Any - "Admin fees" - argybargy

We think that we may, just MAY have found the car we want. I won't go into details until and unless we actually buy it, not least because folks must be mighty bored with me droning on about my search.

However, its at a main dealer, and a clue to their identity might be that they have a service called Move Me Closer, where if you find a car at any dealership across their group, they will move it to the branch closest to you for a refundable fee. And we've arranged that.

However, part of the deal we're likely to sign includes an "admin fee" of £98. When I asked what this was for, the answer was rather woolly, and I was reminded of the current furore over fees which are demanded by letting agencies to secure the tenancies of rented properties.

Has anyone ever come across anything similar when buying from a main dealer? Strikes me that this is merely a way of artificially reducing the visible price to make used cars more attractive, then hiking it up again once they've reeled some poor sucker in.

Is any aspect of admin for a company with such economies of scale REALLY likely to cost 98 quid?

Edited by argybargy on 10/01/2018 at 08:07

Any - "Admin fees" - Cris_on_the_gas

Just a trap for the unwary. I'd reduce my offer by the admin fee and see what they do.

Any - "Admin fees" - daveyjp
It is now usual practice for most main dealers.

In the past they would have been included in the overall deal, now they are stripped out and charged separately so we notice them. There is probably an accounting reason for doing so. For example is VAT charged on these fees?

To me its another negotiating point. I either refuse to pay or ask for an equivalent freebie in recompense. In the past road tax, or a tank of fuel etc.

Thanks for the responses.

Other stuff is about to be thrown at us, although none of it is mandatory. Asset Protection Insurance, whatever the Hell that is, for one. Oh, and they'll try to sell me a 12 month extended warranty for almost 400 quid (standard warranty is 3 months).

The car is very low mileage so I won't be taking on any of those "extras", but I did wonder about the admin fee, which being a condition of purchase seems nothing less than pure exploitation.

I'll ask for a year's road tax and see what happens.

Any - "Admin fees" - Manatee

It's all very well to split out an admin fee but it should IMO be included in the advertised price.

I have bought two used cars ifrom main dealers in the last year, a pre-reg Mitubishi and a 6 month old Mazda. Neither asked for an admin fee.

I'd be inclined to tell them their overheads are their problem, and if it's admin they are doing for me I'll do it myself, thanks.

I'm suprised Trading Standards havn't jumped on this.

Any - "Admin fees" - galileo

It's all very well to split out an admin fee but it should IMO be included in the advertised price.

I have bought two used cars ifrom main dealers in the last year, a pre-reg Mitubishi and a 6 month old Mazda. Neither asked for an admin fee.

I'd be inclined to tell them their overheads are their problem, and if it's admin they are doing for me I'll do it myself, thanks.

I'm suprised Trading Standards havn't jumped on this.

Never been asked for such a fee at Toyota or Hyundai main dealers. As said above, I wouldn't pay it if asked. At work we reckoned the cost of raising a purchase or sales order, invoicing etc etc was reckoned as £50, but always absorbed in general overheads, not billed to the customer.

Any - "Admin fees" - SLO76
Just an attempt to inflate the screen price by £98 and it’s on shaky grounds legally. If you’re daft enough to pay it they’ll gladly lap it up, make any deal conditional on removal of this ridiculous additional fee.
Any - "Admin fees" - Ian_SW

Charging an "Admin Fee" on top of the advertised price is a bit like Tesco having Corn Flakes on the shelf with an advertised price of £1.50, and then charging another 10p at the till. I've threatened to walk unless they remove it on at least one occasion, and they've always either not charged it or bumped up the trade-in by the same amount (which I suspect is some accounting fiddle).

The other one to watch out for is dealers demanding payment in full a couple of days before handing over the car for cars not bought on finance. Never do this, because if the dealer goes bankrupt in between you paying and collecting the car you'll never see your money or the car again. The dealer who sold us my wife's current car got quite shirty about this one, and we very nearly did have to walk away. When I relented slightly and offered to pay in a suitcase of £10 notes (car was nearly new, so it would have been quite a few tenners) as a guaranteed instant means of payment, they strangely suddenly decided that payment with a debit card or bank transfer on the day was ok after all....

Any - "Admin fees" - barney100

Seems backroomers agree the fee is just to raise £98 for not much. Just make it a condition of purchase that the fee is removed.

Any - "Admin fees" - Snakey

I've had this several times in the past and simply said I wouldn't pay it. Usually you end up with some guff from the Sales Manager about it being fixed, to which I simply ask for the car price to be reduced by the same amount.

Out of the 4 times its happened it was dropped in 3 cases, in the fourth I simply walked and bought a similar car elsewhere.

Any - "Admin fees" - Dabooka

Same here, my current car had it attached (again, main dealer).

However, in was only mentioned after we had agreed the final price. The agent took a deep breath and said it was non-negotiable, had to be included, but she would immediately reduce the agreed price by said amount 9I think it as around £120?). Net result I paid the same as I agreed and I was not bothered.

I think the points about it being a non-VAT charge may be true, as I believe VAT is chargeable on the difference a car is bought vs sold for by a dealer (including trade ins), and deductions for prep etc. are not taken into account.

Any - "Admin fees" - Engineer Andy

Admin fees seem to be everywhere nowadays. I've just (after a lot of haggling and annoyance) renewed by breakdown cover with the RAC, and noticed that they have a (presumably) flat £37 'arrangement and admin' fee (the overall cost of the roadside/at home cover, before I haggled and with about 13 years no claims bonus) for an overall premium of around £85.

My 'negotiation' to lower the price generally wasn't going anywhere (I had [and told them, as I had done last year] a quote from Green flag for essentially the same level of cover [actually with a few extra items over RAC's level] for a TOTAL cost of about £63) as they disputed they quality/level of cover from their rival for the lower premium.

However, the second I mentioned that the 'admin fee' (given speaking to them only took me 5-10 mins) was, in my view, way too much for the level of work done on that score (especially as I was an existing customer and had all the relevant details), the chap dropped the price by 20% still about £4 more than the Green Flag quote, but the cover was due up 2 days later (and I had found out that their renewal notice letter was wrong saying their phone line was open until 8pm [I get free calls 7pm - 8am] on weekdays) and was on 'auto-renewal', so I didn't want the hassle of having to pay full price then trying to go elsewhere, just for the sake of £4 (I called their 'new business' sales line (which was free all day - 0800 number) the next morning and told them (politely but firmly) what I wanted.

Talk about poor customer service (I've been with them since 1998). Admin fees seem to be used by so many firms and organisations to mask price rises - my home contents insurance (not RAC) does exactly the same, and I have to go through the same process, magically getting a similar discount (often far more) by moaning and threatening to go to a competitor. When will firms learn that if you treat existing (and especially long term) customers the best (i.e. they get the best prices), then new customers see that (as long as its a good product) and WANT to buy the product, existing customers are happy and don't need to phone up customer services, reducing the costs by not needing so many staff in that and the PR/marketing departments, leading to more satisfied customers who do that work for them by word of mouth/internet review etc, leading to more custom and great profits.

Is this wrong?

Any - "Admin fees" - Manatee

It's very tempting, although I'm sure ultimately time wasting, to tell these people that you are going to levy your own non-negotiable admin fee for dealing with them.

Competition doesn't operate in favour of the consumer unless prices are transparent. I'm sure the OFT (who I think are still responsible for Trading Standards) should be taking an interest in this development.

Any - "Admin fees" - concrete

How do they manage any aspect of their business without administration? It is clearly a ridiculous fee and just a simple charge for a service they have to perform anyway. If they did not have admin and paperwork how could they keep track of events? They really do think we are stupid. Tell them you will also charge them at £ 25 per hour for dealing with the paperwork generated by the sale. See what they say. All these costs are part of their business costs which is reflected in the price of everything they sell. Do they charge an admin fee if you have your car serviced there??? I suspect not. Just a try on. Tell them to remove it or no sale.

Cheers Concrete

Any - "Admin fees" - concrete

PS. If you wish to purchase extra insurance to 'protect your asset' then do it privately. GAP insurance is available cheaply for cars from new to 3 years old. I paid about £100 for 3 years GAP cover on a 32K vehicle from new. Do not buy any extras at the dealership, they are simply inflated commission earners for the salesmen. Concrete

Any - "Admin fees" - Ian_SW

Another dodge I've just rembered the dealer trying when I bought my last car. They wanted to charge £20 extra for "petrol".

When I queried this, they said it was 'company policy' for them to put £20 worth of petrol in the car and charge the customer for this. As there was a petrol station about 100 yards from the dealers, and smelling a rat I told them I didn't need them to do this for me.

Given that the car had about a quarter of a tank of petrol in it when I test drove it, I doubt very much whether they would have bothered to drive the car round to the petrol station next door and put the £20 of fuel in.

Cheers for the further responses.

I'm clearly not the only one who thinks they have a bliddy cheek charging £98 for work that an admin officer earning ten quid an hour can probably do in 15 or 20 minutes tops. Therefore as exampled above, I will ask for a reduction in the price of the car if they insist on levying the charge.

Otherwise yes, we walk away.

Edited by argybargy on 10/01/2018 at 16:05

Any - "Admin fees" - skidpan

One local dealer (part of a large group) has a sign outside proudly proclaiming "free 20 minute consultation". Been tempted to go in and see what happens after the 20 minutes are up.

Any - "Admin fees" - blindspot

webuyanycar and their like also have an admin price to deduct from their shown value

In terms of the general experience with this dealer, mixed so far.

We arrived there at the weekend to ask about part ex value and I was quite pleased with the figure quoted. Reduced slightly for a couple of bits of minor paintwork damage, but minimal. It was at this point that the admin fee was mentioned, and where he also informed me, somewhat reluctantly, it seemed, that various extras would need to be discussed because he was under an obligation to offer them to me before sealing the deal.

We'd already seen a car we wanted at another dealership within the same group, so asked for that to be moved and this was arranged. Or so we thought. That evening I received an email from their customer services informing me that the vehicle was no longer available, but I assumed this was merely a case of our request to have the vehicle moved "crossing in the post" with our original enquiry about that car. Nevertheless I rang the salesman next day, left a voicemail and an hour or so later he rang back and confirmed that yes, the car had been snaffled by someone else before they were able to pin it down for us. I'd love to see the timeline for that, but what the Hell, its gone now.

Anyhow he very helpfully searched their used car database and came up with a couple of alternatives, one of which seemed to suit us very well and which is on its way to our local dealership as I speak.

Hopefully before someone else buys it.

Edited by argybargy on 10/01/2018 at 17:26

Any - "Admin fees" - Smileyman

They will get you to sign pages and pages of paperwork, espcially if they are FCA registered which they must be to process finance ....

Asset protection (GAP) is very worthwhile having, look at the HJ website for much better priced products than any dealer will offer.

Thanks for that.

Its a used car which is five years old this May, so I don't think there's much point in taking out GAP insurance.

Fortunately there's no finance involved, because I was too meek to take up the suggestion of going for finance to get a discount and then paying cash instead.