possibly write it off. Regardless you will have a large bill.

Any - Not Using Car for 6 to 8 Weeks - Gibbo_Wirral

Just make sure your key works in the door locks.

So many people never check they work. The car battery goes flat, they can't unlock the car to open the bonnet.

My two cars (daily driver X-type and a classic Vauxhall) are parked up but I was wondering how to keep the cars themselves fit for driving. From previous experience with classics I have found that starting, and preferably driving, them every couple of weeks tends to avoid issues.

Assuming both cars have no problems, I guess the battery on the newer car will flatten before the classic. I have owned various Pug 205s, and if there are no immobilisers or alarms draining the battery, it will not lose any noticeable charge for weeks or even months.