Removing clutch without consent. - Alex Buckley

Hi All,

Took my car to the main dleaer clutch slipping, got it back still slipping. Booked another appointment to have it looked at. While waiting for that appinmtent the clutch seemed to have largly corrected itself. From slipping all the time, badly, to slipping very slightly every 2 hours of driving max.

So I called the garage to ask if I should cancel the appinment, they said bring it anyway and we will take a look. So I did, then I got a call to say the clutch had been removed and that it was tottally gone.

I think the second phone call wasn't logged, and instead of looking at it, to see how it might have repairded, they went straight to a more complex diagnosis and took the clutch out..

So my question is, should they have asked my permission to have removed the clutch? Espcially as, I did call them to ask if I should cancel the appiintment because the problem was almost reolved?

Thanks

Edited by Alex Buckley on 01/11/2017 at 16:58

Removing clutch without consent. - Manatee

Pretty difficult to repair a clutch without getting at it, as a rule. Although they really tell you before spending a lot of your money.

And if it turns out to be knackered anyway...

I suspect you might need to give more information for any useful insight - make and modelm age, mileage.

Removing clutch without consent. - SLO76
You can't repair a slipping clutch, it needs to be replaced. But they should've confirmed that it was gone before stripping anything down, it's clear when a clutch is worn out and slipping so there's absolutely no requirement to remove it to check. On diagnosis you get a price to do the job then ask other garages for a price to compare. I'd do this tomorrow then ask your dealer for a price that matches or comes close to the others. They've been a bit fly here by forcing you to use them but you can still ensure a fair price for the job by getting quotes from elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry it had only done 40,000 miles, Hyundai i10. I think they took it out because they didn't note that it had seemed to repair itself, must have slipped back into place or something. Then when finding nothing wrong with it, they then didn't want to encurred the expenses of putting it back, so just told me it had gone.

Edited by Alex Buckley on 01/11/2017 at 17:23

So the other question here is, can a clutch just slip back into place? It actually sorted itslef when someone else was driving it. So maybe even a differant driving style, might have cause it to slip back?

Any ideas?

Removing clutch without consent. - SLO76
Unless the pedal has become caught in the floor mat then it's unlikely it's just fixed itself. It's either slipping or it's not and the garage would need a 5min test drive to work this out. It sounds very much like you need a new clutch, but it would've been wise to have another garage or knowledgeable person verify it. Too late now as they've stripped it to stop you going elsewhere. All you can do now is either tell them to put it back together again then fight the bill they'll present you for their work so far or get quotes and demand they match or come close. This is the joy of motoring I'm afraid, parts wear out and clutches, especially on city cars like this are wear and tear items which often fail early.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/11/2017 at 17:42

Removing clutch without consent. - KB.

My recollection (as an i10 owner ... admittedly automatic - but my previous one WAS a manual) is that the clutches originally fitted weren't of the best quality. (I was told this by Hyundai's, then, senior technical engineer who visited my home for a test drive). He likened them to those fitted in cars from the Morris Minor era.... (his words, not mine). So 40,000 miles isn't dreadful.

The clutch adjustment featured a lot during discussions a few years ago ... maybe yours went "in and out" of adjustment - although it seems unlikely.

To have had a new clutch at this stage isn't a horror story - it's more a case of whether you had a decent job at a fair price...and, in this instance, it's a shame your arm was twisted a bit and you had less say in the matter than was ideal..

Removing clutch without consent. - oldroverboy.

It won't be too bad a job, don't forget you will have original parts fitted and a hyundai main dealer warranty. i10/i20 clutches were known for this.

Get it done at the main dealer.

Thanks, interesting feedback. And certainly not clear cut.

But how does it stand, can a garage remove a clutch without consent? Because its a big step to take and I'd have thought you'd need owners consent. Because by doing this, they basically rail-roaded me into doing this work. When the last communication I had with them was just to 'take a look at it'.

I know the issues with the clutch might be odd, but some how it did go from a major problem, to almost no problem at all. I can't explain how or why, but I know for a fact that is what happened.

Removing clutch without consent. - Big John

Whether a clutch is slipping badly or slightly it's still cream crackered. A worn clutch can't fix itself - it can change slightly though - it will slip more if it's been overheated but slip slightly less if given time to cool down. They don't fix themselves

To investigate a slipping clutch you really need to strip it down

I suspect this is a communications breakdown between yourself and the dealer, however whatever the circumstances you still need a new clutch.

Removing clutch without consent. - gordonbennet

By asking a garage to ''take a look at the clutch'' you've consented to them removing it because its not possible to 'have a look at it' without taking it out.

Removing clutch without consent. - Engineer Andy

By asking a garage to ''take a look at the clutch'' you've consented to them removing it because its not possible to 'have a look at it' without taking it out.

Quite right, though the garage should've said that, given the problem as described, the likely outcome would be it needing a clutch replacement (as many have said, they can't be 'repaired' when they get like that at that age/condition), and should've quoted the OP the price for its replacement, so they could at least (before it was 'looked at') rung around for prices at other indie garages and a main dealership to see whether their price was fair and reasonable

He was right that not doing so essentially forced him into going with them for the replacement work, whatever the cost was. I think he should (nicely) ask for a bit of goodwill (check local prices and take 5-10% off the lowest [at a reputable outlet] - that's what in this case I would want to pay), i.e. a £30 - £50 discount in recognition of their error in communication.

Removing clutch without consent. - scot22

In my view a very sensible way to have fair resolution without unpleasantness. Recently I had a similar situation with our clutch. It definitely seems to have needed replacement. What if had later failed in a potentially dangerous situation ?

Okay thanks for the feedback guys :)