Any Make - Worst Design Feature - Steveieb
I would like to nominate the VW Passat B6 and Audi A4 for the appalling drain hole blockage problem from the bulkhead scuttle.
Water drains down into the CPU which is situated under the passenger floor and unless you are quick the car is a write off
Any Make - Worst Design Feature - NARU

The water leak into the passenger footwell of MX-5 Mk3s. Fortunately very easy to fix permanently.

Remove the plastic cover under windshield wipers. Find the plastic plug that the panel screws into. Remove the sponge type gasket between plastic plug and metal body and reseal with an acrylic sealant.

Best done on a preventative basis, before the water gets into the passenger footwell. Takes about 30 minutes.

Edited by Marlot on 06/02/2017 at 09:17

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - RobJP

BMW's swirl flaps - especially on the 30d engine, which would break after a few years and be ingested into the engine, wrecking it.

Strangely enough, when they were putting the identical engine into the Range Rover, they didn't fit swirl flaps on it.

Another one : Mercedes, for the automatic gearbox oil cooler being situated inside the radiator. A minor failure meant that your gearbox got instantly contaminated with water-based coolant, completely trashing it.

The VW oil pump connector on the 2.0 diesel engines. The slightest amount of wear, and it wouldn't work. New engine required.

Mazda's oil sump pick-up filter. Not usually changed at a service, and, again, blocks easily and leads to engine death.

There are a lot of these cases, it seems. All of the ones listed above could have been avoided quite easily.

Oh, another one.

BMW Z4 cabrio(first type). Some genius decided to place the motor for the roof into a plastic box (no lid) without any drain point fitted, and then to put that same plastic box in the side scuttle area, by where water runs during rain.

Box fills with water, motor sits in water for years, motor eventually fails. A pig of a thing to get to and change. A couple of 10mm holes in the bottom of the box - or even an open gridded box, would entirely eliminate the problem

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - John F

We've come a long way since Ralph Nader's book 'Unsafe at any Speed' , I suppose only the OAP posters will remember it. Many years ago I had a car with a steering column which was a long rod starting a few inches from the chest and ended somewhere near the front wheel! Sadly, the UK motor industry did not pioneer the introduction of safety developments, e.g. airbags, seat belts, crumple zones etc.

As for engineering bad/impractical design, there have been many....not enough crank bearings, hollow camshafts, inboard disc brakes, water pumps in the wrong place, swing axle suspension, inappropriate use of crackable plastics and other poor original equipment failures known to experienced mechanics.......' oooh, they all do that...'.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - gordonbennet

Various Mercedes of the 90's, engine wiring loom made of a plastic which biodegrades after about 10 years in the engine heat, handily shorting the coils out which in turn spike output transistors in the ECU, leaving you with a miminum bill of £500 via an indy and repaired loom, £1000 if including a complete wiring loom and ECU repair or £3000 if you used the main dealer who only fit new ECU and complete wiring loom, ask me how i know all this, mine cost the middling amount but £1200ish cos had new coils fitted at the same time and the loom repair kit hadn't been made available at that time.

Still with Mercs, coupe's especially often have/had laminated rear screens with a multi wired element similar in how fine they are to a heated windscreen, element sandwiched inside, rear windows delaminate at the edges leading to various strands failing, you don't want to know the cost, think i'm on the third or fourth screen.

Still with petrol Mercs, same years, CHG degrading will allow oil into the water at around 100k, and you'd better get the oil cooler changed at the same time cos that will do the same thing at some point.

I'm an idiot, i worked on hundreds of cars in years gone by and realised long ago that Datsuns (i really don't know if its still the case, they haven't made anything i like for many years and i've had nothing to do with them), Toyota and Subaru made and still make cars with mechanical and electrical integrity even if the bodies rusted as all cars did at one time, barring some howling mistakes of their own in recent years, ie Toyota MMT gearboxes and CHG probs on 4 pot Diesels, and Subaru dabbling in Diesel.

Why its take me so long to return to older Japanese for the home fleet (bar the one remaining Merc i still can't decide what to do with, its cost me £thousands) i can't answer maybe me bumps need to be read, at one time we had three W124 Mercs, talk about glutton for punishment, the more upmarket the model the more they go wrong, the fairly basic E300 Diesel saloon we had appeared to be hewn from granite, completely trouble free.

I had a Landcruiser for years previously, nothing ever went wrong at all, that was written off (but saved SWMBO completely considering it wouldn't have made a single NCP star), why i didn't go straight out and buy another and stick with them for the rest of me driving life is a question that will bug me till the end of me days, i finally returned to Toyota 4x4's in 2007.

Some other makes lists of engines to avoid plus gearboxes of doom, one could probably write a book on, no up to a point it doesn't matter for those who buy new and change when the warranty runs out if it packs up 4 months later, but not all of us actually like new car designs for various reasons nor do we wish to support certain makers nor do we wish to keep paying out for depreciation, so long term durability concerns us more plus we prefer our own individuality whilst its still legal.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - NARU

Copper injector seals on the Toyota d4d diesel engines eg. Landcruiser to about 2008.

The injectors on these cars sit in the oil in the head. As the car ages, the copper seals work harden and allow exhaust gases past. This gradually contaminates the oil, until the pickup filter clogs and the engine seizes.

Toyota (eventually) did a customer service campaign to change the copper seals to aluminium.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - SLO76
I nominate with great pleasure the gloriously pointless automated parking brake as fitted to many VW's, the B6 Passat being most worthy example of such idiocy. A cure for a problem that never existed and a barrage of hassle for owners to boot.

The Citroen Pluriel (or Pleurisy) takes first runner up spot for its insane roof which cannot fit inside the car when removed, thus leaving you with a ruined interior and wet a*** on a regular basis if you were daft enough to buy one in the U.K.

Mercedes also worthy of a mention for the stupid foot operated parking brake which makes hill starts on a manual car a sweat inducing nightmare... thanks Mercedes.

Picking up on Marlot's post about Toyota injector copper seals.

At one time Diesel injectors were screwed or clamped into the outside of the cyl head, just like an equivalent spark plug, there is no earthly reason i can see why that still isn't the case, any leaks of fuel or blow by become obvious long before they can destroy an engine unseen from the inside.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/02/2017 at 10:21

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - nortones2

Toyota Safety System. This ADAS is touted as a safety benefit, but is very unreliable in some models, and verging on hazardous. It is affected by low sun, and brings up a flashing bright warning sign in the dashboard, and ceases functioning until the engine is turned off and then on again. In the rain, in cold weather and sometimes for no obvious reason, the useful automatic headlamp main beam system switches off, despite the windscreen being clean. Can be switched to manual, which required the selector to be turned through "off" whereupon all lamps extinguish. Dipped beam only when you need (and can use) main beam is not a strong selling point on unlit rural roads. Warning signs flashing up time and again are distracting.

It seems to be a problem with Auris and Avensis. Later designs, Prius 4 and CHR have a better basis (millimetric radar) apparently.

Toyota are struggling to solve this: there are a lot of examples.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - veloster

replacing perfectly adequate buttons on the dashboard with a touch screen,

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - corax

All the gubbins to make a diesel cleaner and less polluting. It's an extremely old design that still operates the same as it did years ago. It highlights the fact that it is a dinosaur as far as modern life is concerned, trying to collect all the soot, stop the vibration reaching the drivers feet, clever electronics and high precision injectors to try to smooth the combustion, and although you might not feel the vibration from a diesel, it's still there under the bonnet putting a lot of stress on the electrical components and connections, which chafe and wear out quickly.

Non of it is durable as the car gets older - as we have been finding out.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - focussed

Currently - my award goes to Nissan for their Navarra pick-up chassis that literally falls in half.

I didn't realise it was so widespread until I googled for it.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - bathtub tom

Toyota Safety System. This ADAS is touted as a safety benefit, but is very unreliable in some models, and verging on hazardous. It is affected by low sun, and brings up a flashing bright warning sign in the dashboard, and ceases functioning until the engine is turned off and then on again. In the rain, in cold weather and sometimes for no obvious reason, the useful automatic headlamp main beam system switches off, despite the windscreen being clean. Can be switched to manual, which required the selector to be turned through "off" whereupon all lamps extinguish. Dipped beam only when you need (and can use) main beam is not a strong selling point on unlit rural roads. Warning signs flashing up time and again are distracting.

It seems to be a problem with Auris and Avensis. Later designs, Prius 4 and CHR have a better basis (millimetric radar) apparently.

Toyota are struggling to solve this: there are a lot of examples.

There's ten screens of the problem on the Yaris website: www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/171123-toyot.../

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - nortones2

Indeed. And 17 on the German Auris site - tinyurl.com/gv44wkc

Thanks fo all your replies.

Surprised not to find the BMW 2 Litre engine mentioned with the chain cam at the rear of the engine which apparently can catch on the bell housing.

Can someone elaborate.

Chain cams aren't a problem.

The problem comes with BMWs extended service intervals, which can see the oil in there for 20k miles at a time, by which point it's utterly useless. A few years down the line, all that additional wear caused by the oil being knackered causes the chain to fail. The chain is also lubricated by fine jets of oil being sprayed onto it. So, again, degradation/contamination of the oil leads to those fine nozzles getting clogged up, and the chain snaps.

The extended service interval was brought in for the fleet market to reduce ownership costs in the first 3 years. For no other reason. Once all that engine wear becomes a problem, the fleets have long sold the car.

It's highly noticeable that makers who stayed with short service intervals, even if they have chain cams, have far fewer problems.

Of course, the problem is largely eliminated if you use cambelts, rather than chains, but you then get additional maintenance costs that way instead.

The best way of avoiding the problems is by cutting the BMW oil change interval in half. So, instead of every 18-20k miles, get it done every 10k miles, or annually, whichever comes first.

Renault Megane II headlight bulb change, needing to go through the wheel arch.

On Jaguar S type the V6 gets misfires because the three spark plugs on the bulkhead side corrode from water running off the scuttle and into the bores, and the inlet manifold has to be removed to change them.

Another cracker from the French...

MK I Citroen Picasso. To change the battery you need to unbolt the front passenger seat because some communist twit decided it would be clever to put the b***** thing under it and that it would be funny not to fit any sort of release system for the seat!
Dacia another French owned company imported right hand drive versions of the Duster from India and the rust was showing through the White paintwork within six months of purchase.

But what's going on with the Nissan Navara ? These cars have been around for a long time. Is this a new phenomenon or does it affect older rusty cars.

It's mainly with the D40 that came out in 2005, I believe.

Most likely a combination of factors. Lack of factory rustproofing, lack of chassis care and maintenance over the years, and heavily laden vehicles.

The oldest ones are now 12 years old, and yet people are expecting them to still pull and lug weights that they did when new.

It's mainly with the D40 that came out in 2005, I believe.

Most likely a combination of factors. Lack of factory rustproofing, lack of chassis care and maintenance over the years, and heavily laden vehicles.

The oldest ones are now 12 years old, and yet people are expecting them to still pull and lug weights that they did when new.

I don't think that is a valid excuse RobJp.

A cut/paste from a Navarra owner's forum 2015 here:-

Finally got a reply from Nissan GB Customer services. Their spokeswoman told me that the chassis is not considered to be an integral part of the vehicle so they would not honour the 12 year anti corrosion warranty.

So for Navara D40 owners with rusted chassis rails , your wonderful 12 year anti corrosion warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on.

My chassis is so badly rusted , the garage are unable to weld it as there is nothing left to weld too. The corrossion from the inside out has spread over most of the rear chassis rails.

As usual in these things, the devil is in the detail, however.

To start with, Nissan commercial vehicles - and the Navara is classed as such - are covered by a 6 year perforation corrosion warranty. Not 12. That comes straight from the warranty handbook, which is online. It also specifically states that the corrosion warranty 'covers body sheet metal panels'.

The warranty also states that the vehicle must be "inspected, and repaired if necessary, by an authorised Nissan dealer. Inspection and repair is required 3 years after the warranty start date and annually thereafter."

Finally, the warranty handbook quite clearly states that they belong to ADR (alternative dispute resolution), and that "If we are not able to resolve a dispute, we will refer you to Motor codes, a Chartered Trading Standards Institute ADR provider".

So all those people bleating on about Nissan not covering them for their chassis rails failing, I'll lay a pound to a penny that the annual inspections have never been carried out AND that the vehicles are well over 6 years old, or had been grossly overloaded. Because if they had done the inspections, then they owners be quite willing to go to Motor Codes, and Nissan would be told to carry out the work.

As usual in these things, the devil is in the detail, however.

To start with, Nissan commercial vehicles - and the Navara is classed as such - are covered by a 6 year perforation corrosion warranty. Not 12. That comes straight from the warranty handbook, which is online. It also specifically states that the corrosion warranty 'covers body sheet metal panels'.

The warranty also states that the vehicle must be "inspected, and repaired if necessary, by an authorised Nissan dealer. Inspection and repair is required 3 years after the warranty start date and annually thereafter."

Finally, the warranty handbook quite clearly states that they belong to ADR (alternative dispute resolution), and that "If we are not able to resolve a dispute, we will refer you to Motor codes, a Chartered Trading Standards Institute ADR provider".

So all those people bleating on about Nissan not covering them for their chassis rails failing, I'll lay a pound to a penny that the annual inspections have never been carried out AND that the vehicles are well over 6 years old, or had been grossly overloaded. Because if they had done the inspections, then they owners be quite willing to go to Motor Codes, and Nissan would be told to carry out the work.

I think you should contact this firm of solicitors RobJP.

www.attwoodsolicitors.co.uk/helping-nissan-pick-up.../

I'm sure they would value your knowledge and opinion on the subject - it might save them from undertaking a unecessary court case.

I think you should contact this firm of solicitors RobJP.

www.attwoodsolicitors.co.uk/helping-nissan-pick-up.../

I'm sure they would value your knowledge and opinion on the subject - it might save them from undertaking a unecessary court case.

Regards the parasitic website ... erm, I mean solicitors website ... it's very notable what they do and do not say, and the very weasel words they use. It's also very noticeable that all their 'work' is on a no-win, no-fee basis, and they are 'investigating' whether people would have claims or not. Hell, if it was that obvious then they'd just be going for the throat.

I suspect that they're just trying to drum up noise - hey, it's free publicity.

They're also probably the most (in)-famous of the particular parasite ambluancus-chaserus-spivus. They have links up on their website for VW claims, the Emissions Scandal (their word, not mine, and a different one from the VW claims), Aerotoxic Syndrome claims (I'd never even heard of that one before I read their website), and lots of others.

If there was a real issue with vehicle safety, then VOSA would have done a recall. There have been 15 recalls over the years involving the Navara (both generations) however none of those include rust.

Here's one of the cases of an 'indignant' owner. 2005 Navara, owned from new. In September 2015 it failed. It had covered 22,000 miles a year in the intervening 10 years. The owner had to find his nearest Nissan dealership, as he had no idea where it was, due to the original one having closed down in the intervening decade. That tells you a lot ...

On the website where he ranted about it, others did the same .

2006 vehicle, 230k miles.

2006 vehicle, 158k miles.

We appreciate that you don't like solicitors RobJp but consider:-

If there wan't a problem with the product, merely with the users of the product, why are so many of this model year reported as failing?

Firstly, you said it was the way the product was used and not cared for by users.

Then you launched a rant against solicitors - yes, very fashionable is that.

No one likes solicitors- until they need one.

I expect that you have a solicitor on speed dial RobJp-just in case any of your stock strays on to a road and causes an accident.

But, there are literally hundreds,possibly thousands of this model failing, in of all places - Australia.

No salt, very little rain -hot climate- explain that away if you can.

I've done my time on the warranty desk for for a major manufacturer in the past, some failures are defensible, neglect, lack of maintenance, lack of dealer service history etc - I wrote the book of "100 reasons to reject manufacturer's warranty for warranty engineers" as did a lot of other warranty engineers!

But this this kind of failure is in no way defensible-period.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - Manatee

>>Their spokeswoman told me that the chassis is not considered to be an integral part of the vehicle

Can't see them winning that one in court. It would however need somebody to call their bluff.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - Ethan Edwards

Do remember to open the drivers window first as when the new battery is connected it auto locks the doors.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - csgmart

Renault Megane II headlight bulb change, needing to go through the wheel arch.

Even worse on the Renault Modus - the complete front bumper has to be removed in order that the headlight units can be removed to access the bulbs. I eventually got this down to a 15 minute job - I had plenty of practice!

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - barney100

Had three Mercs with the foot operated brake...no problem at all.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - Fishermans Bend

Austin Maxi gearbox.

All black car interiors.

"Had three Mercs with the foot operated brake...no problem at all."

Autos I assume?
Autos I assume?

Merc autos are so good almost sacriledge to spec manual, how did you fare selling a proper Merc (with correct wheel drive) with a gearlever.:-)

Should have put the gearbox designer in charge of the whole company, it obviously didn't happen because Merc automated manual boxes in their lorries are...words fail me.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/02/2017 at 21:07

Autos I assume?

Merc autos are so good almost sacriledge to spec manual, how did you fare selling a proper Merc (with correct wheel drive) with a gearlever.:-)

Should have put the gearbox designer in charge of the whole company, it obviously didn't happen because Merc automated manual boxes in their lorries are...words fail me.

We got the odd poverty spec 190 or C class in with a manual box which ruined an otherwise nice car with its clunky slow witted change, long travel clutch and of course daft foot operated parking brake that you couldn't gradually disengage like a normal handbrake, you pulled the lever and had to be ready to catch it on the clutch on hills.
Any Make - Worst Design Feature - Smileyman

I do hate the way the air con automatically comes on whenever I select windscreen as a chosen direction for air on the heating ...... if I wanted the air con on I am able to press the relevant button!

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - S40 Man

That is a safety/design features. AC air is drier than outside or cabin air so is more effective at demisting. Makes sense to me.

BL's cost cutting on the origional Mini Metro, particularly the hydragas suspension not being interconnected front to rear which led to far poorer handling and a bouncy ride. The difference between the origional and later K series Rover Metro is night and day because they reintroduced the link that should always have been there.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/02/2017 at 21:21

BL's cost cutting on the origional Mini Metro, particularly the hydragas suspension not being interconnected front to rear which led to far poorer handling and a bouncy ride. The difference between the origional and later K series Rover Metro is night and day because they reintroduced the link that should always have been there.

Interconnection of the Maxi suspension was bad. Anyone dazzled by a Maxi on dipped beam towing a caravan will vouch for that.

BL's decision to waste money on a pointless talking dashboard for the Maestro instead of properly rust treating the door bottoms and wheel arches on their whole range at the time. The later facelifted Maestro and Montego were otherwise good cars but who'd buy one after they seen rot appearing at as early as 3-4yrs?
BMW/Rover's decision not to fix the HGF issue with K series engines when they realised it was a weak point, particularly the 1800 which could pop as early as 30,000 miles. Punters were scared off or p***ed off after big bills to fix them emptied wallets.

Credit also to the lunatic who thought it wise to put three timing belts on the KV6. The very costly job is retinely ignored with the expected results... bang!
Any Make - Worst Design Feature - ED731PDH

A few years back, when VAG Audi's were fitted with aluminium washers in the brake system, and our salt coated winter roads rotted the brake system.

Vauxhall Astra H, having to turn the road wheels and pop out wheel arch panels, then have an arm like a plumbing U bend engineer just to change a headlamp.

BMW built Rover 25s, cheapened the rust protection and watch the tin worm get to work.

BL Metro. Watched two idiots race each other on the North Circular and smack into an artic. The driver of the first Metro that hit the artic had the engine on his lap. The driver of the second Metro that hit the first was on the road rubbing his kneecaps. Deffo shortage of bulkhead material.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - dadbif
Trunnions....and owners who didn't know how to lubricate them
Nissan must be awarded the prize for the Navara that splits in two due to rust traps in a bad design.
Thanks to the poster for drawing our attention to the problem with these 2005 - 6 cars built in Spain.

It looks like the Irish dealers are offering compensation but has anyone got any feedback on this horrendous problem?

On a much less serious note and again back to another French manufacturer Peugeot who have rear light clusters failing on their 207 and 307 due to inadequate earth return cable.
Replacement costs over £300 for lamp and loom.
Any Make - Worst Design Feature - Chickenwire
Trunnions....and owners who didn't know how to lubricate them

Lubricate them? I've been applying the cream for years!

A few years back, when VAG Audi's were fitted with aluminium washers in the brake system, and our salt coated winter roads rotted the brake system.

The Citroen C5 has a version of that in that the aluminium brake caliper is bolted to a steel trailing arm, and sacrificial corrosion causes the caliper to distort and scrape against the inside of the wheel. And the calipers are a pig to remove because the bolts are threadlocked the whole length.

This next one isn't a worst design feature, but more a design feature that has been lost. Many old cars used to supply cold air through the centre vents and warm air through the footwell vents at the same time, a feature I really liked, but it only seems to be confined to BMW's and Mercedes these days.

Some cars have abysmal flow of air through the cabin too.

Edited by corax on 07/02/2017 at 09:20

BL Metro. Watched two idiots race each other on the North Circular and smack into an artic. The driver of the first Metro that hit the artic had the engine on his lap. The driver of the second Metro that hit the first was on the road rubbing his kneecaps. Deffo shortage of bulkhead material.

I had a lift in a Metro once. Felt very uneasy looking through the windscreen and seeing no bonnet, and being driven by a nervous driver (he wouldn't drive on motorways or dual carraigeways). I never liked Minis either - deathtraps.

"I had a lift in a Metro once. Felt very uneasy looking through the windscreen and seeing no bonnet, and being driven by a nervous driver (he wouldn't drive on motorways or dual carraigeways). I never liked Minis either - deathtraps."

No small car was safe back then. They all had the crash worthiness of a wet paper bag...
Wasn't the Metros claim to fame petrol leaking out of the filler pipe when going round a corner, which fell onto a tyre and caused the car to skin.

But returning to the Nissan Navara. Firstly we must remember that this is a car produced by the Renault empire and their approach to compensation has allegedly been different in various parts of the world. A similar theme to the VW emissions problems.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - nick62
I would like to nominate the VW Passat B6 and Audi A4 for the appalling drain hole blockage problem from the bulkhead scuttle. Water drains down into the CPU which is situated under the passenger floor and unless you are quick the car is a write off

I think you will find that the B5 Passat was MUCH worse than the B6, (which had mesh covering the scuttle). Don't ask how I know!

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - Avant

Not so much a cause of unreliability but a potentially dangerous design fault:

On the DS4 (DS as in tarted-up Citroen) the rear door windows stick out at the back and end in a sharp point - something that could badly injure a child of about 4ft high. Said child may also be car-sick in the back as the rear windows don't open at all. One wonders how an idiot like that stylist ever got a job at Citroen, let alone getting the design signed off.

There's also the dangerous touch-screen heating and ventilation controls on some Peugeots and Citroens, but we've discussed that many times on here already.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - brum

I vaguely remember several Allegros at the side of the road, usually near a roundabout, with only 3 wheels. The front wheels had a tendency to fall off.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - brum

Stop/start buttons, particularly those that will only stop an engine in a moving car if held for several seconds that few people realise and have led to a number of fatalities in runaway / unstoppable cars (as a result of some other fault)

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - nailit

Peugeot 405 saloons boot opening, the boot lid had sharp 90 degree edges at the rear corners by design. Hinges were of a long looping type, with only rubber bungs fixed or glued on to provide a 'stop' on the hinge, many cars reported with smashed rear screens followed. As when driver/owner opened boot the strong spring retracted lid but the bung(s) had fallen off. Resulting in the corners penetrating the rear screen. Also typical reliability with my front door electric windows which dropped out of the runners and fell down on my 405 sri when I was in France on holiday for 3 weeks!

Just a few experiences of why I avoid French cars.

Seat height adjustment. If you are going to design a mechanism to raise the seat squab, please design it so that the seat rises, not tip you forward like being tipped out of a wheel barrow. What's the point of just raising the back? Put a mechanism on both front and back!

And if it costs too much, get rid of something else like heated steering wheels, touch sensitive climate control, satnav (always ends up obsolete), electric parking brake e.t.c and spend it on something that really matters.

All the osteopaths and chiropracters should be thanking car manufacturers for keeping them in business.

Why do they change the seats in the next model when the old ones might have been perfectly good? The car might be new, but the basic human anatomy doesn't change.

It happens with running shoes. One year, you'll get a beautiful soft cushioning layer, then they change it for rock hard the following year, then it goes back to soft the next year. You could create a trend graph for this stuff! People get wise now and buy them by the pallet load in a good year.

Some makers do understand. I sit in a Volvo or Saab seat and don't want to get out.

Absolutely true about Volvo and Saab seats. The silly thing is that Triumph understood it too in the 60s and 70s. So did Austin in the 50s although there wasn't the range of adjustments that Triumph offered.

BMW used to have - may still have - a ridiculous seat height mechanism which required you to lift yourself off the seat altogether if you wanted to raise the height. Of course they were trying to get you to pay £1,000 for electric seat adjustment.

BMW used to have - may still have - a ridiculous seat height mechanism which required you to lift yourself off the seat altogether if you wanted to raise the height. Of course they were trying to get you to pay £1,000 for electric seat adjustment.

Their optional sports seats I personally find very good, but you shouldn't have to pay extra to be well supported.

The Recaro seats in older performance cars were superb.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - notagoodname
Off-set pedals - so instead of sitting with your legs in line with your body your legs are shifted to one side - doesn't feel right and not good for one's low back..
Any Make - Worst Design Feature - veloceman
Yes, my Dolomite Sprint had infinite seat and steering wheel adjustments.
Also has the fresh air vents mentioned in a previous post however when opening said vents usually resulted in a face full of dead flies and bits of leaf!
Off-set pedals - so instead of sitting with your legs in line with your body your legs are shifted to one side - doesn't feel right and not good for one's low back..

Does that mean all r/h drive BMW's then?

Triumph Herald suffered this....showing my age now!

Edited by nailit on 08/02/2017 at 17:22

As this thread is getting long is there any benefit in creating a new say second/addendum or shall I just get "me coat" :-)

Just a pain scroll down....

"As this thread is getting long is there any benefit in creating a new say second/addendum or shall I just get "me coat" :-)

Just a pain scroll down...."

Press End.

"As this thread is getting long is there any benefit in creating a new say second/addendum or shall I just get "me coat" :-)

Just a pain scroll down...."

Press End.

Err where is it?

PS I'm using an android phone.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - Engineer Andy

That gets my vote - its just sheer laziness on the part of the engineers designing the car - if many other manufacturers can manage to put the pedals in the correct place for a similar sized car (or smaller/narrower), then so should they.

Number two on my list was the aforementioned cars that you need to go through the front wheel well (spending an hour doing so) to replace a headlight bulb, when it should be a 5 minute job accessible via the back of the light cluster by opening the bonnet only, as it was in my old K12 series Micra.

One additional one I found was on a neighbour's 99 plate Passat (I think a 'feature' on many VAG cars) whereby the battery is tucked right under the middle of the front windscreen, making it almost inaccessible to clamp jump leads to.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - RT

That gets my vote - its just sheer laziness on the part of the engineers designing the car - if many other manufacturers can manage to put the pedals in the correct place for a similar sized car (or smaller/narrower), then so should they.

Number two on my list was the aforementioned cars that you need to go through the front wheel well (spending an hour doing so) to replace a headlight bulb, when it should be a 5 minute job accessible via the back of the light cluster by opening the bonnet only, as it was in my old K12 series Micra.

One additional one I found was on a neighbour's 99 plate Passat (I think a 'feature' on many VAG cars) whereby the battery is tucked right under the middle of the front windscreen, making it almost inaccessible to clamp jump leads to.

Not helped by the UK being a minority RHD country, especially in cars with relatively narrow footwells - still better than American brands who can't manage RHD at all!

While we are on the subject of offset pedals we mustn't forget offset steering wheels.

"Press End"

Thank you Avant a most helpful reply.

None taken btw.

FYI and phone/ipod users, this feature "button" does not exist.

Regards.

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - MikeM100

And extremely difficult to lift the battery out and back again without putting your back out ! Not to mention a pesky plastic grill that gets in the way.

Perhaps that is why nobody cleans the drain holes beneath the battery causing the footwell and the electronic comfort control module to fill up with water

Any Make - Worst Design Feature - KenMavor

Pretty sure there was an old Citroen.....GS I think that you had to drop the engine to fit a new exhaust....only the French could think of that one.

Pretty sure there was an old Citroen.....GS I think that you had to drop the engine to fit a new exhaust....only the French could think of that one.

We used to cut the front valance off and reweld it back on after, the exahust could be fitted ok but you couldn't get to the exhaust manifold bolts and they would leak at the manfold/head joint, and the bolts would snap off in the head for no apparent reason.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/02/2017 at 22:31