Rover 25 1.4 Model - Petrol Year 2000. - inlet manifold gasket - Delysher

Loosing water and having to top up resovoir bottle (about 30mm depth ) of water loss every three days.

No water on ground or can't see where the problem may be. Only doing 25 miles each day.

I was told various causes for the lose of water and .

1. May be Head Gasket

2. Could be the Heater leaking.

3. or the inlet manifold gasket.

Any mechanics can give me an idea of the time involved in changing the inlet manifold gasket.

If its the head gasket which I don't think it is as theirs no sludge in resovoir water bottle. It is not worth repairing as car is 18 years old.

Time and likely cost to repair the heater.

regards

Delysia

Rover 25 1.4 Model - Petrol Year 2000. - inlet manifold gasket - hardway

Inlet manifold repair time is around 2-2.5 hours,

Problem is they're made of composite material and prone to warping,

Which just fitting a new gasket wont fix.

As for the matrix I'd first try a coolant sealer,

I personalyy use "Wynns coolant sealer".

For the small investment it's worth a try whether it works or not.

Follow the directions on the can.

Rover 25 1.4 Model - Petrol Year 2000. - inlet manifold gasket - Robin the Technician

Hi, On a 2000 model year Rover 25 that's not had the head gasket done already is pretty unique. It will be the head gasket as its a very common thing. Getting the head removed is fairly simple, but guaranteed the head will be damaged and its not really suitable for skimming. A garage will do a 'sniff' test on the expansion tank which will confirm if its the head gasket. I would say its unlikely to be the inlet manifold. The only other possible thing is the water pump - although you would generally hear the pump whirring and you'd have loss of water onto the floor.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Rover 25 1.4 Model - Petrol Year 2000. - inlet manifold gasket - ED731PDH

Inlet gasket seals on K series engines is very prone to failure and water loss, especially for a car of that age. Personally I'd do the inlet gasket first because compared to a head off it's a lot easier and it's an easy win along with if it hasn't gone already it will do so soon.

If that stops the leak, happy days. If not, on to the head gasket.

When doing the work, be aware that it's easy on these K engines to get an air lock in the cooling circuit so care to be taken.