UK Photo Licence valid in Canada ? - autumnboy

Having travelled and hired cars in BC and Alberta, Canada using my standard UK Licence either the paper version or recently the Photo card without any issues.

Last year as read somewhere a Intl Driving Permit would be required. Then after spending some 3 days travelling around to find a Post Office capable of issuing a Permit, despite the Websites say that serveral Post Offices listed can do the Permits 99% can't.

Travelled 2017 with a Permit to Alberta, collecting the car from Avis. The assitance was not interested with the Permit just my UK Licence after all the run around and expences.

Anyone know if this is still the swing of things with Permits and Licences or have rules changed, going again shortly.

Here it says I don't need one: www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/canada/safety-and...y

Here it says I do: www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/...l

?????

Edited by autumnboy on 13/04/2018 at 13:36

UK Photo Licence valid in Canada ? - Graham567

I have hired cars in the US for the past 7 years,from different States and no-one has questioned my original pink driving license(no photo) so if Canada is similar then i wouldn't worry about it.

In fact most hire car websites state that you need a valid driving license and photo id.

UK Photo Licence valid in Canada ? - Smileyman

back in 1987 I had my house broken into just 7 days before I visited Canada ... passport, driving licence, airtickets were stolen ... but not the IDP - which I used successfully to hire cars in both Toronto and Montreal

UK Photo Licence valid in Canada ? - Bromptonaut

Here it says I don't need one: www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/canada/safety-and...y

Here it says I do: www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/...l

?????

The Canadian information seems to be directed to migrants rather than tourists.

It might make a difference.

UK Photo Licence valid in Canada ? - veloceman
I hired a car last year for two weeks in Toronto just using my photo card driving licence.