Peugeot 3008 - Used car fault after purchase - baroli

Hi all,

I need some advice if possible. 3 1/2 months ago i purchased a 2010 Peugeot 3008 from a used car dealership. It came with a 3 month warranty.

On Tuesday night it broke down and the display was showing "Gearbox error". I had it towed to the garage i purchased it from and although they haven't given me an estimate on the repair cost, it's obvious from emails and phone calls that they intend to charge me normal parts / labour costs. I've done a bit of research and discovered that the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 states that if the purchase of a car is over 30 days but less than 6 months ago then you have the right to demand the car be fixed at no cost because the law implies that the fault was probably there when you purchased it unless the garage can prove otherwise.

However, the garage have gone from being lovely and approachable when i purchased the car to very stroppy and kinda rude. I'm certain that if i say to them "The car is less then 6 months old so i want you to fix it for free" then they'll probably tell me to **** off and have it towed back to my house.

So what can i / should i do ?

Peugeot 3008 - Used car fault after purchase - Galaxy

You now have the right to return the car within 6 months if a major fault occurs as the car is deemed not fit for purpose. it does have to be a major fault, though, not something like the aircon not working! I would think a failed gearbox would qualify.

You've found out that, after you've purchased a vehicle, when you return to the dealership afterwards it's a totally different place.

Peugeot 3008 - Used car fault after purchase - SLO76
What mileage is on it? How much did it cost? and has it a full main dealer service record? If it’s a six figure mileage cheapy then the law will factor this in.

It’s worth speaking to your lawyer here to have an official sounding letter drafted stating where the garage stands legally. The thought of litigation is often enough and the cost of a lawyers letter is acceptable in the face of the cost of a major gearbox repair. If cost is a huge issue then get trading standards involved, they should take up your case though they’re not always particularly helpful.

Further to this buying an eight year old French car with a complex automated manual gearbox and I’m assuming it has the rather notorious 1.6 HDI diesel motor is not wise at all. This is a costly nightmare waiting to happen and is not something you should buy on a limited budget. Keep it simple, stick with a manual gearbox or a conventional torque converter box and stick with petrol, preferably Japanese.

Even if they come good here it’s only a matter of time before this bites you again. Get shot of it.
Peugeot 3008 - Used car fault after purchase - Andrew-T

I'm sure the attitude of the dealership is a standard Plan-A when one of their sales comes back faulty just after the warranty expires. Hopefully many buyers will leave with their tail between their legs, and the problem will have gone away. However you need to be sure that the gearbox has actually failed, rather than simply a spurious message from the electronics.

Peugeot 3008 - Used car fault after purchase - barney100

Perhaps an indepedent engineers report would be a good idea to assess the gearbox or if you are in the AA/RAC they may be able to help. Citizen's advice can get you legal advice and it's worth a call but you need your facts 100% right.

Peugeot 3008 - Used car fault after purchase - Gibbo_Wirral

I agree with Barney. Get a second opinion. Look online at Peugeotforums to see if this is a common problem

(IIRC it is - I typed "3008 ge" into Google on chrome and the autosearch immediately filled in with "3008 gearbox problems")

and take it from there once you know what's wrong, what it will cost to fix, and the consumer rights you have.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 04/05/2018 at 13:20