Fines for parking badly - RT

Last month I was in Looe in Cornwall. Parked in coucil run pay and display. The notice board next where payment was made clearly stated a fine would be imposed if cars were not parked wholly in a marked space. I think the fine was £100. Not a problem for us as I always make sure of parking correctly. Returning to the car I noticed a car parked badly, with an enforcement officer taking a photo and sticking a fine on the windscreen.

If only this procedure was carried out in all car parks across the country.

Only if they make parking spaces big enough for modern cars.

Fines for parking badly - barney100

I agree, I often come back to my parked car and have a hard job getting in without clunking doors. Our local indoor car park has excellent size spaces but others are far too small for modern cars.

Fines for parking badly - argybargy

Also agree. My wife currently has a blue badge, which is a godsend because in the larger disabled spaces a) there's room for her to get in and out of the car, and b) less likelihood of some clumsy oaf hitting our car with their door whilst getting in or out.

The inadequate size of car parking spaces is just another aspect of the treatment of motorists as cash cows who are unworthy of any consideration except "how many of these mugs can we shoehorn into as tiny a space as possible".

Fines for parking badly - Engineer Andy

Also agree. My wife currently has a blue badge, which is a godsend because in the larger disabled spaces a) there's room for her to get in and out of the car, and b) less likelihood of some clumsy oaf hitting our car with their door whilst getting in or out.

The inadequate size of car parking spaces is just another aspect of the treatment of motorists as cash cows who are unworthy of any consideration except "how many of these mugs can we shoehorn into as tiny a space as possible".

You are lucky that the same oafs don't just use the disabled spaces because they are bigger (and mostly far neare to the shop or other building) so they don't have to bother parking properly.

Saying that, yesterday I came across a man at my local Tesco, displaying a blue badge in his VERY BADLY parked - wait for it - BMW i8 - managing qutie easily to clamber out of it (low slung and gull-wing doors etc) and strolling to the shop. Rather makes a mockery of the blue badge scheme (why would someone with limited mobility want to own a car like that?), especially for those people who actually need them.

Fines for parking badly - argybargy

You're lucky that the same oafs don't just use the disabled spaces because they are bigger (and mostly far neare to the shop or other building) so they don't have to bother parking properly.

Saying that, yesterday I came across a man at my local Tesco, displaying a blue badge in his VERY BADLY parked - wait for it - BMW i8 - managing qutie easily to clamber out of it (low slung and gull-wing doors etc) and strolling to the shop. Rather makes a mockery of the blue badge scheme (why would someone with limited mobility want to own a car like that?), especially for those people who actually need them.

Must admit that since she was given her badge, we've both become adept at spotting such oafs. You develop a talent for glancing surreptitiously onto the dashboards of those who use disabled spaces, just in case there's no badge on display and a requirement to shake one's head in disapproval, or if feeling REALLY brave, have a word.

Not so many of those oafs to be seen in our local council car parks, but loads outside the supermarkets, where some folks are presumably wearing a device that blows their legs off if they take more then 20 steps after getting out of their cars. Its the only possible explanation for what on the surface looks like sheer bone idleness.

Edited by argybargy on 06/03/2018 at 13:10

Fines for parking badly - skidpan

Rather makes a mockery of the blue badge scheme (why would someone with limited mobility want to own a car like that?), especially for those people who actually need them.

Must admit that since she was given her badge, we've both become adept at spotting such oafs. You develop a talent for glancing surreptitiously onto the dashboards of those who use disabled spaces, just in case there's no badge on display and a requirement to shake one's head in disapproval, or if feeling REALLY brave, have a word.

Not so many of those oafs to be seen in our local council car parks, but loads outside the supermarkets, where some folks are presumably wearing a device that blows their legs off if they take more then 20 steps after getting out of their cars. Its the only possible explanation for what on the surface looks like sheer bone idleness.

When I suggested recently that the Blue Badge scheme was abused by either badge holders whose only disability was idleness or possibly relatives using the car many posters suggested that I was incorrect.

I realised some time ago that there is no point in having a word. After parking the driver will run away from the car at world record speed to either pay their idiot tax, buy fags or place/collect their bets.

I've seen, including seeing them get involved in 'heated discussions' with fellow shoppers, perfectly able-bodded 'people' (often middle aged or younger) whose excuse for parking in the disabled bays was that they were 'shopping for their disabled mum or suchlike', only mum is not to be seen.

How stupid do they think we are. They are always the worst parkers as well, as skidpan says, most likely popping in for a packet of fags, pizza and a six pack for later in the evening. The supermarket staff, even the security guards, don't want to know when people complain. Rather pointless having the designated bays if that's the case, or at least be realistic - call them 'lazy b******' bays, given how many of that sort of oaf use them.

Similarly with the parent and child bays - so often I see no kids with the parent(s), yet no-one challeneges them for parking there, similarly for bad parking. I've even seen Police cars badly parked whilst they pop in for a quick snack, or the old chestnut, parking a squad car half on the pavement, on a double yellow or red route outside the cop shop because they are only popping in for a few minutes/lunch.

So many people in society just care about themselves these days - very sad.

Fines for parking badly - Andrew-T

How stupid do they think we are.

This is just the same attitude Russians (e.g.Putin) have always taken. Do whatever you want to do, regardless, then lie through your teeth saying black is white until the cows come home. There will always be some to whom society's norms just don't apply - except as recipients of its advantages of course.

How stupid do they think we are.

This is just the same attitude Russians (e.g.Putin) have always taken. Do whatever you want to do, regardless, then lie through your teeth saying black is white until the cows come home. There will always be some to whom society's norms just don't apply - except as recipients of its advantages of course.

Unfortunately today's society (and especially people in positions of authority) are very good at enabling such people (not to comment off-topic about Russia, even if very indirectly related) when those standing up to these idiots get in trouble for doing so, even when doing so politely and 100% factually.

It doesn't help most people prefer not to come to the aid of those on the side of right (correct) because its either too much trouble or they are too afraid of the smallest of consequences, yet easily join the mob on the other side, often because they themselves have done wrong in the same way and would rather not be seen as a hypocrite (often as it could be them breaking the rules the next day).

My parent local Tesco has spaces (recently re-laid and marked out) in its car park that are so small that their 08 reg Fiesta barely fits the spaces, especially front to back. The number of times they've seen minor bumps because of this and the spaces being too close together (narrow roads) is amazing, yet no-one does anything (aparently complaining to the Customer Services staff or Store manager is a waste of time generally).

At least some shops do a better job. A Morrisions near me (it used to be a Safeway many moons ago) has far bigger spaces throughout the car park, especially length-wise. A shame they aren't herring-boned in design like across the Pond.

Ridiculous.

Fines for parking badly - Mr Carrot Cake

How do they know someone else didnt park badly first, forcing others to park outwith their box as well?

Larry David in 'Curb your enthusiasm' has several scenes berating bad parking...calls the drivers 'pig parkers' really is hilarious..epecially the French guy he has a go at.

Fines for parking badly - SLO76
My latest pet hate (on account of the new job) is parking in bus stops. It’s rife around here and I see Police drive past and ignore it daily. Blocks the whole road when a bus has to stop in the middle of it to pick up and drop off so those who ignorantly do this are delaying more than just the bus driver. No doubt they’d be the first one sat behind on their horn after 10 seconds.
Fines for parking badly - sandy56

One of my pet hates is the many people, including truck drivers, who thinks it is OK to park on pavements. I dont understand why the local authorities,or the Police, dont get off their backside and do something about it. A few drivers fined would make an impact.

One of my pet hates is the many people, including truck drivers, who thinks it is OK to park on pavements. I dont understand why the local authorities,or the Police, dont get off their backside and do something about it. A few drivers fined would make an impact.

A few years ago the police put notices through our letter boxes informing us that any cars parked partially on the pavement would be clamped and later towed away. In truth the cars partially blocking the pavement did cause issues but when cars were parked entirely on the street it became impassable especially to emergency service vehicles. A couple of cars were towed but normal parking on pavement resumed almost immediately.

The sad fact is most houses had off street parking for at least one car, we could get 6 in total, one in the garage, one in the carport, one behind the car port and three on the drive. But most were/are too bone idle to go to the trouble of turning the steering wheel.

Last month I was in Looe in Cornwall. Parked in coucil run pay and display. The notice board next where payment was made clearly stated a fine would be imposed if cars were not parked wholly in a marked space.

Some years ago wife went shopping in Wakefield. Only space in the car park she could find had just been vacated and the line marking went strait down the centre of it. She thought no more about it until she got back and found a ticket on the screen for not parking in a marked space, many cars either way had tickets also. My guess was some numpty had parked badly and every car after had followed like a lemming doing the same. She appealed and ticket was cancelled. Since she had parked in a space and bought a ticket it would have been very unfair not to have been.

At the time I applied the conspiracy theory. Did an employee of the council park the first car badly so that avery subsequent car could be fined. If 50% appealed and 50% paid up they would be nicely in proffit for the day.

Fines for parking badly - oldroverboy.

Last night, (and several times recently) one of our neighbours decided that as he couldn't park where he usually does (which is on a white line by a dropped kerb in front of a neighbours gate where they enter to go to the back of their property, but which gives onto our little close... (she is small and timid so does not confront him, buy complains to everyone else)

So he double parked next to his car and fully revrsed up to the boundary fence so that I could not get in and out. I often have to park in the street as others leave no room to get out or in by dumping their cars willy-nilly...

I asked him to move and got a load of abuse, but he has a garage (empty) 30 metres away that is unused. I have now said that i will get the council parking services involved, and that I would inform his employer (it is a signwritten works van) too, and got more abuse, with an offer to go out onto the street to repeat what i said. (declined)...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 07/03/2018 at 06:19

In which case it is threatening behaviour, if you have a witness to the offer to come out into the street the bloke is in serious trouble.

In which case it is threatening behaviour, if you have a witness to the offer to come out into the street the bloke is in serious trouble.

I do, sadly for the law, it is my wife...BUT... van was moved and all quiet today except for shouting between themselves which, again sadly we can hear through the walls.So far in 2 and a bit years, loud parties, infrequently going on till late, but not said much as not often.. Had to build a 6' trellis fence at the front to stop the footballs wrecking swmbo's flower garden, had to have words about the football impressions left on my car...kids throwing uneaten sandwiches and sweetwrappers over the fence.. had to have words about the other next door neighbours metallic up and over garage door being used as a goalmouth, (boom boom!) now enough is enough,He was also silly enough to brag that he was fiddling the diesel for his previous employer,We are not going to rush into things, if it calms will be ok, but have another neighbour who hears the language too and who is a policewoman.

I do, sadly for the law, it is my wife...BUT... van was moved and all quiet today except for shouting between themselves which, again sadly we can hear through the walls.So far in 2 and a bit years, loud parties, infrequently going on till late, but not said much as not often.. Had to build a 6' trellis fence at the front to stop the footballs wrecking swmbo's flower garden, had to have words about the football impressions left on my car...kids throwing uneaten sandwiches and sweetwrappers over the fence.. had to have words about the other next door neighbours metallic up and over garage door being used as a goalmouth, (boom boom!) now enough is enough,He was also silly enough to brag that he was fiddling the diesel for his previous employer,We are not going to rush into things, if it calms will be ok, but have another neighbour who hears the language too and who is a policewoman.

Somehow I doubt if the policewoman will get involved directly - there's a similar (though not so bad for the 'bad neighbour' issue as you're experiencing) issue on the development where I live with certain 'problem' households, parking and noise, and yet a fellow residents association director who is a police officer won't get involved (it doesn't help that we live on a non-adopted private road) because he doesn't want locals to know he's a copper (he works elsehwere in the county) - whether that's because he faers presonal retribution from such people or just everyone nearby going to him about problems with neighbours etc rather than the managing agent and/or the council, I don't know.

Needless to say, he doesn't like 'making waves' unless he's personally affected to a VERY high degree. You may find yours just 'puts up with it' or calls in a colleague 'anonymously' to 'have a word', which I suspect your neighbours may blame you for. As I have had to do, you need to be very careful in how you get involved with problem neighbours, as these idits often lie and complain to the police themselves and get genuinely good people who are fed up to the back teeth in trouble.

One neighbour of mine who I polietly asked to move their 2nd car off the development for parking in a visitor only space (we only have a few of those and rules to prohibit residents from doing so) so he could avoid being ticketed (we use a firm as it can get really bad, as we're near the local station) apparently took offence at this and his girlfriend said she would 'get the police involved' as I 'threatened him' and he was 'in tears' when he got home. All downright lies, which, luckily for me, I proved as I had used my mobile phone to record the previous conversation.

A rather sad endictment of today's society, where doing what's moral/ethical/right is penalised and people who break the rules (that are there for the benefit of all) are enabled and pandered to for various 'virtue-signalling' reasons.

The term for it is 'pig parking', i.e being the first there, park over the lines and force others to do the same.

Fines for parking badly - drivingdave

But do you park the road the right way at night?

www.thesun.co.uk/motors/4728091/can-you-spot-the-p.../

Fines for parking badly - Bolt

But do you park the road the right way at night?

www.thesun.co.uk/motors/4728091/can-you-spot-the-p.../

They would have a field day in my area if they fined every driver for parking the wrong way round, most people do it without thinking, like a lot of drivers who do not think before they do something stupid/on purpose?

Fines for parking badly - Snakey

Although I agree in principle I could never bring myself to agree with a traffic warden about anything.

As mentioned in Viz, its a ****'s job and only a **** would want to do it.

Please note, tongue is currently inserted into cheek. Probably.

Upshot of my own probelms, (being blocked in on driveway, with dropped kerb and white lines..

"Council can only send someone in office hours if someone available"

"Photographic evidence not acceptable"

"Do not have the resources"

Yet, the zone warden is busy dishing out tickets to people who leave their bins out...

"Police do not have the resources"

WE ARE MOVING... ( for other reasons) we only have 1 car which fits on driveway... imagine if the next occupants have 2 or 3.. let the problem neighbours enjoy that...

Upshot of my own probelms, (being blocked in on driveway, with dropped kerb and white lines..

"Council can only send someone in office hours if someone available"

"Photographic evidence not acceptable"

"Do not have the resources"

Yet, the zone warden is busy dishing out tickets to people who leave their bins out...

"Police do not have the resources"

WE ARE MOVING... ( for other reasons) we only have 1 car which fits on driveway... imagine if the next occupants have 2 or 3.. let the problem neighbours enjoy that...

The Police have the reources, but are (amongst other things) spending it on going after people on the internet who 'tell jokes' or who 'are offensive' (to someone not directly) and the (very expensive) politically-motivated, virtue-signalling (to the Hard Left pressure groups) witchunts against certain politicians and others on the say so of known (IMO) fantasists and liars.

You have to wonder what actual benefit we get out of paying most of our taxes, locally and nationally these days.

Fines for parking badly - Bromptonaut

The Police have the reources, but are (amongst other things) spending it on going after people on the internet who 'tell jokes' or who 'are offensive' (to someone not directly) and the (very expensive) politically-motivated, virtue-signalling (to the Hard Left pressure groups) witchunts against certain politicians and others on the say so of known (IMO) fantasists and liars.

You have to wonder what actual benefit we get out of paying most of our taxes, locally and nationally these days.

You live in a fantasy world.

Fines for parking badly - focussed

I'm very sad to be reminded about the UK I left 9 years ago. All of the above type of aggravation was going on then, but seems to be getting worse now.

It was one of the many reasons we decided to leave, and get some space and peace and quiet around us.

I'm very sad to be reminded about the UK I left 9 years ago. All of the above type of aggravation was going on then, but seems to be getting worse now.

It was one of the many reasons we decided to leave, and get some space and peace and quiet around us.

Sometimes, I think about the "mistake" I made when I returned to the UK from Switzerland...

Had I stayed, 2 private pensions and a swiss state pension would all be mine.. as it it, musn't grumble...

Fines for parking badly - Smileyman

I always reverse in to park and drive out forwards ... ever since soon after passing the test a child ran behind my car as I was backing out of a bay .. being a child reversing lights meant nothing to them, being a cold wet dark evening with limited rear view visability I was doing the best I could in the circumstance. It was some years ago, I was 17 or 18 at the time, very upsetting incident indeed.

(Aso only buy car with rear window wiper as it makes driving in the wet so much safer)

People who park badly across two bays / outside marked bays / in disabled bay without displaying a badge deserve the fine awarded, it's a gift to the parking attendant, easy money on a silver platter.

Edited by Smileyman on 24/03/2018 at 15:39