Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - oldroverboy.

I have some neighbours who are struggling financially..

They were given (it turns out) loaned an Audi a4 estate about 15 months ago after their previous car had dpf/oil pump/clutch probems and they live on a very very tight budget. One neighbour let them use his car for a while, but now they need basic transport.

credit is not an option so here we go!

Does any backroomer within reasonable distance of Essex have a banger or such that is road legal and with a bit of mot and cheaply fixable that they would give for free or for a small amount of money?

I am planning to surprise them, and my insurance would cover me to collect it as long as it is mot'd insured and has a tiny bit of tax on, or i could pay the tax for the ownwer if they tax it on a direct debit and cancel after as soon as we re-register it!

Any offers? They have 3 young boys, do not waste money on holidays and fripperies. The father is very hard working and the mother has a part time job but rent is high...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 04/02/2018 at 08:38

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - argybargy

I'm much too far away from Essex to be of any use to you, but I'm most impressed by your altruism and neighbourliness, ORB.

I hope there's someone here who can help.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - csgmart

If only all neighbours were as thoughtful and kind hearted as you ORB, the world would be a much better place.

I can't help with a car but I would be willing to donate some money towards a run around.

I am Mr grumpy too you know.. occasionally...O:)

Thanks for the encouragement so far.!

He is a bit of a rough diamond, but when his electricians business folded as one of his big customers didn't pay a big big bill (they did it for others too!) he didn't sit on his backside, but went out and got a salaried job, and is paying his creditors off. The company he went to work for collapsed a few months before christmas but again, he found a job to step into. But weeks waiting for HMG to pay out redundancy hasn't helped. In spite of all this they don't whinge and complain, they get on with life.

The Kids are kids.. but invariably polite and we consider them as good neighbours,

And yes, I can remember kindness to me too!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 04/02/2018 at 10:47

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - barney100

Bangernomic car and luck needed. Mate of mine pays no more than £500 for any car and has had good service. Last one a Meriva for £400 and latest edition which has served him 15 months an E class estate which looks a bit tatty but does the job, passed it's mot too.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - scot22

O hope your efforts bring success. When I was teaching O knew many similar hard working families. Unfortunately it's the few who get publicity.

Wish there were more people like you.

Don't know why I keep changing to O !

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - RobJP

If only all neighbours were as thoughtful and kind hearted as you ORB, the world would be a much better place.

I can't help with a car but I would be willing to donate some money towards a run around.

Hear, hear. Good on you, ORB.

As per csgmart, if you're in need of some funds for parts (or them buying and shipping direct to you, for example) or a contribution to the car cost, then please say so, happy to assist.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - RT

Add me to your list of willing contributors.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - scot22

Should have included the same offer.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - macski

Is he an electrician? If so how can he not afford a car, sparkies earnn a fortune!

Is he an electrician? If so how can he not afford a car, sparkies earnn a fortune!

Because,(and this is what i respect them for,) they did not bankrupt themselves to avoid what he owed to his suppliers. He is now directly employed so no "trickery" "chicanery" involved.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - SLO76
I’ve a wee Nissan Almera I’m hopefully taking in against a Yaris next week they could have at cost (£300) but I’m a long way away up in Ayrshire.
Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - Manatee

What part of the country ORB?

EDIT: sorry, just reread and you said Essex

Edited by Manatee on 04/02/2018 at 13:00

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - Galaxy

I probably can't get involved financially, I'm afraid, but I've just had a quick look on Ebay for cheap cars and reckon this doesn't look too bad:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-mondeo-Verona-2001-Very-Lo...8-

Not sure how much it will go for, ORB, but it hasn't got very long to run. Full marks to you, by the way, for your initiative!

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - Doc

It went for £600 which seems to be a good buy.

I didn't think it would go for anything like that amount.

Just goes to show!

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - Oli rag

Well done ORB. Count me in for a donation if it comes to that.

It's nice to be nice.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - John Boy

Well done ORB. Count me in for a donation if it comes to that.

It's nice to be nice.

Count me in too, ORB.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - Nickdm

Hi ORB,

There's another website where forum members routinely buy 10-15 year old cars for next to nothing, fix them up and sell them on more-or-less at cost. Makes interesting reading, and there's probably something cheap there for you to pick up. I won't list the URL here, so as not to compete with HJ, but if you message me I can pass it on to you.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - Avant

Happy to help too, ORB, if need be. Nick's suggestion above looks worth following up.

Happy to help too, ORB, if need be. Nick's suggestion above looks worth following up.

Yes please!

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - AuctionPolice

THIS IS A SCAM DO NOT TRUST IT THIS WEBSITE OR PART WITH ANY FUNDS

THIS IS A SCAM DO NOT TRUST IT THIS WEBSITE OR PART WITH ANY FUNDS

?????????????????????

I have not asked anyone for funds, It is NOT a scam, regardless of some of our kinder contributors offering financial help.

I have in fact located an elderly pug here in colchester from a friend...

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - AuctionPolice

THIS IS A SCAM - INTER DEALER AUCTIONS ARE A DORMANT COMPANY & NEVER SOLD REPOSSESSED VEHICLES AND SHIPPED THEM ROUND EUROPE!!!!

PLEASE DON'T PART WITH ANY MONEY

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - FP

Two posts by someone who hasn't read the thread and who seems to have some bizarre agenda.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - Deft

As others have said - am happy to chip in some cash to get something sorted. An Honest John forum good deed!

Thanks for all the kind offers, lets see what the suggested website offers...

Nickdm refers above to sending a message, with a URL in it, to ORB. I wasn't aware that you could send a private message to another member. If you can, can someone tell me how, please?

Nickdm refers above to sending a message, with a URL in it, to ORB. I wasn't aware that you could send a private message to another member. If you can, can someone tell me how, please?

via avant.. moderators@honestjohn.co.uk

Edited by Avant on 06/02/2018 at 16:35

Thanks, ORB.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - joegrundy

Also happy to help with donation/practical support.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - Bromptonaut

Until I read this thread I'd never thought of people donating old cars.

Last week one of my volunteer colleagues at Citizens Advice had a piston 'blow' on her ancient Corsa reducing it to scrap. A freind of hers has given her an 06 Xsara Picasso which she was pleased as punch to be picking up last Thursday.

The village she lives in has limited bus service and needs a car to get to work and to get her son to school.

Until I read this thread I'd never thought of people donating old cars.

I've seen the odd request for a car on Freecycle (now Freegle I think). I'm all in favour. There seem to be far too many serviceable vehicles being scrapped.

Edited by John Boy on 11/02/2018 at 11:15

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - badbusdriver

When i suffered an icy road related incident in my trusty transit conect, i had been thinking about scrapping it. It was 12 years old, had 135k miles, wasn't really worth anything, and had starting to cost more and more to get it through its MOT. If i had a driveway/garage, i'd probably have fixed it up myself, but don't have that option anymore, and i certainly didn't want to do it outside, over winter!.

But i was speaking to my Brother about it and he said he would speak to a workmate who does up old cars. The upshot being that the old van is going to be hitting the road again soon for a new lease of life. This pleases me no end, as scrapping the van would have been a sad end considering how well it had served me over the last nearly 8 years!.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - joegrundy

Any update on this, ORB?

I too would be happy to bung in, despite the weird nutjob contribution up thread..

A friend here is selling hisold cors 2002, .. I would actually prefer NOT to accept donations, (I understand the incredible kindness of the offers of money, but we'll try to find something that will keep them mobile locally.)

I am impressed by all the kind offers.

Ta!

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - Avant

I've disabled the account of 'Auction Police', whose posts are an insult to ORB's kindness. ORB is as likely to start a scam as I am to buy a Vauxhall.

Wouldn't it be better to remove them?

Oldroverboy is a long established and highly respected member of this forum. To think he'd be involved in anything like suggested by "Auction Police" is completely unthinkable. He made a generous and very kind offer to help someone out, that's all.

Can anyone Help? - A very cheap car to give/or free. - Wackyracer

Have you thought of setting up a just giving page or something for this ORB ?

Edited by Wackyracer on 17/02/2018 at 15:01

An update, they now have a tatty pug 207 petrol..

Thanks for everyones offers, It was incredibly kind, but another friend of theirs has done the trick...

HPS Enterprises - Adele Tayles

We are looking to buy from the above but need a bit of reassurance. After all, we're going to be sending them some cash for a car we haven't seen!

Comments - good or bad would be appreciated.

Sorry, I think this has attached itself to the wrong thread

Edited by Adele Tayles on 17/10/2018 at 20:13

HPS Enterprises - Avant

Possibly even to the wrong forum! If anyone has seen mention of this outfit anywhere on the forum, and I've missed it, please let me know.

I can say that most of us on here would strongly advise you against sending ANYONE cash for a car you haven't seen. Buy locally: much less hassle if anything goes wrong.

HPS Enterprises - Brit_in_Germany

My recollection is that Auction Police started a thread by copying one of ORB's postings then launching into comments about the site he mentioned. The posts here were orobably because he chose the wrong thread for follow-up spam.

HPS Enterprises - focussed

I'm a bit late to this party (story of my life!) but a big round of applause for ORB for this.

I've had my back against the wall a couple of times so I know what it's like.