Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - Wee Willie Winkie

I've been considering ending my current PCP early and have been looking at the Skoda Kodiaq as a possible replacement. I got a very attractive price of £19,000 for a 1.4TSi SE, some £5k off list, made up of a finance contribution, an extra £1k off promotion and a bit off here and there.

Anyhow, today I speak to the dealer. Turns out they have no stock 1.4TSi models and Skoda are no longer making them in order to move to the 1.5TSi. They don't have pricing for them yet so can't proceed. By the time they do have pricing, the finance deal and extra promotion will have ended.

Hey ho.

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - craig-pd130

I would ask another dealer to get you a quote. I've had dealers spin me similar yarns before.

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - Brit_in_Germany

Manufacturers are desparately trying to get rid of their stock cars before the changes in the emissions regulations and so discounting the prices. When the stock is gone, the discounts end.

The next cheapest dealer has one on its way - but an undesirable colour. It's also more expensive and 165 miles away.

Never mind, I should probably keep my Sportage longer anyway.

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - Scott Stevens

Hi Diesel Boy, is that you had enough with your 1.6GDI petrol Kia Sportage?

Is the engine just too sluggish for you?

Have you had it long?

I've still not made my mind up on the Hyundai Tucson equivalent. Been looking at Skoda possibilities now as well (new through broker with PCP contribution, pay off within 14days trick) , although it will push my budget higher than I planned for a decent spec Superb or Karoq by an extra £3.5-4k (used Tucson manual petrol priced at £16.4k with 4k miles and 9 months old). I also checked out the Octavia but got put off by the looks and the fact that every taxi I now seem to notice is an Octavia.

I test drove a used automatic Karoq 1.5 petrol but found it quite flat to drive and delay in the gears kicking in. They didn't have a manual for me to test drive unfortunately.

The sluggishness is one reason, yes. I've owned it for nearly a year now

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - Scott Stevens

Is there anything else you don't like about it, which might be similar on the Tucson?

It's always good to get first hand feedback on cars that maybe fall short of expectation.

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - Avant

It would be interesting to hear from anyone with experience of the VAG petrol 1.5 TSI / TFSI. Several of us on here have been delighted with the 1.4, but if you look at the Reviews section of this site and go to Our Cars, you'll see that our tester hasn't been very happy with the 1.5 in a SEAT Arona. In particular he thinks that the manual gearbox isn't an ideal match for the 1.5.

Quite possibly for the smaller VAG cars the 1.0 three-cylinder engine is more than adequate: Skidpan is impressed so far with it in his wife's Fabia. It doesn't seem to have the problem of poor fuel consumption on faster journeys like the Ford equivalent.

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - skidpan

if you look at the Reviews section of this site and go to Our Cars, you'll see that our tester hasn't been very happy with the 1.5 in a SEAT Arona. In particular he thinks that the manual gearbox isn't an ideal match for the 1.5.

Bit of a long shot but VAG have a few different gear ratio sets for some engines and to make the Arona suitable for towing decent loads I would suspect that they have fitted one with ratios that suit that task, it is a "pretend" SUV after all. We had such a gearbox in a car some years ago, made what was an excellent car a right nightmare especially when pulling away. A C1 might have had less than 1/2 the power but it would leave us for dead, use more tha a wisper of throttle and all you got was wheelspin in 1st, change up to second and it stopped dead, by then the C1 was well up the road.

Another thing, turbo lag. The 1.4 TSi 140 PS Leon we had seemed to have none but the 1.4 TSi 150 PS in the Superb originally did but we never spotted it on the test drive in a 10,000 mile example. Move on just over a year and our Superb seems to have lost the turbo lag totally. Its fair to say that the car is not as sprightly as the Leon but we never expected it to be, the figures (both Skoda and independent) said the same, it is the size of a small country after all.

Perhaps all the test example needed was some miles.

Quite possibly for the smaller VAG cars the 1.0 three-cylinder engine is more than adequate: Skidpan is impressed so far with it in his wife's Fabia.

Would need to try the 1.0 TSi in a bigger car than the Fabia over a decent distance to be convinced about that. Its a perfect match for the Fabia, no doubt about that but put it in a bigger/heavier car and all that could change.

I was thinking about cars the size of the Arona - which is a different shape from the Fabia bit I should think about the same size and weight.

Instinctively, if I were buying an Arona, I'd have gone for the 1.5 - but I might have been wrong.

I was thinking about cars the size of the Arona - which is a different shape from the Fabia bit I should think about the same size and weight.

Instinctively, if I were buying an Arona, I'd have gone for the 1.5 - but I might have been wrong.

The Arona is longer, wider and taller than a Fabia, logic says it must be heavier.

The VW equivalent is the T-Roc and that is a bit bigger, the Karoq is bigger than the T-Roc.

Thus out of the 3 the Arona is the most likely to be OK with the 1.0 TSi but only a drive would confirm this.

Personally I would be very worried about being disapointed long term, experience has shown that not only is a car with too weak an engine too slow it is also too thirsty. Had one in the past which looked great on paper and on the test drive seemed fine but whilst the performance was just OK if you thrashed it to the limit the economy was poor.

Exactly - if the engine is too small for the size of car, you have to give it a lot of right foot to make reasonable progress....which is why I instinctively go for the bigger engine when I can.

But you test-drove a 1.4 Superb....and weren't disappointed, and still aren't. That says a lot for that particular engine.

But that engine is no longer available, unfortunately.

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - Nickdm
It doesn't seem like a good time to be buying a new car at the moment, with all the emissions regs changing and the European manufacturing plants about to start their summer shutdown. I'd wait until October and see how it all plays out; there might be some cracking deals towards year end if sales are restricted over the summer and targets are being missed.

Possibly, yes. It's just that at the moment I have a good amount of equity in the current car. That will obviously be eroded as time goes on...

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - FiestaOwner
It doesn't seem like a good time to be buying a new car at the moment, with all the emissions regs changing and the European manufacturing plants about to start their summer shutdown. I'd wait until October and see how it all plays out; there might be some cracking deals towards year end if sales are restricted over the summer and targets are being missed.

If there are unsold new cars in the UK which don't meet the new emmisions regs, then the dealers will be anxious to sell them before September (when the 68 plate comes out). They will have to be registered on an 18 plate. Chance of getting a very good deal. Keep looking on Autotrader and on the big dealer websites.

New cars will probably have to be even more complex (with more things to go wrong) to meet the new regs. Best to buy a late model that meets the old (current) regs.

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - veloceman
Two things:
- My partner has a Arona FR with the 115bhp 1.0 engine which feels a perfect match never lacking enough power. I have a 150Tsi Leon and whilst the engine is a cracker I feel unnecessary in the arona. Personally I prefer the Arona to drive which feels as spacious as my Leon but more comfortable with less squeaks and rattles.
- Will these new emissions changes coming out in the next few months still be classed as a Euro 6 modification or new Euro 7 catagory?
If so I guess the Euro 6 will be obsolete sooner and liable to future higher taxes.
Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - FiestaOwner
Will these new emissions changes coming out in the next few months still be classed as a Euro 6 modification or new Euro 7 catagory? If so I guess the Euro 6 will be obsolete sooner and liable to future higher taxes.

Impossible to predict what the government will do with vehicle tax. In 2017 they intoduced the £140 a year band for all ICE (Internal Combustion Engines) cars (including hybrids) apart from the really expensive cars (over £40,000, I think). They abolished the cheaper bands for the cleanest ICE cars at this time.

Do new petrol cars need GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filters) to comply with the new regs? After the trouble with DPF's. I would be wary about GPF's (especially early cars fitted with them). It may cost more to maintain these cars than could be saved in tax. GPF's may be ok, but I would rather wait until other people have tried them out first.

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - Brit_in_Germany

I wonder if Dyson could use his double vortex thingy to design a particulate filter where you just have to swap out a canister from time to time.

Skoda Kodiaq - asking for the impossible - IRC

I must have got one of the last 1.4Tsi 150s in my Skoda Superb delivered at the end of may. With 2000 miles done I'm very happy with it. Compared with driving my previous 1.4Tsi 122 Octavia there are a couple of differences.

The gearing seems higher, some corners that were 3rd gear corners in the Octavia need 2nd in the Superb. I feel the Superb is just a fraction slower pulling away at 1200-1400rpm. But a bigger car and maybe the engine will loosen a bit more as the miles go on. Once moving though the Superb flies. The Octavia pulled well to around 3500rpm then flattened off, the Superb really accelerates well past 3000, feels far faster. Obviously it has an extra 28 bhp but it feels like more.

In a post above I said

Another thing, turbo lag. The 1.4 TSi 140 PS Leon we had seemed to have none but the 1.4 TSi 150 PS in the Superb originally did but we never spotted it on the test drive in a 10,000 mile example. Move on just over a year and our Superb seems to have lost the turbo lag totally.

thus if my experience is typical yours will improve with miles.

Another thing to note. The Gear ratios in the 140 and 150 PS Leons were different to those in the 122 PS version. From memory 6th was about the same but 1st through 3rd in the 122 PS version were lower presumably to take account of the lower torque available (especially for those wishing to tow). I would expect Skoda to use exactly the same ratio set in the Octavia and this is probably what you have noted, there is no cure, just drive differently.