Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - fisjon

Hi
I have been informed by DVSA that Hyundai have recognised a problem following a number of complaints of locking/sticking rear brakes.
Hyundai have developed a new compound for the brake pads and these are now ready for supply into service.
If you have had a problem with your rear brakes notify your dealer and ask for the new compound pads to be fitted on the warranty.
I have had new pads, discs and calipers replaced on the warranty at year 3. Normally brakes are only covered up to 2 years or 20,000 miles.
Don't take no for an answer. The old pads ruin the discs, the discs heat up and affect the calipers, accept no less than compete renewal.
If you have already paid for new rear brakes, get your money back and replacement.
If you have any trouble with your dealer contact Shanice Mitchell at Executive.team@hyundai.co.uk

Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - Avant

Thanks for letting us know Fisjon - it seems to have been an unnecessarilty long battle for you. I do hope your own Hyundai is OK now.

Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - galileo

I suspect that handbrakes using pads on a disc are not so satisfactory as the 'drum in disc' type.

(Still on original discs on my 2009, 59,000 mile i30. Had new pads all round and fluid change at 47,000 miles, handbrake is on drums within disc, original linings, works well.)

Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - RT

I suspect that handbrakes using pads on a disc are not so satisfactory as the 'drum in disc' type.

(Still on original discs on my 2009, 59,000 mile i30. Had new pads all round and fluid change at 47,000 miles, handbrake is on drums within disc, original linings, works well.)

On a Hyundai it's swings and roundabouts - some models have parking brake shoes in a hub but, like other brands, the drum corrodes as it's never cleaned during rotation and the bonded lining can separate from the shoe itself.

Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - daveyK_UK

dissapointing Hyundai took so long to act

Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - Auristocrat

Our 2015 i20 has had 4 instances with the rear brakes sticking since Christmas. Car is garaged, left in reverse gear with the handbrake off. Last time the brakes stuck (26/01/18), it took two attempts to move off before the brakes released with a bang. Had it into the local dealer over two nights/days last week, but no fault found. Advised to monitor situation.

Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - fisjon

Hi Auristocrat,

This is exactly the same experience that i have had on my i10.

I would suggest that you contact Shanice Mitchell at Executive.team@hyundai.co.uk
She will help you with this problem. I would suggest that you let her know that you are not happy. If your rear brakes have been overheating then ask for the compete replacement of the brake pads, discs and calipers in order to eliminate any further problems. Brakes are normally warranted for 2 years or 20.000 miles however as Hyundai have accepted that there was a problem with the compound of the pads they should make an exception.

Let us know how you get on.

Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - blindspot

well hello. I have the sticky brakes, have replaced discs pads and calipers, but still sticking. 73,000 mile I 10

Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - Bolt

well hello. I have the sticky brakes, have replaced discs pads and calipers, but still sticking. 73,000 mile I 10

But have you replaced with Hyundai pads as they were the reformulated pads, I have no idea if aftermarket ones have been made the same?

Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - memyself-aye

I found on my 2015 i10 (24,000 miles) that if you remove the rear wheels, brush the accumulated mud/dirt from the handbrake mechanism and then spray silicone easing fluid on the linkages it cures the problem (so far)

Hyundai i10 and probably other models. - Sticking rear brake solution from Hyundai - blindspot

best, leave the rear brakes to main dealer. if ever you take them apart ,try and get them back in , so theres some movement. and well lubricated. the calipers shouldn't need leavering off