Clarke 4000 Jumpstart (part number 6240030) - Brill {P}

Clarke Jumpstart 4000, a few months old, only used once to start a car, and once to inflte a matress via the 12V socket; always kept on trickle charge, kept in the house. Anyone have one who can answer this for me please?

Two queries:

1. It is giving out a permanent alarm sound, nothing I can do to stop it. I understand the alarm usually sounds if you get the pos/neg the wrong way when attached to a car battery, but it isn't attached to anything. Turning the on/off switch does nothing.

2. It also has a 12v (cigarette lighter type) socket, which is working whether the unit is switched on or off. Is this correct, or is it highlighting a problem linked to the main problem above?

The unit is fully charged.

Any help woul be great, I'm thinking the unit has failed in some way.

Thanks.

Clarke 4000 Jumpstart (part number 6240030) - skidpan

Presuming this is not a wind up there is only one answer and I cannot understand why you have not thought of it.

Take it back to the supplier. There is a warranty on it.

Clarke 4000 Jumpstart (part number 6240030) - gordonbennet

I have one that is now probably 5 years old, never heard that alarm you refer to, i don't know if the cig lighter is permanently live, but it hasn't been left on permanent charge as you have with yours, i charge or condtion it via my smart charger every few weeks.

Clarke 4000 Jumpstart (part number 6240030) - Bolt

Have you read the instructions, they say the 12volt socket gives up to 13.5 volt according to charge, and as far as I know is always on- and the alarm goes off if the battery is low, also if you drained the battery it may have damaged it.

apart from that take it back to supplier if you think its faulty!

OK thanks, not so easy to return a lump like that when you bought it online but I guess I will have to. I don't know why you (further up) would assume this was a 'windup', we're not all know-it-alls like you, otherwise there would be no need for a forum like this, for stupid people like me!

Clarke 4000 Jumpstart (part number 6240030) - skidpan

I don't know why you (further up) would assume this was a 'windup', we're not all know-it-alls like you, otherwise there would be no need for a forum like this, for stupid people like me!

Simply because you do not need to be a know it all to know that if a product becomes faulty soon after purchase you take it back. I have, like most other people, been aware of this for many years probably since I was a very young child.

Also be aware that if you start tampering with it the warranty will be invalid.

I was asking in case someone else had experienced a similar problem BEFORE I looked into returning the heavy lump which I know I may have to do thank you very much. I'm not interested in an argument with you, but I do think your sarcasm doesn't exactly encourge people to post on here it they get that kind of reaction.

Clarke 4000 Jumpstart (part number 6240030) - KJP 123

I do think that it sounds faulty and maybe the OP should have realised this and also contacted Clarke’s to see if he was operating it correctly.

But it’s fair to try to ascertain if it is faulty before returning it as if it isn’t he will be liable for 2 sets of hefty transport costs. So I do think skidpan is being a bit harsh.

Clarke 4000 Jumpstart (part number 6240030) - Bolt

OK thanks, not so easy to return a lump like that when you bought it online but I guess I will have to. I don't know why you (further up) would assume this was a 'windup', we're not all know-it-alls like you, otherwise there would be no need for a forum like this, for stupid people like me!

Its possible if its faulty the company may get it picked up/swapped for another new one, some are good like that, its worth a try asking

as a matter of interest have you thought of trying a li ion booster battery, some are small enough to fit in pocket but do the same job as a standard battery charger/booster

Just a thought, good luck

Clarke 4000 Jumpstart (part number 6240030) - Avant

As moderator I can see when people joined us, and it looks as if you were a founder member, Brill. Welcome back, and please don't be discouraged from posting, as the great majority of us try to be helpful.

Living in rural Dorset, we buy a lot of things online. So far we've been lucky but it can indeed be a hassle to return something when it isn't just a simple matter of going back to the shop where you bought it.

Your best bet may be to contact Clarke - one would hope that a reputable company like that will have given a phone no and/or Email address in the instruction manual. Or failing that, Google may be your friend.

Clarke 4000 Jumpstart (part number 6240030) - Chris M

Is Clarke a brand name for Machine Mart?

I snapped my 3/8" Clarke breaker bar last year. TBH I was rather abusing it undoing a crankshaft bolt. I'm not too far from a Machine Mart branch, so I took it back. Didn't have the receipt, but they found out when I purchased it from my name and address. It didn't matter as it had a lifetime guarantee. Replaced without question.

Not sure if Clarke electrical products will have a lifetime guarantee, but give them a call. My guess is if you explain the 'fault' and they agree it shouldn't be like that, they will sort it for you.

Edited by Chris M on 12/03/2018 at 18:04

Thanks for the replies, have spoken to Clarke’s who are going to collect the unit and see if they can work out what the problem is. Good service so far.
Cheers, also from rural Dorset!