Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - mss1tw
...build-up, and direct injection diesel don't?

I've read that normal petrol engines are OK as the petrol acts as a solvent on the way into the cylinder and cleans deposits away.

As diesel is a 'sooty' fuel anyway and diesels have been direct injection for ages, why don't they get the same problem?
Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - corax

Here is an interesting link on the subject, although it doesn't completely answer your question.

www.oilem.com/turbo-fuel-stratified-injection-tfsi.../

Diesels do suffer, but the extent seems to depend on how the engine has been maintained and driven, and the design. There aren't many days where I haven't been behind a stinking diesel, they might be suffering from carbon build up amongst other things, causing incomplete combustion.

The build up seems to happen very quickly with some DI petrol engines.

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - Stanb Sevento

In reality all engines produce soot, if they run on oil baed fuel or just about any other fuel, theres soot involved. Some make hardly any others make a lot drpending on fuel type, engine design, fuel addatives and style of driving and as corax said how well maintaned. Diesel, a heavier fuel and harder to attomize and burn is inclined to make more, and modern engines made to run cooler and starved of the excess oxygen they want can make a good bit. This is to reduce NOx production.

Soot is not the big a problem it can be burnt off, its more the ash left behind after itts burned off thats the issue, a non combustable ( at engine temperatures ) mineral deposit that sticks to the combustion chamber, valves and injectors. Direct injection reduces this by better atomization, turning the fuel air nixture into a true gas rather than a mist of droplets. Fuel addatives are desigbed to stop the build up which they do to a large extent.

If you have ever seen a gas boiler being serviced its amazing how much ash is accumulated, a heavy toxic mud.

Edited by Stanb Sevento on 19/03/2017 at 19:01

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - Big John

The latest European spec VAG EA888 petrol (1.8 & 2.0 tsi) has both direct and port fuel injection - this should reduce carbon buildup

Another issue with Petrol direct injection is the creation of particulates - with port injection this used to be classed as negligable. The main reason for the port/direct injection is to reduce this although during this year you will see more petrol cars made with a Gasoline Particulate Filter (Euro 6C)

Edited by Big John on 19/03/2017 at 22:27

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - focussed

Petrol engines have a throttle plate - a butterfly valve in the throttle body, so the inlet manifold is at less than outside air pressure - there's a vacuum in it - when the throttle is at less than fully open. So this tends to suck oil from down the valve stems, - the inlet valve is hot - hence the oil carbonises on the back of the inlet valve when there is no petrol spray to wash it off.

Diesel engines don't have a throttle plate, so the inlet manifold and ports don't have a vacuum in them.

Having said all that - a well worn diesel will sometimes show carbon on the back of the inlet valve from oil from the valve stems and guides.

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - Big John

Petrol engines have a throttle plate - a butterfly valve in the throttle body, so the inlet manifold is at less than outside air pressure - there's a vacuum in it - when the throttle is at less than fully open. So this tends to suck oil from down the valve stems, - the inlet valve is hot - hence the oil carbonises on the back of the inlet valve when there is no petrol spray to wash it off.

A worn engine won't help this and will be made even worse by crankcase pressure blowing oil past valve seals/stems caused by worn pistons/bores/rings & PCV issues)

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - corax
Having said all that - a well worn diesel will sometimes show carbon on the back of the inlet valve from oil from the valve stems and guides.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the carbon from diesel engines seems softer and easier to remove. The petrol stuff seems to bake on hard.

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - Stanb Sevento

Correct me if I'm wrong but the carbon from diesel engines seems softer and easier to remove. The petrol stuff seems to bake on hard.

I think there is some truth in that. The black stuff is relativly easy to remove, Diesel more soot, petrol less soot ? Even fuel addatves remove the black stuff but the light brown ash is a pig, its like stone or ceramic. If it gets too thick it can start to flake off in chunks causing other problems like burnt out valves. I think things are better than they used to be, better engine design, purer fuel and the expencive ulta low ash engine oil all help. An engine decoke was a regular maintenance item at one time.

Edited by Stanb Sevento on 21/03/2017 at 11:38

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - galileo

I think there is some truth in that. The black stuff is relativly easy to remove, Diesel more soot, petrol less soot ? Even fuel addatves remove the black stuff but the light brown ash is a pig, its like stone or ceramic. If it gets too thick it can start to flake off in chunks causing other problems like burnt out valves. I think things are better than they used to be, better engine design, purer fuel and the expencive ulta low ash engine oil all help. An engine decoke was a regular maintenance item at one time.

Too true, did a BMC B series, a Consul and a Zephyr while I owned them, in those days there was tetrethyl lead in the petrol which I think contributed to hard deposits on valves etc.

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - Engineer Andy

The latest European spec VAG EA888 petrol (1.8 & 2.0 tsi) has both direct and port fuel injection - this should reduce carbon buildup

Another issue with Petrol direct injection is the creation of particulates - with port injection this used to be classed as negligable. The main reason for the port/direct injection is to reduce this although during this year you will see more petrol cars made with a Gasoline Particulate Filter (Euro 6C)

That design of dual injection is a good compromise to cover all the bases. I think Toyota are also now doing the same with at least some of their newer cars - definitely an Oriental make, in addition to VAG. The downsides of the original DI systems were one of the reasons I didn't change from my port-injected car a couple of years ago. Let's hope other manufacturers follow suit.

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - mss1tw
Thanks all, been meaning to ask that for ages!
Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - Bob Holden

I agree with all of the comments to one degree or another. The often overlooked area is that the high compression of these new direct injection engines, added to the lighter spring tension on piston rings, means higher crankcase pressures . The oil is getting hotter, more convection of oil (oil vapour) and this oil vapour is passing through the PCV valve into the intake. The deposits in this area often have an oily sheen as they are a combination of combustion chamber deposits and oil.

It does mean that standard servicing is no longer going to be enough for these types of engines. They will need periodic cleaning of the injectors (as they are in direct contact with the combustion gases and, because of the nature of the lighter rings, cleaning behind the rings using a flush (it will need a very high quality flush to do that).

An earlier comment was about piston and cylinder wear. More often it is not wear but the rings have lost their abililty (because of oil deposits in the ring seat) to centre and flex, and deliver the sealing effect they need. Cleaning them properly restores compression and inhibits blow-by. This additional servicing will slow down DI deposits.

It is highly likely that intake valve cleaning will be necessary in 40,-80,000 miles on many vehicles depending on driving style

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - SteveLee

Another possible contributing factor I've never seen discussed is loss of the inlet cooling effect of petrol being injected upstream of the inlet valves.

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Isn't that indirect injection? Direct injection is surely into the combustion chamber.

You are getting your injections mixed up mate.

Indirect and direct injection are terms usually used to describe the two basic sorts of diesels.

Indirect injection is into a pre-chamber in the head with a compression ratio af around 21-1 like the old 1.6 ford diesels and old the Peugeot XDLP motors.

Direct injection is directly into the cylinder into a combustion chamber formed in the top of the piston - like just about every large slow revving diesel - up to about 2500 rpm.

Port injection for petrol engines is spraying fuel down the inlet port onto the back of the inlet valve(s).

Gasoline direct injection (GDI) is injecting fuel directly into the combustion chamber of a petrol engine.

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - SteveLee

Port injection for petrol engines is spraying fuel down the inlet port onto the back of the inlet valve(s).

Gasoline direct injection (GDI) is injecting fuel directly into the combustion chamber of a petrol engine.

Indeed, that's my point, traditional port injection petrols create a cooling effect for the inlet charge and the inlet valve, surely that must make it less likely for oil mist deposits to bake on - assuming there's a meaningful enough temperature differential between the two?

I think it more likely that the petrol spray washes any oil off of the back of the inlet valve so it doesn't get a chance to settle and carbonise.

Do you have any data on the reduction in charge temperature as a result of the cooling effect of the sprayed fuel?

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

The question is about direct injection petrol engines- so no petrol hitting the back of the inlet valves unlike the indirect petrol injection like K-Jetronic etc

.www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4fJAfXYxWk

I'd have thought that the injection patterns were similar, if not in timing, for diesel and petrol.

My gut feeling is the softness of the carbon is mainly affected by the more oily nature of diesel fuels,.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 25/02/2019 at 17:49

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - RT

I seem to recall recently that one manufacturer had added a single port injector to keep the inlet valves clean and cool - the flow/timings of the main direct injectors being adjusted to suit.

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - Manatee

We don't hear so much about it these days despite there being many more GDI engines, so perhaps it is less of a problem than it used to be.

As to why diesels have less of a problem - maybe it's temperature? Diesels to tend to run cooler than petrols, or at least non-turbo ones did.

A related question is whether using superfuels such as V-Power will reduce the deposit build up. As the fuel isn't washing the inlet ports/valves, little benefit there - but maybe there is better combustion/less crud produced, and less unburnt fuel from cold running in the oil?

"As to why diesels have less of a problem - maybe it's temperature? Diesels to tend to run cooler than petrols, or at least non-turbo ones did."

They don't necessarily run cooler - as far as direct injection turbo diesel motors go, it's just that they are more efficient, in other words they convert more of the thermal energy in the fuel into mechanical work- and less combustion heat rejection to coolant, lube oil and exhaust gas than petrol motors.

We don't hear so much about it these days despite there being many more GDI engines, so perhaps it is less of a problem than it used to be.

As to why diesels have less of a problem - maybe it's temperature? Diesels to tend to run cooler than petrols, or at least non-turbo ones did.

A related question is whether using superfuels such as V-Power will reduce the deposit build up. As the fuel isn't washing the inlet ports/valves, little benefit there - but maybe there is better combustion/less crud produced, and less unburnt fuel from cold running in the oil?

No such thing as 'better combustion' between standard Ron95 and superUL. The difference mainly is about ignition timing (knock resistance) and for the branded fuels, the extra cleaning agents included, which on a port-injected car will help clear off carbon deposits (though how much and how quickly is not in the public domain) to some degree. A purely GDI engine will barely get any improvement from using superUL in this regard.

John Cadogan did a good YT video on this subject. Some purely GDI engines seem more prone to issues that others.

Why do direct injection petrol engines get carbon - Manatee

No such thing as 'better combustion' between standard Ron95 and superUL.

Possibly indirectly as a result of keeping the injector nozzles clean?

No such thing as 'better combustion' between standard Ron95 and superUL.

Possibly indirectly as a result of keeping the injector nozzles clean?

My take on the original comment was complete combustion. Admitdely the cleaning effect of the branded fuels with their additional cleaning agents will help an accurate and even spray of fuel. If the injector is already clean, it'll make no difference on that score - the gunk build up spoken of is on the valves.