Toyota Auris - "Worn" sump plug - Paul Gulliver
I took my Auris in for a service at a Toyota dealer and was told that the sump plug was "worn" and that it would have to be drilled out or the sump replaced. The car is under 7 years old with a mileage of about 32000. That dealer has serviced the car since I bought it 4 years ago.

I can't believe that a simple part like that which only gets unscrewed and screwed back in once a year could be worn and need replacement. I suspect that it has either been cross-threaded or over-tightened and that the garage is covering up for its own negligence.

What do people think about this? Should I insist the dealer cover the cost of fixing it?
Toyota Auris - "Worn" sump plug - RichardW

If only they've serviced it, and it was OK on previous service, then yes I would insist that they repaired it, as it can only have been them that has wrecked it!

Toyota Auris - "Worn" sump plug - gordonbennet

I suspect some clot has overtightened it and/or some clot has tried to undo it with a sub standard 16 sided socket (or even the wrong size), instead of what any self respecting mechanic would use on such bolts, a 6 sided socket which won't slip and chew the head up.

Service manager first call, second call dealer principal, still no joy inform Toyota UK of the poor customer service of their service dept and ask them to get involved.

Toyota Auris - "Worn" sump plug - Chris M

I'd be asking the dealer why they replaced a worn plug at the last service.

Toyota Auris - "Worn" sump plug - Peter.N.

I had the problem of a stripped thread on one on my 406s, the solution I found was to wrap some PTFE tape round it before replacing, did that every subsequent oil change and had no problems for 50k+ miles.

Toyota Auris - "Worn" sump plug - John F

It cannot possibly be 'worn' as there are no moving parts to 'wear'. Even if you screwed it in and out a thousand times the oiled thread would be scarcely worn. If it is unserviceable, it is broken. A cack-handed mechanic must have broken it. ( Yet another good reason to do one's own oil changes!).

I think the garage is clearly trying to take you for a fool. Yes, you should insist they fix it at their expense. If they refuse, I would consider towing the car back home for an independent inspection (e.g.AA), and having it fixed by someone else and suing them via the small claims court for the cost (and the cost of a hire car) if they refuse to pay. Do let us know the outcome, please.

Toyota Auris - "Worn" sump plug - skidpan

A new sump plug and washer is under a fiver. If you for one moment consider the advice above

you should insist they fix it at their expense. If they refuse, I would consider towing the car back home for an independent inspection (e.g.AA), and having it fixed by someone else and suing them via the small claims court for the cost (and the cost of a hire car) if they refuse to pay.

think again. The cost would be many times greater than simply buying a new plug and either fitting it yourself or letting them fit it.

Then find yourself another garage.

Toyota Auris - "Worn" sump plug - galileo

A new sump plug and washer is under a fiver. If you for one moment consider the advice above

you should insist they fix it at their expense. If they refuse, I would consider towing the car back home for an independent inspection (e.g.AA), and having it fixed by someone else and suing them via the small claims court for the cost (and the cost of a hire car) if they refuse to pay.

think again. The cost would be many times greater than simply buying a new plug and either fitting it yourself or letting them fit it.

Then find yourself another garage.

That is good advice provided the garage has not stripped the sump thread (in which case I'd go with John F's suggestion above)

Toyota Auris - "Worn" sump plug - Big John

I had this happen years ago on a Passat - Had a Helicoil fitted , pretty cheap and easily sorted...